First Lite or Kuiu Clothes

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So I've got a few things from First Lite already but I wasn't happy that my new pair of Kanab pants ripped and didn't even last me a season. I'm thinking about maybe switching over to Kuiu but wanted everyone's input on the clothes if you have owned or used both. Are the Kuiu clothes tougher and more durable then First Lite?

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
If they were 2011 First Lites you may want to buy a new pair. They are completely different. 2012's were much better. My 2011's ripped in the crotch, they gave me a refund.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
They were the 2012 Kanabs. Ripped the whole knee off pretty much. Snagged a small pine bush. I didn't think it was anything but my buddy eyes were huge and said "dude your pants are shredded".

dotman

WKR
I have the Kuiu attack pants and after 8 months they show wear but it isn't bad and they will probably last another year or more. I would like to try the new FL softshell pants but also would like to give Kryptek a try. Too many good options all of a sudden.

I haven't tried the new version of the Kanab pants but they do sound much better.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
They were the 2012 Kanabs. Ripped the whole knee off pretty much. Snagged a small pine bush. I didn't think it was anything but my buddy eyes were huge and said "dude your pants are shredded".

I would call FL up, they might replace those.

Whisky

WKR
I love merino, but it's not made to be outerwear. At least not in a pant. I had 2012 Kanab's and they didn't last 1 weekend in the backcountry. Seam split in the crotch, as well as a tear. First Lite was good about it, and gave me a new pair, which I sold.

No experience with KUIU other than a vest I ordered and returned because of sizing issue. It felt pretty tough though. You may want to wait until First Lite releases their new outerwear too. Think they got a nice non-merino pant coming out.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I was also looking at the Sitka mountain pants but seemed heavy as hell for early season.

Ya, I might wait to see about First Lites new softshell.

If you want something durable, go with the Guide Pants from KUIU. My attack pants seem a bit thin and not as durable as the guide pants.

I love my First Lite gear and haven't had any issues with the new pants at all. Great pants to wear in a dry climate, but I wouldn't want to be in them if the weather called for much rain only because I don't think they would handle the wet conditions very well. That said, they have their place in my clothing arsenal and I find myself wearing them more than any of the other pants I own.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I thought about the Guide pants but I defnitely would like to try them on before buying. Just sucks there is nowhere to try this stuff on before ordering. Its a ton of cash to switch over a whole camo setup too.

I love my First Lite too and really don't wanna switch but man i wasn't happy with those pants ripping so fast and early in the season. Might just order another pair and see how it goes. Probably my cheapest option.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The guide pants are way to hot for September and iffy for October if your hiking. The attack pants are very durable.

As for merino, I like First Lite.

Yeah Ryan, I wouldn't wear them in Sep either, was just saying they are very durable from what I have experienced with them thus far.

I absolutely love my First Lite gear and I will wear it til they no longer make it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I really like FL base layers. The Kuiu Attack Pant is my favorite hunting pant, and they have been extremely durable for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I agree Nick. The attacks early and the guides late. Both have been very durable for me.

Haven't had any kuiu, but prior to this year I had a bunch of Sitka gear and loved it. Tried out the First Lite this year and not sure when I'll be wearing any of the Sitka again! I loved my Kanab pants and hunted a week in the high country of Colorado with them and a week in the high desert in New Mexico and had zero issues. Looking forward to trying some of the new First Lite line this year.

The new puffy coat and rain jacket are both pretty darn sweet! I wore the rain jacket in the shower the other day with my KUIU Chugach bottoms, I stayed bone dry and I was in there for 15 mins. The puffy coat was excellent while glassing for sheds this past weekend as well. Up on a high ridge, the wind was howling. What I liked the most about it was the cut is a little bigger so you can just slide it over everything you have on with ease. Pockets seem to be in a good spot as well. Will know more after this coming weekend but so far I am impressed!

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Hey Nick.
Are you talking about the new First Lite puffy and rain gear?