First lite mid weight jacket

Jwbfx4

FNG
Trying to decide on a jacket from first lite. I’m looking for something to put on over a kiln or furnace layer when the temps get down a little for tree stand sitting. I have a Woodbury was just wanting to find something in between. I was thinking the sawtooth hybrid or the soft shell catalyst. Looking for likes and dislikes on these.
Thanks.

Sammymusi

WKR
Man this will be hard but I've have the sawtooth hybrid for 2 seasons and I absolutley love it. I usually throw a merino tee and the kiln hoody then sawtooth.. its pretty perfect . I still think of going with the catalyst but just haven't found a need to yet

OP
J

Jwbfx4

FNG
Yea it’s tough to decide without having both of them. I was leaning toward the catalyst for some reason. Thanks.

Hondo

WKR
The Catalyst is more durable but I tend to use the Sawtooth more due to its comfort and versatility. The Sawtooth could also serve as a mid-layer under your Woodbury. There is a place for both in my kit.

They have new gear coming out this spring, seems like I’ve read they’ll have some new wind blocking type shells. I reckon they’ll have some new midweight stuff as well.
I‘d personally try to wait if you can.
I have their kiln, furnace equivalent(400g merino), and Woodbury also.
Down to about 38-40° I just run those merino layers and warm socks/hat/gloves + Toe warmers & hand warmers, and a hand warmer(or super warmer) in the chest pocket of my kiln (heat source directly on your heart). The tundra balaclava goes a long way in keeping your head & face warm too. That might be my favorite item of theirs.
That system works well unless windy. When temps drop lower or if It’s really windy I’ll break out the Woodbury.

Im passing on the catylist/sawtooth and hoping they’ll have a true windblocking shell this spring.
In the mean time, I did just pick up their grid fleece top during the sale that will act as an outer layer with the above layering system.
Next year I plan to use a merino base layer, then puffy vest(either Patagonia macro or micro puff, or maybe down) and then a wind blocker shell system(if they make one) on top.

Last edited:

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't rule out the corrugate jacket paired with a vest. I love mine, its super versatile, and with layering works really well down to 40ish.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm in South Texas, so take this with a grain of salt, but I love my corrugate guide jacket for layering when I don't think the temps will drop below freezing. It's not a true hardshell and I wouldn't recommend it for a Wisconsin tree sit, but I like it for cutting the wind and keeping me warmer down to the 40s. It's even good in light precip. I pair it with a merino base layer and a grid fleece. Colder than that and I'm grabbing the uncompaghre.

coyyota

WKR
Catalyst jacket and pants are great for tree stand. Layers go on nicely under, and face material is very quiet.

Last edited:

MattDisc

FNG
At first glance the sawtooth hybrid seems a bit light.
Can I put a heavier jacket on it ? Or is better to choose something better to wear under the heavy jacket ? (For temps around 30-20s ).

Last edited:
At first glance the sawtooth hybrid seems a bit light.
Can I put a heavier jacket on it ? Or is better to choose something better to wear under the heavy jacket ? (For temps around 30-20s ).
Can definitely wear a heavier jacket over it. Sawtooth would be a good outer layer early season but is more of a mid layer once temps start dropping. It does run a bit smaller than other FL pieces, particularly in the shoulders/arms. Klamath may be a good option as well for your mid layer.

MattDisc

FNG
Well, my son bought the sawtooth hybrid for both of us for Christmas. I've never put a lot of money in outdoor cloths so I can't really compare with similar jackets. I am still very happy with it, seems well made.

Merry Christmas

StoneyWV

FNG
I purchased the Catalyst outfit based on recommendations from few hunting partners. I ended up sending it back due to the build quality not being to a standard I feel it should be on a jacket of this price range. I went with another brand. I had the North Branch outfit of about 5 years ago, and it was a solid built piece for wind protection.

psalm1715

FNG
Consider how you plan to use the piece. Will most of your hunting be in 40 degrees or 20 degrees?
Also consider how it fits with the other clothing you already have. If you typically wear a wool base layer, you may not get a lot of use out of a heavier jacket.