First lite uncompaghre puffy jacket

Bru2

FNG
I’m looking into getting a new puffy jacket and I’m thinking about getting the first lite uncompaghre. Just wondering if any of you have it and what you think of it.

matthewmt

WKR
Its alright, its fairly quiet for a "puffy" I've hunted in mine for the whole day a few times this year so it won't burn you up unless you're really moving and its been pretty durable moving through brush etc. I did have one that a seam failed on the waist draw string and they replaced it. If its really windy or raining I just throw a marmot precip over it.
I believe they have a uncompaghre 2 and not sure if thats the model I have or not.
There are certainly a ton of puffy coats with different fills etc that are a fraction of the price.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I use mine strictly for hunting. Its a static piece for me, along with puffy pants. I like the design and it keeps me warm.

I’ve got the Kifaru LPP, Kuiu Kenai, and Kuiu Superdown, and I had the uncompaghre 2 until a few days ago.

if I’m only worried about weight, I bring down. If it’s super frigid, the LPP comes.
The Uncompaghre took the place of my Kenai for daily wear and temps down into the twenties. Mine was stolen on Tuesday, and I’m ordering a replacement tomorrow.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve owned 3. love the performance and wear it on most of my hunts after late September unless running my Kryptek warm weather gear.

they’re not the toughest garment out there. I usually get 2-3 seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wera44

FNG
I have 2 and they are my favorite jackets. Warm for what they are and extremely packable.

Trr15

WKR
I’m on my second one. Blew the zipper out on my original uncompahgre earlier this year and replaced it with a 2.0 about a week ago. I don’t have any field time with the 2.0 but it is noticeably smaller than the original (which was oversized IMO). I like the fit of the new one better. Seems like they’ve improved the zipper as well.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m on my second one. Blew the zipper out on my original uncompahgre earlier this year and replaced it with a 2.0 about a week ago. I don’t have any field time with the 2.0 but it is noticeably smaller than the original (which was oversized IMO). I like the fit of the new one better. Seems like they’ve improved the zipper as well.
the zippers hold up better in these later versions for sure.

NoWiser

WKR
I have one. It's nice and I wear it often. It's pretty loud when temps get much below zero. If you are looking mainly for warmth, there are much better options.

Spoonbill

WKR
I have been happy with mine. The new zippers are awesome, my first one failed and so far my second one has held up.
There may be a better one out there for your specific needs, but as a general puffy its pretty great.

I have the 2.0 and I like it. The fit it not the best for me personally. Large was too bulky and the medium is a hair tight. I stuck with the medium. It does pack down great and I wear mine all the time. If I had to do again though I might just get an eddie bauer for a quarter of the cost. Just my opinion

Tbuckus

WKR
I’m guessing mine is an original version, but my only complaint is it seems too oversized, especially around the waste. I have a 6 pack size beer gut, so maybe the half rack or kegger bellied people would say it fits them great.
hope that helps

JohnnyB

WKR
Just spent the day glassing for bear in my Uncompaghre (morning and evening as it was too warm in the afternoon). Very light and versatile. Used it last year in Montana in single digits along with other layering pieces and threw it on over a baselayer this week in the high twenties to mid thirties.

I don't wear it hiking because it is too warm so I haven't had any durability issues. Some blood stains that didn't come out, but that is my fault for not taking care of it sooner.

I have the first version and like others have mentioned it seems big. I think it's supposed to be that way for layering, but I'm a pretty skinny guy, so even with other layers it's still pretty big around the waist. Cinch cord helps suck that up a bit, but it's still a little wide through the torso without thick under layers. Arms are perfect. I was worried I wouldn't like a non-adjustable cuff, but the elastic has held up after 2 falls and now into the winter season with regular use. I second others' comments regarding durability, but in all fairness it isn't meant to go through brush. Overall I like it quite a bit but if I wanted a super tight fit the sitka kelvin was awesome in the store- I just wasn't a fan of how it rode my belt line so high- didn't think it would keep my back warm when sitting and glassing for long stretches. That's where the extra waist material is nice on the Uncompaghre. My $.02

My zipper kept getting caught on the pocket liner and finally tore a hole in the pocket. Definitely dont think this is a $200 jacket

Spoonbill

WKR
Uncompaghre or Kelvin lite down? Just curious.
It depends on use. The kelvin is going to be alot warmer. The uncompaghre is lighterweight and its also synthetic insulation. They are really two different jackets.