First Lite Sanctuary Durability

Tmuck44

FNG
I am looking at purchasing a set of First Lite Sanctuary Bibs and Jacket for the upcoming season in PA. I have been reading the reviews, a majority of them being positive but the one comment that sticks out is the questionable durability. Spending over $700 I would like to know that it will last for quite a few years.

Anyone have any comments on this?

The fabric seems pretty fragile but it’s too hot to walk in most anywhere. I’m still happy with my set.

H80Hunter

WKR
As far as I can tell the only reports of durability problems are just hypothetical... People saying it doesn't SEEM durable. If you take it through a bunch of brush I have no idea what will happen to the clothes, but you'll be so uncomfortably warm you'll welcome the breeze through any holes you do tear. I've never had a tear in 2 seasons using it and neither did my brother. We're walking a mowed path/trail to the stand with the legs vented and no issues.

Don’t wear it walking to the stand and it will last you many years. It’s too warm to wear to the stand anyway IMHO. I always pack mine out than put it on when I get to the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pezboat

WKR
I second, third, or whatever number we’re on that you won’t wear it walking to the stand it’s too hot. You’ll sweat too much and then no amount of clothes will keep you warm. I’ve have my set for 3-4 seasons now. I’m actually surprised by how durable it is. The material on the outside is really stretchy. I’ve gotten it caught on climbing sticks going up or down from the stand. Thought to my self, shit, that’s a tear for sure. But it hasn’t happened yet.

I ripped mine pretty good the first time I ever wore them (bibs). I wore them walking to the stand because it was freezing and only a 400 yard walk. Caught on a down log around the knee and ripped pretty good. It was a broken branch that I don’t think anything else would of caught, I think because the material is so soft and stretchy, it catches on things easier. This isn’t to say don’t get them, just something to be aware of. They also don’t slow wind down a bit, so if in an open tree stand on windy days, something to keep in mind as well.

Scrappy

WKR
I have the jacket and loved it. Then it just stopped being warm at all. Finally figured out all the insulation lost its loft, no loft no warmth. Stuffing it in my pack for packing in and out I'm sure caused it to loose its loft. Live and learn I guess.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Why take the chance on it when you could go sitka and have no durability issues!? :oops:

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had mine for a while (5 years maybe) and they are still in good shape. Warm, comfy, and have been durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I had sanctuary and got fanatic, both bibs and jacket the fanatic wins hands down for everything.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not the most durable but that’s not what’s it intended for. Don’t be busting brush with it...like said above I’ll lack my jacket in and vent the bibs with the zipper. Shit is warm! Did a few coyote stands this last winter and dipped down to -30 with wind chill and held up just perfect.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
In my case, $400+ savings compared to incinerator is why.

That’s why there’s the fanatic. Price is the same as the sanctuary and more durable. Only downside is no hood.

jodorouse

FNG
For what it’s worth, I ripped my FL puffy jacket within a couple days after getting it. Had a stick grab the pocket and rip it right off the side of the jacket. I sent First Lite a picture and sent it back and they gave me a full refund (credit to another purchase anyways). Guess that doesn’t speak to durability as much as it does your wallet.

That’s why there’s the fanatic. Price is the same as the sanctuary and more durable. Only downside is no hood.

The Sanctuary is more aligned with incinerator warmth (unless it’s real windy) and is not the same price. Fanatic jacket is $54 more than sanctuary. Fanatic bibs are $114 more than sanctuary.

Fanatic is not as warm as I’d like for all day November sits in MN.

I hunt north east PA and NY and I had a sanctuary bib and a Woodbury jacket. The sanctuary was to warm for me. I swapped it for the Solitude set and like that a lot more. I have run mine from high teens (with some layers) to 40s and like it a lot.

the exterior fabric on both is not bomb proof but is a good balance of durability and quietness. I agree with the comments above, that you are not going to walk far in them without sweating. The fabric also doesn’t block strong wind very well.

as far as warmth goes, I see the order as

- stratus
- solitude
- fanatic
- sanctuary
- incinerator

when i upgraded last year I focused on the solitude and fanatic and ultimately feel like the solitude was more versatile. I have used mine for duck hunting and could see using it for turkey if it is that cold by then. The Sitka stuff is awesome, but very specialized for hunting from a stand.

OP
T

Tmuck44

FNG
Thank you all for the comments! I’ve been building out my gear with FL and plan to stick with that. I did take a peak at the incinerator but after seeing the jacket costs almost as much as the set it brought me back to FL.

I’ve had my sanctuary set for almost 4 years now and have yet to rip a hole. Usually a carry the jacket but on really cold days or short walks I’ll wear my bibs. I’ve had a couple “oh shit” moments when I got caught on something with them, and take a look to discover not a blemish. The material does feel very fragile, but most of my experience, everything just seems to slide off. Obviously a big snag will most likely tear a hole.

keeping an eye on this thread as i'm comparing the sanctuary to the solitude as well... durability is a factor though with all the thorns around my areas...