First Lite Uncompahgre feedback?

I really like hunting the late seasons (3rd-4th and beyond) in Colorado and see temps below zero annually. I'd like something moisture and wind resistant with good insulation. Right now I'm using a Cabela's down coat with a light rain jacket over the top which is bulky heavy and loud. Is the Unc what I'm looking for?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
It's definitely not bulky. It's also definitely not heavy. It is a little loud for bowhunting but I think it'd be great for rifle hunting. It breathes really well so you dry out pretty quick wearing it. It's water resistant and wind proof from what I can tell. It's not as warm as some of the jackets I've owned or tried on. It's definitely warm enough for me to go down a little below freezing with just a chama and vest underneath. I have no idea what layers you would need to get sub zero out of it. I really like mine but I'm not sure I would be willing to pay msrp for it.

Edited to say that it's warmer than anything I've owned of the same weight. Also the cut is spot on for athletic body types.

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
For temps below freezing I think you are going to need several more layers with the Uncompagre puffy. I have no experience with it but have heard the Kifaru Lost Park Parka is warmer so it might be worth looking into as well.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
X2 on the kifaru parka. Was sceptical about not being a full zip but after trying it on its no big deal, fair trade to be able to run your waist belt through the hand pockets.

92xj

WKR
I'd highly recommend looking at the Woodbury. Crazy warm, weather resistant, stupid quiet, but kinda heavy. Though they say it's for treestand hunting, with minimal layers underneath you shouldn't overheat while stalking. I love mine.

OP
BruinPoint
Thanks for the feedback so far. I do like the look of the Woodbury and Kifaru parka but both are more than I want to spend and I'd rather buy something used. What else is out there that is warm, blocks wind, and repels snow/light rain for under $200? Don't need camo.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I do like the look of the Woodbury and Kifaru parka but both are more than I want to spend and I'd rather buy something used. What else is out there that is warm, blocks wind, and repels snow/light rain for under $200? Don't need camo.

I have the Woodbury and flippin love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idig4au

WKR
Kifaru parka is really warm and durable. Highly recommend and worth it's price.

I definitely don't find the First Lite U jacket warm and it has a funky fit. There are better products out there

Love my puffy. Its quite warm for the weight, tho if you are still hunting around freezing i would have the llano and chama or fleece under it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka kelvin ( not the lite version) $269 msrp but its been around longer than the Woodbury so better chance to find it used or on sale.

I love my unpronounceable. It is by far my most used coat and gets used almost every day in the winter that it's needed (those that know the weather on the CO front range know this is only like 30 days). Yes the Kifaru is warmer and if I were going for a single late season coat than I would probably want it over the FL, but with the Cordura lower and kangaroo pocket it looks a little weird to be wearing around town. I don't own the Woodbury, but I have the sanctuary which is a heavier version and I would warn that both are quite heavy and not very packable. As far as getting the most for your $$, I'd say go with the unpronounceable. The sizing is their older sizing, so order a size down.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

i have both first lite jackets, the unpronounceable is warm IMO, but i do not get cold easy, the new lightweight jacket is great too, if active hunting i like it much better, the U is way to warm, i think with proper layering the U is a great jacket, weather might be a issue but i would throw on a lightweight rain jacket over it and think i would be fine...

I've had my FL puffy for several years now and it's one of my favs. I got a Kifaru puffy and sold it two days later. It's stupid warm, but way too bulky for me and it's a pain in the ass to pack. It stuffs down like a bloated whale.

I use a layering system and my puffy is a part of that system so the FL puffy works for me.

I used my brothers Unc and was amazed at the warmth. Never used a puffy before and I was sold first day. It's not the lightest or most packable since its synthetic, but it was warm and durable. I didn't feel like I needed to baby it like I would if it was an ultralight down puffy with with a super thin shell.

I've hunted 3rd season Colorado and think the Unc would work great for that. I'm thinking of getting one for here in ND and it gets way colder then 0*.

Regards, Branden

Im a fan of my uncompahgre, it is a bit bulkier in the torso than needed. Good DWR, cuts the wind well, packs well, durable for a puffy. I hardly ever use it while walking as it gets too warm, mainly just during meal breaks, glassing, or breaking down harvested animals.

That said, I still ordered an arcteryx nuclei fl a couple days ago for non hunting activities but it might replace the FL when weight is more crucial. It's less than 11 ounces vs 19 for the FL (I think, not on fl website :confused:) I suspect it will breath better and have more athletic fit with tradeoffs in warmth and possibly durability. The fit on the arc puffys is perfect for me.

I've ran the Uncompaghre for a couple years now I think. It's one of my favorite pieces but there are some things I don't like. I just haven't tried any other alternatives to see if I find something I like better. For short sits when glassing or taking a break, it does a good job keeping me warm and blocking wind. If it gets close to freezing, I'll still freeze my ass off unless I'm moving. For elk this year I sat a stand on a wallow a couple times. I had two thin base layer tops, puffy, and rain shell and I was still cold when the wind was blowing and it was sleeting and probably upper 30's. But I tend to be cold anyway.

I use it as an extra layer when sitting a whitetail stand and I usually make sure it's a mid layer. It's very loud as an outer layer when it gets cold. Teens and single digits and it sounds like you're wearing a potato chip bag. LOL.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was cold in the Uncompahgre in 50 degree temps standing around watching my girl's soccer games. My regular weight fleece jackets were warmer for me.

Trial153

WKR
I had one. It's a was decent. The fit was a little big. Dollars to donuts I like my Kelvin down ultra lite better as a puffy better.

OP
BruinPoint
We're all over the map now. Sounds like it boils down to personal preference so I need to get my hands on one and see. I'll look into Sitka too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I used mine for a few hunts and definitely prefer my Sitka Kelvin light. I've got an XL uncompahgre in ASAT that I'll sell if anyone is interested. I'll post it up in the classifieds eventually I'm sure.