First Lite Obsidian vs. Corugate Guide pant

I’m looking to buy a pair of pant to use on a 7 day N Colorado backcountry elk hunt in September but will end up using it more for stand hunting whitetail in Pa. I like the fusion camo from first lite and I like the idea of wool for quiet, smell free, non reflective but read mixed reviews on the obsidian. Im sure the guide pant is more durable but will the obsidian hold up in the mountains? Considering the cost I want ONE good early/mid season pant.

The Obsidians have held up for me the last two seasons - southern Colorado and Idaho last year. Busted through some gnarly stuff and only have one small hole that the ripstop contained - I also wore the brambler gaiters during some of that time. They are comfortable and most important for me - they don’t stink and I sweat like no one else.

TBHasler

WKR
I’ve had both and would (and did) go with the obsidian if going for only one pant. I’ve found them tougher than what I imagined from some of the reviews that had big durability issues.
I think they breathe better and are much warmer with a base layer which should serve you well for whitetail stand sits.

I have both and love both but I wear Obsidians in September in Colorado. Wouldn’t change a thing about them.

ChrisAU

WKR
I only wear Corrugates, but I don't hunt in September either. I think you'd be fine with either. Also never notice a smell problem on my Corrugates, wore them 6 days straight last October.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned both and like them both but I turn to the Obsidians for archery season, corrugates are the more durable pant for the long haul I'd say but they a little noisy for archery hunting for me personally.

Colorado in September, I would go with Obsidian for sure. Breathability in the wool pant is perfect for that kind of hunt. Plus, as others have mentioned, they hold up much better than i thought they would.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I wore the obsidians in Northern CO as well but in a unit with a ton of deadfall. Ripped a hole in the ankles and a hole on one of the leg pockets but I would say most pants would have ripped on the sharp edges of dead fallen trees when climbing over them all day everyday

Seems like some others have had better luck than my buddies because everyone I know that has had the Obsidians has shredded them within 10 days of use. I bought the Corrugates in late November so I have only got to use them a little bit but really like them. The only downside is they are a little noisier than I would like.

I busted the crotch seam on a pair of kanab 2.0’s, warrantied them, got obsidians in return from first lite (they had discontinued the kanab and the obsidian was the replacement), busted the crotch seam on those too but I just sew it up myself now. I still wear them every September. They’re a good pant. I’m not at all a large dude either. I dunno what the deal is. I guess I spend a lot of time down in the third world squat and the crotch seam can’t take the load. I would size up to give myself more room down there but I don’t have the waist for the next size.

Anyway, TL;DR obsidian is a great pant but learn to sew.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I wear the guides 90% of the time, until late season. Had 2 pairs of the Kanab 2.0s, purchased one, a large hole opened up in crotch where the wool meets the spandex material they use in the inseam, and through warranty got another that wore a few holes in under a season, not even rips just material started wearing away. Never had an issue with the guides. Unless the obsidians have increased the durability substantially, I'd go corrugates.

Rockhound

FNG
I wore my Obsidians for about 8 hunts here in southern Appalachia before busting the knee open when slipping and falling. The Sitka thermals I had on undernearth were fine and it did not seem like a hit that should rip pants. First Lite is being excellent about customer service and replacing so I will try them one more time - hoping my first experience was a one-time thing. They are very nice pants, really love them. I plan to buy a pair of Corrugates as well.

rm06

WKR
I've gone back and forth with FL's wool pants, their breathability is what brings me back. I can put on a good sweat in warm weather and absolutely hate clammy legs which I always get with synthetic pants. The latest iteration of the Obsidian actually fit me pretty well and I really like them, they check all the boxes for me for warmer weather hunts.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to buy a pair of pant to use on a 7 day N Colorado backcountry elk hunt in September but will end up using it more for stand hunting whitetail in Pa. I like the fusion camo from first lite and I like the idea of wool for quiet, smell free, non reflective but read mixed reviews on the obsidian. Im sure the guide pant is more durable but will the obsidian hold up in the mountains? Considering the cost I want ONE good early/mid season pant.
Have been using the Kanabs and Obsidians with included suspenders for years during September archery elk hunts here in the high country. Primarily hunt in dark timber where there is a lot of bettle-kill deadfall. The suspenders make a huge difference in crossing deadfall as they keep the pants up higher in the crotch, helping with mobility. The suspenders also make a big difference if you are carrying a pack as there is no need for a second belt under your pack. The latest version (Obsidian) are great with much-improved pockets. Hard to beat Merino wool and First Lite has added more durability to these now.

I have both and the guides rarely get used, if ever, any more. But I don't climb 1000 vet feet in an hour either. I hunt Ut, Id and Az. Sept thru Dec.
The Obsidians are your ticket.

I will sometimes use the guides for Aug scouting, trail cam checking.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure the OP already purchased his pants for his hunt. However, this year was the first year that I used First Lite products exclusively. What a difference.....in every catagory. I have both the Obsidians and the Corrugate Guide Pants. You cant go wrong with either. Obsidians for early hunting to handle cool mornings and evening. I used the Corrugate Guide pants exclusively when the temps consistently dropped. I too hunt the PA whitetail season. If I had to pick one, based on what you mentinoned, (Sept out West and PA Whitetail Season) that would be difficult. But knowing how the PA weather can be so tempermental, I would go with the Corrugate Guide Pants. Save up and buy both....You wont be dissappointed! Also, I belive FIrst Lite will be at the Harrisburg show this year, check them out there if you can.

OP
Jahvette20
Since I posted this, which I had forgotten about it nail this resurrection, I have hunted extensively in both. 15 days and over 100 miles chasing elk in the corrugates and all whitetail season in the obsidians here in pa. I was worried about durability of the obsidians so I chose not to take them out west but in hindsight they would have been fine. The guides were comfortable though from low 20s in the mornings to mid 70s afternoons covering a lot of terrain. My obsidians basically still look like new even with a lot of off trail still hunting. I am conscientious about not getting them snagged on branches and briars but that’s how I hunt regular less of what I’m wearing. Planned on picking my favorite out of the two and selling the other but they both have their place in my kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you feel as though the corrugate pants hold warm well vs the obsidians? I know the obsidian are designed for lower temps

OP
Jahvette20
Do you feel as though the corrugate pants hold warm well vs the obsidians? I know the obsidian are designed for lower temps

I haven’t done any stationary hunting in the corrugates but did a lot of hiking in them with short stops in the high teens and 20s and never felt a chill. From what I have experienced they both would serve well in the same temps. The biggest advantage I’ve found with the obsidians is they are dead silent while the corrugates come out on top in durability (not needing to baby them). Both are extremely comfortable and non restrictive.