First Lite Sanctuary vs Solitude

Bdouble

FNG
I am looking to buy a new set up for Wisconsin whitetails and for those of you from the upper mid-west, you know the temps get pretty low. Does anyone on here own either the Sanctuary or Solitude setup from First Lite in an area where the temps are low? Solitude seems more versatile with layers and I've heard the Sanctuary gets pretty toasty. Looking for some field tested advice before I pull the trigger if anyone has any.

Hope everyone's season is off to a tagged out start!

Thanks in advance.

Whisky

WKR
I have a Sanctuary jacket. 0 experience with the Solitude, it was not available at the time I purchased the Sanctuary..
If your primary use is very late season, stationary hunting, I think you would like the Sanctuary. I only bust it out when I'm in Wooltimate pants/bibs and pacboot type of weather though. It is toasty, and a bit bulky. Not very versatile at all.
Having never handled the Solitude, I can't say how that would be for versatility.

OP
B

Bdouble

FNG
I have a Sanctuary jacket. 0 experience with the Solitude, it was not available at the time I purchased the Sanctuary..
If your primary use is very late season, stationary hunting, I think you would like the Sanctuary. I only bust it out when I'm in Wooltimate pants/bibs and pacboot type of weather though. It is toasty, and a bit bulky. Not very versatile at all.
Having never handled the Solitude, I can't say how that would be for versatility.

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard the Sanctuary can be bulky and toasty. Never been to Wyoming but I'd guess the temps get pretty brutal like in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin.

i own both. the sanctuary is def more bulky and runs bigger. The solitude is more of an athletic cut. The sanctuary could sometimes be to be to warm here in the northeast. i wont wear it until the temps are in the teens. the solitude with some layering is my favorite.

OP
B

Bdouble

FNG
i own both. the sanctuary is def more bulky and runs bigger. The solitude is more of an athletic cut. The sanctuary could sometimes be to be to warm here in the northeast. i wont wear it until the temps are in the teens. the solitude with some layering is my favorite.

That is what I was thinking too. Solitude seems more versatile and could probably be more flexible with layers for the lower temps. Being athletic cut how do the sizes run? I am 5'10, 200. I wear a Large Catalyst and Uncomapghre and a Large Catalyst pant.

i can double check when i get home from work. but i am 99 percent sure its the solitude is the same size as my catalyst jacket. and the the sanctuary is size down 1

Correction. The sizing on the solitude is between the catalyst and the solitude. I am 5,10 190. My sanctuary is Large and my Catalyst is XL and my Solitude is Large, i wish the sleeves were a tad looser.

i could probably fit into a medium sanctury

I would go Large on the Solitude for you.

OP
B

Bdouble

FNG
Correction. The sizing on the solitude is between the catalyst and the solitude. I am 5,10 190. My sanctuary is Large and my Catalyst is XL and my Solitude is Large, i wish the sleeves were a tad looser.

i could probably fit into a medium sanctury

I would go Large on the Solitude for you.
Any room for layers in the Solitude? I might be running the Klamath Hoody, Sitka Heavy/Midweights, or other thicker layers depending on Temps. thanks for the insight!

NDGuy

WKR
Hey OP I have the old Solitude jacket and it's pretty nice but I wish I went Sanctuary for more warmth. It has failed a few times with keeping me warm during a bowhunt. It doesn't block wind at all, but it's roomy for layering. Go with your usual size it's meant to be bigger.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I own the Sanctuary suit and the cut on the Jacket is great for bow hunting. I've used it in mid 30's with under armor 4.0 top and bottom and just obsidian pants to late season 0 degrees with a couple layers. I'm amazed at how quiet it is and thought out the pockets are. For reference I hunt North Central, MN and used it in late October through the end of rifle season.

Most evenings sits in Nov I just used the jacket. The bibs weren't needed. There was some slight noise from the bibs at first due to the waterproofed seat, but that fades with use. I'm a big fan of it. It's not 100% windproof, but FL doesn't shine in that category.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I had the solitude bibs and it doesnt cut wind at all. Loved everything about it but if wind is any factor at all, pass on the solitudes.

I got sitka stratus and fanatic this year. I made sure to have wind in mind and settled on these. They are super nice and confident ill be much more comfortable this year

OP
B

Bdouble

FNG
I had the solitude bibs and it doesnt cut wind at all. Loved everything about it but if wind is any factor at all, pass on the solitudes.

I got sitka stratus and fanatic this year. I made sure to have wind in mind and settled on these. They are super nice and confident ill be much more comfortable this year

Thanks for the feedback, a good friend runs the Fanatic setup and he loves it. What state do you live in?

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Central AL. Fanatic may be overkill, but on cold days im gonna try it with no layering

I had the solitude and it was too much bib for me in NY/PA temps from 20-40 typically. I sold it and picked up a set of sanctuaries. The updates tot he design are great. Big fan of the pass through pockets on the jacket. It worked great last year from the mid 40s down to high teens or so. Had a little layering for the lowerend. If I was going to do long sits below freezing I would go sanctuary but for me, with milder northeast winter, the solitude works well.

OP
B

Bdouble

FNG
I had the solitude and it was too much bib for me in NY/PA temps from 20-40 typically. I sold it and picked up a set of sanctuaries. The updates tot he design are great. Big fan of the pass through pockets on the jacket. It worked great last year from the mid 40s down to high teens or so. Had a little layering for the lowerend. If I was going to do long sits below freezing I would go sanctuary but for me, with milder northeast winter, the solitude works well.
Thanks for the reply. That is what I am thinking too.

H80Hunter

WKR
I wore the Sanctuary bibs and Woodbury jacket with some basic underlayers down at around 10 and was perfectly comfortable. I'd think the Sanctuary set (I just got the jacket, as well as the whole Solitude set) would be good down to 0 with a base layer and heavyweight fleece under it. Hands, feet and head would be cold before your body I'd imagine.

Which way are you leaning? Upper midwest?
Right now I have the sanctuary in my cart but just haven’t pulled the trigger. NE iowa, bowhunting and i will sit all day long in November. Been in the teens in the mornings some times and just have gutted it out but maybe i’m getting smarter or just a bigger puss, idk.