First Lite Solitude new wind proof

H80Hunter

WKR
I’ve used both. I feel like they have pluses and minuses. They’re both very great treestand pieces. The stratus fits more “normal” to me. The solitude has some extra room that’s a little unnatural when sitting(so that you can use the kit link muff). The solitude also has a high collar that I just hated as it’s not only high, but also stiff so it’s tough to fold over. The stratus is like the the 30-60 degree gold standard for a good reason. I think the solitude is warmer, more like maybe 20-50 but I personally have other stuff for 20 degrees anyway. Can’t really go wrong, but you may have personal preferences that lead you to one.

Stratus is a softshell and more similar to the catalyst. Solitude is an insulated piece, which would be most similar to the fanatic in terms of insulation level.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’m in the same boat. I love the solitude set. The warmth ratio hits perfect for my Midwest hunts they are typically between the upper teens and 40 degrees, harness pass through, zippers everywhere to dump heat, and silent. But the wind cuts through it. I may sell my old set and try the new set with the membrane. I really don’t mind the old set that much so I am conflicted. If the new wind layer makes it crunchy, I don’t really want it.

I’d considered the stratus but I don’t really like the elevated pattern and I don’t know if it will get me down to 20.

That would put me in the fanatic on cold days, I don’t really want to have two expensive sets like that. My pops had the fanatic and it was super nice but I hated the high pile fleece. He was always combing the cockleburs and mud chunks out of his shag carpet face fabric. It is also overkill on most days and you’re packing it in if you’re walking any real distance.

The Sitka outerwear is unmatched in durability and functionality but if the wind layer is right on the solitude, that’ll be the only jacket and bibs I need for what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
I’m in the same boat. I love the solitude set. The warmth ratio hits perfect for my Midwest hunts they are typically between the upper teens and 40 degrees, harness pass through, zippers everywhere to dump heat, and silent. But the wind cuts through it. I may sell my old set and try the new set with the membrane. I really don’t mind the old set that much so I am conflicted. If the new wind layer makes it crunchy, I don’t really want it.

I’d considered the stratus but I don’t really like the elevated pattern and I don’t know if it will get me down to 20.

That would put me in the fanatic on cold days, I don’t really want to have two expensive sets like that. My pops had the fanatic and it was super nice but I hated the high pile fleece. He was always combing the cockleburs and mud chunks out of his shag carpet face fabric. It is also overkill on most days and you’re packing it in if you’re walking any real distance.

The Sitka outerwear is unmatched in durability and functionality but if the wind layer is right on the solitude, that’ll be the only jacket and bibs I need for what I do.

I just ordered both sets to compare and plan on returning one. I couldn’t get the new solitude bibs as they are in stock yet. I don’t like the EV2 pattern of Sitka either but it’s such a high quality garment that I think would work good for me.

I’ll let you know what I think of the new solitude and if the wind membrane adds noise. I’m excited to try both out

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’m excited to hear the results. The Sitka stuff is definitely high quality. From what ive messed with in person, they are definitely the best thing going for whitetail outerwear. The pattern and price have discouraged me thus far but whatever you find might sway me.

Side note: I’m gonna call pnuma today. Their waypoint setup is intriguing.

OP
S
I’m excited to hear the results. The Sitka stuff is definitely high quality. From what ive messed with in person, they are definitely the best thing going for whitetail outerwear. The pattern and price have discouraged me thus far but whatever you find might sway me.

Side note: I’m gonna call pnuma today. Their waypoint setup is intriguing.
So…. I have the Pnuma Waypoint as well. I have a serious problem and admit lol. I have the older camo version. I really like it a lot the only problem for me is fit. I can’t layer much with the jacket. With a thick mid layer it’s real tight on my shoulders. Unfortunately, I had the same problem before with another coat and couldn’t draw back on a nice buck that came in. It was really cold and I just couldn’t get the bow pulled back. So long story short I’m worried about that happening again with my waypoint. Other than that I don’t have any negative things to say about it. It’s really nice stuff.

I think the stratus or the solitude is gonna work better for the hunting i do. Thanks for your response and I’ll let you know my 2 cents when my stuff arrives.

bigbuckdj

WKR
So…. I have the Pnuma Waypoint as well. I have a serious problem and admit lol. I have the older camo version. I really like it a lot the only problem for me is fit. I can’t layer much with the jacket. With a thick mid layer it’s real tight on my shoulders. Unfortunately, I had the same problem before with another coat and couldn’t draw back on a nice buck that came in. It was really cold and I just couldn’t get the bow pulled back. So long story short I’m worried about that happening again with my waypoint. Other than that I don’t have any negative things to say about it. It’s really nice stuff.

I think the stratus or the solitude is gonna work better for the hunting i do. Thanks for your response and I’ll let you know my 2 cents when my stuff arrives.

I think me and you have the same problem. I called pnuma today, I think I’m gonna end up with a Selkirk, new solitude, and old solitude, and maybe one of those heated vests. I’m all over the place.

Sometimes sitting for 13 hours gets it done, and sometimes being able to move stands in the middle of the day gets it done. I just want to be confident I won’t over heat if I’m moving or freeze if I’m not. I can’t ever leave well enough alone.

OP
S
I think me and you have the same problem. I called pnuma today, I think I’m gonna end up with a Selkirk, new solitude, and old solitude, and maybe one of those heated vests. I’m all over the place.

Sometimes sitting for 13 hours gets it done, and sometimes being able to move stands in the middle of the day gets it done. I just want to be confident I won’t over heat if I’m moving or freeze if I’m not. I can’t ever leave well enough alone.
That’s awsome. I also have the pnuma heated base layer shirt. It’s phenomenal!!

