First lite uncompahgre puffy vs kifaru lost park parka

I am looking at these two for my synthetic puffy options. I like some features that are unique to each of them but I don’t have access to them to get hands on. Anyone have experience with both that is willing to relay personal likes and dislikes?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have them both, they are opposite ends of the puffy spectrum.

The Kifaru is very warm, pretty noisy and it is bullet proof for durability. I also don’t think you could layer much over it unless it was two sizes bigger than your normal.

The FS is like a medium weight type. I don’t think it will hold up well on everyday hunting use. It blocks the wind very well, is not that bulky although you couldn’t layer it very well either.

I use my FL for non hunting use and archery tournaments. I use the Kifaru for hunting use and it has held up like new for years now.

ofl0926

WKR
I have them both as well.
I will say that I love my FL puffy. super comfy, warm and light weight. does block wind as well
I picked up an LPP this year. This thing is bomb proof. extremely warm. heavier than the FL puffy. also more bulky. I do like the kangaroo pockets on it though.
both jackets are extremely different. I will be packing in an LPP this year for my hunt.

OP
M
Thank you! That info really helps a lot! I didn’t realize the contrast. Does the lpp block the wind pretty efficiently?

snowplow

WKR
I'm the odd guy for the lpp. I've had both, sold the lpp. And lm a kifaru fanboy but the lpp wasn't any warmer than my uncomp. It was bigger fit on me than the uncomp but not wrongly sized. Also the uncomp fits like a nice a coat. The lpp was very square and did not seem cut like other expensive jackets. And thought the hood was no where near as nice. For what it's worth l liked how tough it was but otherwise was way overhyped imo.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

tlkaetz

WKR
I've had both and sold both. I prefer the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody over the Uncompaghre. I prefer the Kelvin WS Hoody over the LPP for a super warm puffy

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both and sold both. I prefer the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody over the Uncompaghre. I prefer the Kelvin WS Hoody over the LPP for a super warm puffy
Curious why the Kelvin Lite over Uncompahgre? I've been debating between the two and was leaning Uncompahgre.

tlkaetz

WKR
I prefer the fit and hood on the Kelvin Lite. It layers better under a hard shell jacket when it's windy. Warmth wise they are about the same.

I prefer the fit and hood on the Kelvin Lite. It layers better under a hard shell jacket when it's windy. Warmth wise they are about the same.

Whats your size and body type for reference? Also size of pieces you went with.
I am 5'6 130 lbs, so finding a nice fitting piece of insulating outerwear can be tough.

tlkaetz

WKR
I am 5' 9" and 158lbs.... Athetic build. I wear a size large in the Kelvin Lite Hoody. I can wear over a base and mid layer. My rainshell fits nicely over it.

I prefer a form fitting hood on my jacket. I really like the hood on the Kelvin Lite Hoody.

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Late to the party but I picked up my LPP and love it so far. LOOKING at the material you'd think it was going to rip on the first alder, But not the case. As far as warmth goes and comfortability its amazing. I wish they made a 3X however as the 2X is still a tiny bit more snug than Id like but is acceptable.

I'm the odd guy for the lpp. I've had both, sold the lpp. And lm a kifaru fanboy but the lpp wasn't any warmer than my uncomp. It was bigger fit on me than the uncomp but not wrongly sized. Also the uncomp fits like a nice a coat. The lpp was very square and did not seem cut like other expensive jackets. And thought the hood was no where near as nice. For what it's worth l liked how tough it was but otherwise was way overhyped imo.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I have the same feelings as posted above. I also hate how it packs like a basketball full of sand. I have had the same FL jacket for a couple of years now hunting in several states with no issues.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this to the top.

Looking at picking up the lpp or fl 2.0
Need something to help extend the glassing sessions. About got blasted off the hillside this past week. Little cooler than expected. Plan to pack it in.

tlkaetz

WKR
Bumping this to the top.

Looking at picking up the lpp or fl 2.0
Need something to help extend the glassing sessions. About got blasted off the hillside this past week. Little cooler than expected. Plan to pack it in.
I only have experience with the original Uncompaghre and LPP. The Kifaru LPP is much warmer than the Uncompaghre.

mcseal2

WKR
I don't have experience with the Uncompaghre jackets, but do the pants. I am selling my FL puffy pants, they are not very windproof or warm compared to the Kifaru. The material is very light also and does not feel very durable. I am going to Kuiu Superdown Ultra pants under my hunting pants for conditions I'd trust the FL in.

The FL are not as warm as the Superdown Ultra but are close. They are not in the same class as Superdown Pro or Kifaru LPP puffy pants.

Hope this is helpful.

On puffy jackets I don't often use one that isn't pretty warm. I primarily rifle hunt. If I can get away with it on a scouting trip I'll take the Kuiu Kutana hybrid jacket with my Kuiu Peloton 240 and throw a windproof Sitka Mountain vest over the top. If it might get cold enough I want a dedicated puffy, I'll take a warm one.

I use the Kuiu Superdown Pro or the Kifaru LPP puffy coat. I rate them pretty similar on warmth and wind resistance. I generally take the LPP to Alaska where I have a higher chance of getting wet and can't walk to the truck if things go bad. I like the packability and lighter weight (about 18oz compared to 27oz) of the Superdown Pro. I have a softshell Kyptek Dalibor 2 or a Sitka Cloudburst rain jacket sized to go over either puffy if the hunt calls for it.

I currently have the LPP with the full zip because I thought it would be more convenient to take of and put on. I wish I'd kept my half zip version with the removable hood. It was warmer without the zipper minimizing insulation down the front and the removable hood could be nice depending on other layers.