First Lite Specter

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Well as of right now it's a pattern. Coming out spring 2021. No other products mentioned. The pattern to me seems pretty meh. Don't think I'll wanting to trade my Sitka stuff for it right now without new products. I like the fusion better still.

I was actually expecting something very different than what we got. We got fusion 2.0. I was expecting either a lighter skyline pattern (similar color scheme to elevated II) or a blaze camo based on their fusion or cipher skins.

The talks I had on the phone with them last year is they had windstop materials in testing, so I assume that is coming.

Fit and comfort are so much higher for first lite, I just need them to get that last bit of function added and I could hunt to 40 below.

NDGuy

WKR
78135322.jpg

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like a slightly more abstract Flecktarn. It's a fine pattern, but it's really just a reason to sell fanboys their same clothing in a new color. I say that as a guy who owns a decent amount of FL also. Unless it comes with new wind stopping/resistant items, it's an easy pass.

Gore tex and sitka are owned by the same people, so I don't think they would allow FL to use gore tex.

There are a handful of brands that use gore tex textiles in their hunting clothing. They charge a premium for the gore name so it probably wouldn't make financial sense for FL.

It aint hard to find a material that works as a wind shell, there are countless options. Even waterproof/breathable membranes are a dime a dozen. Most of these companies just buy an existing technology and stamp their name on it maybe with a little tweak.

NDGuy

WKR
There are a handful of brands that use gore tex textiles in their hunting clothing. They charge a premium for the gore name so it probably wouldn't make financial sense for FL.

It aint hard to find a material that works as a wind shell, there are countless options. Even waterproof/breathable membranes are a dime a dozen. Most of these companies just buy an existing technology and stamp their name on it maybe with a little tweak.
Right? This isn't a situation where FL's hands are tied. They can work with someone else to add ANY sort of wind proof tech to their heavyweight still hunting line.

Split toe

WKR
How about they make some pants with some zippers (like Kuiu) so a guy can dump some heat, you know something functional. This pattern just looks like a mixture of fusion and cipher to me. Not a chance in hell I'm buying any new pieces just for the pattern.

Sincerely First Lite loyal customer

ChrisAU

WKR
How about they make some pants with some zippers (like Kuiu) so a guy can dump some heat, you know something functional. This pattern just looks like a mixture of fusion and cipher to me. Not a chance in hell I'm buying any new pieces just for the pattern.

Sincerely First Lite loyal customer

Hip vents are coming. There have been a couple Meateater/First Lite posts showing Janis Putelis wearing some recently.

As a whitetail hunter in the southeast, this pattern does nothing for me. Looks like another western based pattern, from western hunters, for western hunters. It essentially looks like a mashup of Cipher & Fusion. No reason to buy it if you already have Cipher or Fusion, imo.

I‘ve been wearing FL stuff for about 4 years. The patterns are okay, pretty versatile, look good when the sun is shining on it, but in the darker bottom lands, dense oak timbers or pines they’re bright, especially at dusk and dawn.
It’s the light tan/cream/sand base color.

I was really hoping for a darker pattern, maybe utilizing greys, or just something with a darker base color.
I’ve heard the FL guys refer to
Realtree/mossy oak patterns as “dark blobs”, but when you’re in darker low country, dense timber, or in a tree stand strapped to an oak or pine, its pretty much perfection.
And I’d say 95%+ of deer hunters I know down here, whether stalking or in a stand, spend most of their hunting with their back against an oak or pine tree(unless they’re in a blind).

As for FL clothing items, I just wish they’d make a warmer, heavier duty wool beanie and a warmer hoodie (either pullover or 1/4 zip). Maybe a furnace hoodie?
Bonus points if it has a windblocker liner sandwiched in it.

That, and enough with the over-branding and bright orange logos & names all over the clothing. Tired of heading into the woods looking like a nascar driver.
Black sharpie takes care of it but it would be nice if I didn’t have to do it at all.

Attachments

• 229CCBE6-FF83-400F-AC85-FD26E6CCC78F.jpeg
    229CCBE6-FF83-400F-AC85-FD26E6CCC78F.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I think fusion does pretty well in Alabama. But I do agree this pattern does nothing for me. Some Grey's and brown tones would have been much more appealing but honestly I'd take fusion and wind layer and be happy

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a mix but I like it better than both of the current ones. Interested to see a side by side in several environments.

I really think First Lite disappointed a lot of their customers with this release. If they are really working on windbreaking materials they need to state that. I would assume having only one whitetail pattern is a branding decision based on the concept of having an unmistakable First Lite appearance. One can easily identify Sitka and Kuiu patterns, first lite, not so much. I honestly don't see this pattern accomplishing that, it seems so similar to Cabela's/Bass Pro patterns that only the discerning eye will notice a difference. I would have preferred they limit the line to two patterns with light and dark options.
I am also not convinced that there isn't some sort of disconnect between their whitetail prostaffers and product design. They need to gamble and jump ahead of Sitka with some innovative products. Give us a true system which includes layers you can walk to stand in that vent and can handle some brush. They need to actually be useful when in the stand, the catalyst and corrugate series provide no benefit if needed as a midlayer. I'm imagining something similar to Sitka's Midi system. Make it easy to add and remove layers in tree stand without removing harness, or pulling down bibs/pants. Get rid of reliance on loud puffys that lose insulation value when compressed.
The Solitude set was a huge step in the right direction as a versatile midweight set. For my tastes the Bibs could have used slightly more insulation and the jacket slightly less. Add wind resistance and its near perfect.
First Lite should also be watching in the rear view for KUIU getting serious about whitetail gear at some point.
Simplify whitetail baselayers to the wick, kiln and furnace. Make hooded option and side zips on all pants. Maybe include stirrups on pants so they don't move when adding layers.
Make a boot cover. An insulated wind/waterproof boot cover that was durable, quiet, easy to put on, and not oversized would sell unbelievably well. Make a muff in a similar fashion.

I really think First Lite disappointed a lot of their customers with this release. If they are really working on windbreaking materials they need to state that. I would assume having only one whitetail pattern is a branding decision based on the concept of having an unmistakable First Lite appearance. One can easily identify Sitka and Kuiu patterns, first lite, not so much. I honestly don't see this pattern accomplishing that, it seems so similar to Cabela's/Bass Pro patterns that only the discerning eye will notice a difference. I would have preferred they limit the line to two patterns with light and dark options.
I am also not convinced that there isn't some sort of disconnect between their whitetail prostaffers and product design. They need to gamble and jump ahead of Sitka with some innovative products. Give us a true system which includes layers you can walk to stand in that vent and can handle some brush. They need to actually be useful when in the stand, the catalyst and corrugate series provide no benefit if needed as a midlayer. I'm imagining something similar to Sitka's Midi system. Make it easy to add and remove layers in tree stand without removing harness, or pulling down bibs/pants. Get rid of reliance on loud puffys that lose insulation value when compressed.
The Solitude set was a huge step in the right direction as a versatile midweight set. For my tastes the Bibs could have used slightly more insulation and the jacket slightly less. Add wind resistance and its near perfect.
First Lite should also be watching in the rear view for KUIU getting serious about whitetail gear at some point.
Simplify whitetail baselayers to the wick, kiln and furnace. Make hooded option and side zips on all pants. Maybe include stirrups on pants so they don't move when adding layers.
Make a boot cover. An insulated wind/waterproof boot cover that was durable, quiet, easy to put on, and not oversized would sell unbelievably well. Make a muff in a similar fashion.
I like your thinking.

Spoke to a FL rep this morning.... no updates to sanctuary set. Just a new pattern. Not sure about other lines ...

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Spoke to a FL rep this morning.... no updates to sanctuary set. Just a new pattern. Not sure about other lines ...
Damn that sucks. I really hope they update the solitude set at least then. I just can't fathom having a whitetail line with no wind layer. I know it's been communicated to them. Maybe we need to call in and straight up ask them