First lite uncompaghre vs stone glacier grumman

DanTesta

FNG
Looking to see if anyone has experience with both of these jackets. I am headed out to Idaho this spring for my first western hunt and finishing up buying my gear. I already have the first lite jacket but am interested in the SG grumman and wanted to see if anyone had experience with both and how much of a difference there might be between the two.

Jbehredt

WKR
The Grumman is in a different league for warmth. Definitely have a place for both in my closet.

The Grumman is in a different league for warmth. Definitely have a place for both in my closet.

^ This. Not even close as a comparison. I actually sold my FL. Grumman is much warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyllanmurray

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the Grumman last week. Hands down the best down jacket I have ever owned. It is incredibly light and warm. I’m 5’8 and 175-180lbs, I picked up a large to be able to layer underneath it. It’s a bit big but I prefer my puffys to fit that way. 10/10 will buy again.

bigherm

FNG
I'm new here, first post actually. But I've owned about every hunting puffy available on the market. If you're looking for a comparison just between these two jackets, it's not even close. The Grumman is way lighter and way warmer than the FL 2.O. The fit is much better as well. The FL 2.O must be made for more round guys because the bottom of the jacket does not fit anywhere near snug to your waist causing unnecessary cold to get in. Cinching the jacket tighter does help but why should you have to do that? The cinching doesn't hold well either so you're constantly cinching it snug to keep cold out. The 2.0 just has a weird fit overall and that's surprising because it was supposed to be improved upon from the first version. The 2.0 also is just not very warm at all I have to layer quite a bit to keep warm during late season hunts. On the contrary, the Grumman I am warm in during 30-40 degree weather with just a t shift on underneath. It also fits amazing and snug to the waist. I'm 6'4'' 210 athletic build and went with the XL which is perfect. The brown/green color also just looks cool and you can wear it around town. Like I've said I've owned almost ever puffy out there from the Kuiu ones, First Lite, Sitka Kelvin Down Hoody, etc. and the best overall has to be the Grumman when you factor in weight, warmth, and color scheme so you can use as an everyday jacket. If you are looking for the warmest puffy on the market without factoring in weight it's the First Lite Chamberlin. It's a heavy, bulky piece but it's the warmest puffy I've ever put on but that shouldn't be surprising considering it's fill and weight. If you're going to be glassing in sub freezing temps for any long period of time, the Chamberlin is amazing. I love comparing full setups with other people so here is mine and I've gone through a ton of different options and companies over the years and here is what I'm currently settled on:

Uppers:
-First Lite Fuse long sleeve
-First Lite Klamath quarter zip in cipher
-SG Grumman Puffy brown/coyote
-Grundens Weather Watch rain shell in refraction camo (for only $89 this is an extremely durable and light and breathable rain shell you can hike in through brush/timber and it will hold up)

Bottoms:
-First Lite Fuse long john
-First Lite Obsidian in cipher camo (most versatile pant I've owned)

This set up has gotten me through 99% of hunts. The pieces I'm looking to add when the budget allows is buying the First Lite Chamberlin again for extreme cold and the grumman down pants. But a good base layer, a good puffy, and a good rain shell is all you need for most adventures. Hope this helps someone out there!

NoWiser

WKR
If you already have the FL, why not step up to the next level and get something really warm? FF Helios or Montbell Alpine. There’s no reason to limit yourself to the hunting brands.

