First lite sawbuck pants? upland hunting pants question

AFenny11

FNG
Hey All, I'm looking for a pair of pants that would be suitable for upland hunting mid-late season in the midwest. Need to hold up to walking through cattails, briars, and take a brush up with barb wire without shredding. Just looking to upgrade from the typical brush pants that are blue-jean with the carhart-like covering on the thighs. Anyone use the FL sawbucks for this? If they would work and also double as a mid/late season tree stand pant would be a bonus.

Last edited:
Wife got me a pair for Christmas last year. They held up well for rabbit season. Havent had a chance to use them for anything else. I didn't test them on any barb wire. I plan on using them for doves and quail this year too.

NDGuy

WKR
Anyone have updated experience with these? I need a new pair of upland pants.

Superdoo

WKR
In the fall I’m always spending the majority of the day in chaps. If you’re looking to stretch to late season chaps will keep you much warmer.

I have no experience with the sawbucks. That being said, for the money you have a ton of options. What’s making you want SBs in particular?

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I wore the sawbucks last season for pheasant/deer hunting in IL and they held up great. Only thing I dont like is my legs get wet on the damp mornings but they dry out quickly.

NDGuy

WKR
I wore the sawbucks last season for pheasant/deer hunting in IL and they held up great. Only thing I dont like is my legs get wet on the damp mornings but they dry out quickly.
That was my worry with them being that guide pant material.

I am thinking I may go the chap route or just something cheaper like the Browning pant

ChrisAU

WKR
Wore mine yesterday putting out cameras and minerals. They are worlds above carhartts or traditional updland pants in high temps IMO, much more comfortable and keep you much cooler.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn a lot of brush pants over the years and the Sawbucks are far and above the best I have ever worn. They move with you and are not constricting. I've used them extensively since they came out and they still mostly look brand new minus the dirt and grime stain from falling into a swamp. Bear hunting here in PA is very brushy and thorny. I'm not sure what the one section was of thorns, but they were longer than barb wires and there were no issues going through them, no pulls, tears, etc. As far as wetness, they are DWR coated and will shed water and when I fell in the swamp, they dried extremely quick.

NDGuy

WKR
I've worn a lot of brush pants over the years and the Sawbucks are far and above the best I have ever worn. They move with you and are not constricting. I've used them extensively since they came out and they still mostly look brand new minus the dirt and grime stain from falling into a swamp. Bear hunting here in PA is very brushy and thorny. I'm not sure what the one section was of thorns, but they were longer than barb wires and there were no issues going through them, no pulls, tears, etc. As far as wetness, they are DWR coated and will shed water and when I fell in the swamp, they dried extremely quick.
I just am unsure if I want pants that get wet/damp. In ND, usually have snow on the ground by November so I'd be pissed walking around with wet pants all the time.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I just am unsure if I want pants that get wet/damp. In ND, usually have snow on the ground by November so I'd be pissed walking around with wet pants all the time.
I've worn them in the snow/rain and never felt like they were wet or damp. Nothing like carhartt or jean type brush pants. Those things feel like a wet soggy diaper walking around. The only time they felt damp, as noted above, is when I feel in a swamp. It was leaf covered and I didn't notice it. I wasn't wearing gaiters so moisture got up both sides of my pants. I don't think there is anything on the market that wouldn't have felt the same.

NDGuy

WKR
I've worn them in the snow/rain and never felt like they were wet or damp. Nothing like carhartt or jean type brush pants. Those things feel like a wet soggy diaper walking around. The only time they felt damp, as noted above, is when I feel in a swamp. It was leaf covered and I didn't notice it. I wasn't wearing gaiters so moisture got up both sides of my pants. I don't think there is anything on the market that wouldn't have felt the same.
Thanks man. I ordered some after reading a few threads guys seem to really like them and they seem pretty versatile.