I totally agree. Hunting is my passion as well. I train, prepare and wait for it all year. I want to have what I need to be the most comfortable to enjoy it as much as I possibly can.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I got the jacket in this week and it has a touch bit more noise than the previous version but it's not much more.

OP
S
Both the First Lite Solitude and Sitka Stratus we’re delivered. I tried everything on and the stratus is the clear winner for me.

Don’t get me wrong the First Lite stuff was really nice but it was much more of a big winter jacket. The windproof Solitude seemed very quiet to me and is full of nice features. The link kit zipper so you can utilize the kangaroo pouch on the origin
Hoodie or bibs underneath was really cool. In my opinion the Solitude is much more comparable to the Sitka fanatic. It was a really big winter jacket though if I’m being honest. It was tight in the sleeves which is good for bow hunting but a pretty big coat nonetheless. I didn’t have the bibs as they aren’t available to order yet but both of them would be a big bulk of clothes to carry in. I don’t see any way I could walk much at all with it on. I’d be way too hot. It was super nice, quiet and very warm for sure but just wasn’t what I am looking for as a mid to late season piece here in southern Ohio.

I think a better comparison to the Sitka stratus would be the first lite catalyst system combined with the new insulated whitetail puffy (source jacket) they just came out with.

I was never a fan of the EV2 but the quality, fit and functionality of the stratus was impressive. I think it’s going to fit the bill perfectly for the vast majority of my season. I love the fit and feel. I talked to some buddies of mine who have it and I think with a combination of the pieces I have will get me through almost the whole season. I’ll throw my first lite sanctuary stuff on when it get super cold but I’m confident my stratus bibs, jacket, fanatic hoodie, base layers, traverse pants and Costco light weight down puffy will cover the rest. Maybe my whole season. I like the camo a lot better in person and I’m trying focus more on better backdropped setups and less movement this season anyway. The Sitka just seemed better quality overall. My wife’s first impression was the same. She thought the Sitka was a much higher quality garment.

This is just my opinion of course and hope it helps someone out as they try and figure out what will work best for them.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Thanks for that! How do you feel like it compares to the waypoint set you have? Did you get the stratus pants or bibs?

OP
S
The waypoint is super nice also. It’s just tight in my shoulders and I don’t want to bump up to a 2x as I’d be swimming in it. I haven’t used the stratus yet so based on feel and what others have told me, I think the stratus is going to be warmer than the waypoint. I think the stratus is gonna work better for what I’m trying to do. Pro of the waypoint is less burrs.

I got the bibs. I’m normally a pants guy but am glad I went with the bibs for the full length zipper. Zipping them down for ventilation I can see walking in a ways and setting up with out totally overheating

bigbuckdj

WKR
Do you feel like the stratus will get you to a low enough temperature to switch to the sanctuary? I was overheating in the sanctuary unless it was in the teens for the most part.

OP
S
Do you feel like the stratus will get you to a low enough temperature to switch to the sanctuary? I was overheating in the sanctuary unless it was in the teens for the most part.

I think so. I typically put the sanctuary on at 30 degrees. I just pack it in. Throw the bibs on with the legs vents open before I get in my stand. Then after I cool down in 45 min or whenever I get cold I throw the jacket on. Walking in the sanctuary- not an option for me. I’d be sweating like I was in a sauna haha.

Based upon what you said you have, you should easily be able to get the stratus down into the 30’s or even 20’s (with a heated base layer it may go lower, but i have never tried anything like that).

I have taken my stratus bibs down to low teens with a base, mid, puffy layer and the stratus over top. The noise level of the puffys under the stratus was negligible as i hunted and had deer within 7 yards of me on a super calm day at 11 degrees low temp. That was with a fanatic jacket on top with a base and mid layer as well, but no puffy layer on top, just the jacket. Did really well.

The stratus bibs are way better functionally than the pants. They keep you warmer and extend longer season than the pants (i have never needed more in south OK, but ymmv) and the full leg zips are money for dumping heat on the walk in. I do also like the extra kidnet coverage for wind. On super windy days the pants and jacket can leave a small area less protected in the small of the back. The bibs just do away with that.

I am sure you will be happy with your choice.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
Stratus is a softshell and more similar to the catalyst. Solitude is an insulated piece, which would be most similar to the fanatic in terms of insulation level.
Stratus is NOT a soft shell. It's a windproof fleece. But yes not insulated. The stratus is more or less dead silent. A jetstream is a softshell and has a little noise to it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wish Sitka was still making the bibs in talls. I don't understand their reasoning sometimes

OP
S
Based upon what you said you have, you should easily be able to get the stratus down into the 30’s or even 20’s (with a heated base layer it may go lower, but i have never tried anything like that).

I have taken my stratus bibs down to low teens with a base, mid, puffy layer and the stratus over top. The noise level of the puffys under the stratus was negligible as i hunted and had deer within 7 yards of me on a super calm day at 11 degrees low temp. That was with a fanatic jacket on top with a base and mid layer as well, but no puffy layer on top, just the jacket. Did really well.

The stratus bibs are way better functionally than the pants. They keep you warmer and extend longer season than the pants (i have never needed more in south OK, but ymmv) and the full leg zips are money for dumping heat on the walk in. I do also like the extra kidnet coverage for wind. On super windy days the pants and jacket can leave a small area less protected in the small of the back. The bibs just do away with that.

I am sure you will be happy with your choice.
That’s very encouraging to hear. Thanks for the input!

bigbuckdj

WKR
Man y’all are talking me into it, I know the sanctuary and fanatic were too warm for almost everything I do. I’m wondering if I could use the stratus for everything.

We’re you able to find it on sale somewhere?