bigherm

FNG
If you already have the FL, why not step up to the next level and get something really warm? FF Helios or Montbell Alpine. There’s no reason to limit yourself to the hunting brands.
I’ve never tried those. The Alpine down parka looks intriguing at the $299 price point. My reasoning for staying in the hunting brands is because the ones geared toward backcountry hunters in particular have features non hunting brands usually don’t. I don’t just look at all hunting brands that’s grouping a lot of different companies with different goals into one. Stone Glacier for example makes some amazingly light gear with ultra breathability, etc just specs you can’t always rely on in the “skiing” or outdoor/hiking/climbing market. But I checked out those two you mentioned and the features/specs seem legit so I’ll give them consideration! Thank you. For a similar price point why not go with FL who supports lots of conservation and hunting groups? When you buy the “climbing/skiing” brands im just not sure I’m supporting companies with my values.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve never tried those. The Alpine down parka looks intriguing at the $299 price point. My reasoning for staying in the hunting brands is because the ones geared toward backcountry hunters in particular have features non hunting brands usually don’t. I don’t just look at all hunting brands that’s grouping a lot of different companies with different goals into one. Stone Glacier for example makes some amazingly light gear with ultra breathability, etc just specs you can’t always rely on in the “skiing” or outdoor/hiking/climbing market. But I checked out those two you mentioned and the features/specs seem legit so I’ll give them consideration! Thank you. For a similar price point why not go with FL who supports lots of conservation and hunting groups? When you buy the “climbing/skiing” brands im just not sure I’m supporting companies with my values.
I have the Grumman, uncompaghre, and Helios. Agree with everyone, grumman is awesome. I love the Helios as well but it is almost a half pound heavier and sometimes you don’t need to pack around that much warmth. Grumman is almost always in the pack and the FL isn’t in the same category of warmth or packability.

NoWiser

WKR
Simply put, I felt I was getting much more bang for my buck with the Alpine. 2 oz more down and box baffle construction as well as Montbell’s reputation for excellent down products. I wanted something that would keep me warm no matter what, and I wasn’t confident the SG could do that. I have been very satisfied with my decision. It’s the warmest jacket I’ve ever owned in my life.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
Simply put, I felt I was getting much more bang for my buck with the Alpine. 2 oz more down and box baffle construction as well as Montbell’s reputation for excellent down products. I wanted something that would keep me warm no matter what, and I wasn’t confident the SG could do that. I have been very satisfied with my decision. It’s the warmest jacket I’ve ever owned in my life.
Thanks for your input on the MB Alpine. I’m having a tough time deciding between that and the Grumman myself and since the Alpine is so new it’s tough to get feedback on it. Have you run into any issues with the untreated down wetting out with light snowfall or condensation? I always carry a rain jacket if it is looking to be wet but this is the only concern I’ve had about the Montbell compared to the Stone Glacier.
Also, what color did you get and how do you like it? I’m trying to decide if green or black would look more earth toned for western hunts.
My only experience with down products has been my Enlightened Equipment quilt and their down treatment works extremely well. The thing is incredibly difficult to hand wash because it repels water and just wants to float.

NoWiser

WKR
Thanks for your input on the MB Alpine. I’m having a tough time deciding between that and the Grumman myself and since the Alpine is so new it’s tough to get feedback on it. Have you run into any issues with the untreated down wetting out with light snowfall or condensation? I always carry a rain jacket if it is looking to be wet but this is the only concern I’ve had about the Montbell compared to the Stone Glacier.
Also, what color did you get and how do you like it? I’m trying to decide if green or black would look more earth toned for western hunts.
My only experience with down products has been my Enlightened Equipment quilt and their down treatment works extremely well. The thing is incredibly difficult to hand wash because it repels water and just wants to float.
I’ve had no issues with wetting out, but I haven’t used it in wet weather, either. If the forecast was for slushy snow or rain, I’d choose a different jacket. That said, I’ve used it in snowy weather when it’s been cold and it has been just fine.

I got the green color. I think it looks nice but definitely isn’t an earthy tone. Black would blend into the landscape better, in my opinion.

would you guys use the Grumman for your do all puffy? I have a Kuiu super down older version and its like 7 oz but not what I would call a late season jacket and the fit well typical Kuiu I am 5'10 185 and forearms are unreal tight in an xl and I'm not a bid guy at all. Was leaning toward keeping this or selling and using a real light packable puffy for backpack elk hunts then get a warmer little heavier jacket for late season but these threads may change my mind and get one for all. regardless the Kuiu may go for sale