First Lite Quality Going Down?

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Someone has to pay for The Meateater videos. Cut production cost and make more money.

I think it was probably just the end of the day, and whomever was working the line in China just threw in the towel on the finish work.
But…to have two different pants with the same issue, plus some wonky stitching, I would expect more.

Don’t get me wrong, same thing could happen with Kifaru, Marsupial, or Origin, but it would most likely just be a Mexican throwing in the towel. Much less likely tho here in the States.

This is coming from a Mexican/Italian, so no one get their pannies in a bunch. I identify as an American, and believe in ‘America First’. 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
I've had great luck with my 6+ year old Corrugates. Got a pair of Corrugate Foundry pants last year and I've had zero issues.

Every company has some stuff that just doesn't hit the mark. I'm going to try Forloh in the future.

I don't know if they're quality has suffered or not but I have returned to them for poor quality stitching.

I ordered a hoody on which every end of a seam had extra thread hanging off. At one spot, it was like a little rat nest. Some of these were up to a few inches long.

If it had fit perfectly, I would have just trimmed it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The last time I bought any First Lite items was probably at least 13 years ago. Cabela's had their Llano's on sale for $35 so I bought two. They sent L instead of XL and had no more XL in stock, so I sold them to a local guy. $35 was about my top end limit for base layers, and every merino top I've bought since has been much less than that. So ya, I avoid FL and most every other high cost branded gear.

i have never had a problem, but have seen some ugly stitching.... i personally don't care even a tiny bit considering what i use them for.... i have not had the ugly stitching turn into anything worse than ugly stitching... besides the kanabs, i have always had good luck with first lite.... i have a sawtooth vest that is completely shredded, but not due to build quality, just my pack belt wearing out the merino over 3 years... i love that thing and still wear it.... not fashionable for sure, but still has too much function to throw out, haha

obsidians don't hold up very long, but that's the nature of merino, and i still always have a couple pairs because i like them.... it's not a durable material, but have never had an issue with build quality from them.... i own lots of different hunting clothes, but seem to favor first lite a little more than other companies, and i like how their patterns aren't so trendy looking like most others

Attachments

• 3F5959B8-6AAA-457C-AA4F-22DD842D3F3A.jpeg
    3F5959B8-6AAA-457C-AA4F-22DD842D3F3A.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 51

IdahoHntr

WKR
Just sent my corrugate foundry pants back for warranty because the stitching was coming apart/came apart in 3 different places (cuff, belt loop, and seat). One season of use. The durability has definitely left something to be desired... If I hadn't won a first lite gift card there is no way I'd own a pair of their $200 pants, especially if they aren't going to last.

The good is that I really do like the pants. By far the most versatile pants I've ever worn. Wore them August through November and they were extremely comfortable all the way through. Waterproof seat and knees are great, like the front facing pockets a lot, and the vent zips on the side are probably my favorite feature. Just don't leave them wide open when you hit the well traveled hiking trail on the way out of the backcountry. You might get some laughs from the girl scouts as you walk by.. ha.

I also emailed them about my warranty need at 10am on a Friday and had a shipping return label by noon. Customer service was top notch.

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Just sent my corrugate foundry pants back for warranty because the stitching was coming apart/came apart in 3 different places (cuff, belt loop, and seat). One season of use. The durability has definitely left something to be desired... If I hadn't won a first lite gift card there is no way I'd own a pair of their $200 pants, especially if they aren't going to last.

The good is that I really do like the pants. By far the most versatile pants I've ever worn. Wore them August through November and they were extremely comfortable all the way through. Waterproof seat and knees are great, like the front facing pockets a lot, and the vent zips on the side are probably my favorite feature. Just don't leave them wide open when you hit the well traveled hiking trail on the way out of the backcountry. You might get some laughs from the girl scouts as you walk by.. ha.

I also emailed them about my warranty need at 10am on a Friday and had a shipping return label by noon. Customer service was top notch.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The an older pair of corrugate foundry I have, no issues, same with my obsidians. Just had an issue with these new pairs. Own tons of their kit, no other issues. And I would agree the customer service is fantastic

I bought a pair of catalyst foundry pants a couple months ago and spotted a couple sloppy threads. Then the stitching on the ankle that connected the zipper came out. Thankfully they warrantied it and I had a new pair of pants in a couple weeks.
Other than that I actually really like the fit and pocket layout, we'll see how long this pair lasts.

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
What did FL say when you contacted them?
Not much…Just that they would honor a straight up return even tho both pants were on the sale…But I told them I would accept nothing less, as I was underwhelmed and would be waiting for my Obsidians to blow out before I bought anything else.

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of catalyst foundry pants a couple months ago and spotted a couple sloppy threads. Then the stitching on the ankle that connected the zipper came out. Thankfully they warrantied it and I had a new pair of pants in a couple weeks.
Other than that I actually really like the fit and pocket layout, we'll see how long this pair lasts.
Ya I love the first pair of corrugate foundry I got from them, but they are an early run from when the pants were first released. No issues. The front facing pockets are fantastic.

My sister just bought a pair of the obsidians for a trip to Arizona. She ended up with 3 large rips in them while my $40 Eddie baur pants didn’t have a single tear. First lite customer service basically laughed at her when she called after the trip saying it was her fault.

OP
B

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
My sister just bought a pair of the obsidians for a trip to Arizona. She ended up with 3 large rips in them while my $40 Eddie baur pants didn’t have a single tear. First lite customer service basically laughed at her when she called after the trip saying it was her fault.
That’s strange, my cousin blew out a belt loop on his corrugate foundry last week, first time out. They warrantied it, just requested a picture. No fuss

NDGuy

WKR
It's all Gucci overhyped, like Sitka or Kuiu is any better lol

Same with all these new companies popping up outta the woodwork with the latest and greatest camo pattern.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This issue about the merino Obsidian pants tearing has come up in several threads. I have a pair and they can tear if you catch them on something. I have a small hole or two in mine. But that doesn’t surprise me and I would not expect them to be warranted against holes or tears. It’s merino.

Last edited: