First Lite Traverse Gaiter Fit

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders. I’m always searching for a quieter gaiter and have about given up on GTX—too noisy once it’s freezing.

How are these Traverses fitting you all, and with what footwear? I ordered the L/XL
bba5d8dbdc31727991577b8c436bae28.jpg
and can’t wear them with the 10” Schnees pac boot. They barely go over the boots, and are so tight on my calves, I wouldn’t dare hike in them.
9033e3360b4009fcf4437100f4abd185.jpg

Are they just not made for even a smaller pac like the Schnees?

I got them over my Schnees Bridger but they’re just a light hiker
c2fa95e0622fc0b8cb29de605bbb0324.jpg

I got them over the Lathrop & Sons Tek-Light, but pretty tight there too
48e31d573d8ae85a6f1d608409a02daa.jpg

Bridget says there is not a larger size.

Am I expecting too much here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
They run small and are designed for shorter boots. I've used them a bit with trail runners (Altra Lonepeaks) and they work well for what they are. They aren't waterproof by any means but they keep the junk out and dry quickly. They breath better than waterproof gaiters and are quieter than most gaiters. I feel like they are designed more for use in warmer weather but that's just my take on it. I can get them to work okay on some shorter Lowa Zephyr boots but that's about as tall as I can comfortably go.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Robby I’ve mentioned to first lite several times at various functions their gators are drastically undersized. I feel the same with their socks. I can’t even get the tall or short gaiters on my legs with tennis shoes. The quietest I have found are the kuiu Yukon but they still make a little noise when it gets cold but most of it comes from the Velcro. I think there is a New Zealand company that has a quiet pair but I can’t remeber the name.

My lady couldn't even get mediums on lol.

I to believe they are more of a summer, shorts and just to keep the rocks out of your boots.
I like to wear shorts on summer hikes but never could because I'd get a pebble in my shoe every 50 yards.

I'm not even sure there meant to go over pants.

Have you tried the Kenetrek hunting gaiters Robby?
They are I believe gore with and outer fleece/flock.
Only the camo ones have the fleece.

Maybe see if you could get your hands on a pair of those.

They definitely run small. They work on my short hikers, they barely fit on my tall hunting boots. I will check out some of the suggestions

If your looking for quiet, Kenetreks camo ones are wisper quiet. Quieter than the Kuiu's.
I tried FL's Brambler gaiters and they were a hair too big for my size ten boots.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys thanks for chiming in. I should’ve done more research on these, I just ran into her at the show and told her what I was looking for so she sent me a pair to try. But yeah, they’re definitely for the smaller boots and light hikers. I will try Kenetreks, they were a sponsor for a while and I didn’t realize they had those. I’ll buy a pair. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I think they are really just a gaiter for debris. The material is the same as corrugate pant so it is not waterproof and isn't going to do magical things against scree or rock or whatever. I ended up sending mine back. I have been really happy with the Brambler gaiter, but it might be too noisy for what you are looking for.