First Lite Vapor Stormlite

I read the review here on this and it was mentioned that this jacket doesn't really stop the wind. Looking for experiences with this.

I am looking for a shell to wear for rain but to also cut the wind when glassing. Maybe this isn't the best option.

It is very wind resistant, but not as much as some shells. It's a compromise between that and breathability. Any shell that is totally windproof likely will breathe about as well as a rubber boot. Hiking in a rain shell that doesn't breathe is miserable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I totally agree with pathfinder, I bought one a few months back. I haven't had a chance to take it out in the woods yet. It is nice and light and IMO perfect for on/off, windy/thunderstorm type weather. If I was expecting a real wet and rainy hunt I'd probably go with at least the boundary stormtight. As far as just wind, I think it would do quite well. Provided you had more than a t-shirt on underneath. One other thing to keep in mind when considering this piece is size. I wear a medium in almost all first lite but this was definitely better sized up to a large for me (considering layers underneath).

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure what review you read, but I use it for wind protection all the time and it works really well. If you get a really cold wind, it will cut the wind but you might notice the cold getting through a bit more. It is my go-to jacket of choice on backcountry hunts through September and even into October.

NDGuy

WKR
One other thing to keep in mind when considering this piece is size. I wear a medium in almost all first lite but this was definitely better sized up to a large for me (considering layers underneath).

That may work for you but word of caution, First Lite makes their rain gear bigger due to exactly this reason. I called them last week asking about the rain gear and that's what I was told. If at all possible try the stuff on before buying it online!

Squirrels

WKR
As far as sizing with their raingear goes: I have the boundary in a medium and it has enough room for me and my dog. I'm usually a medium or large depending on cut. Mediums are never big on me but I might be able to get away with a small if the sleeves were long enough, I kind of got some monkey arms.

If you are busting brush consider something a little beefier. My original boundary has been used twice in brush and picked up rips both times. I realize there is a balance of weight vs durability and this jacket is more of a lightweight piece. So, For a stashable wind/rain jacket it is fine but for a lot of wear I might suggest something a bit more durable.

That may work for you but word of caution, First Lite makes their rain gear bigger due to exactly this reason. I called them last week asking about the rain gear and that's what I was told. If at all possible try the stuff on before buying it online!

You know, you are right about first lite sizing. Although, I believe this piece to be the exception. First lite convinced me of that when I was looking to buy one. Call them about this specific piece. Now on the other hand, a boundary jacket? I'd be swimming in a large for sure. I went large on the stormlite and medium on the boundary.

NDGuy

WKR
You know, you are right about first lite sizing. Although, I believe this piece to be the exception. First lite convinced me of that when I was looking to buy one. Call them about this specific piece. Now on the other hand, a boundary jacket? I'd be swimming in a large for sure. I went large on the stormlite and medium on the boundary.

Thanks for the information I will call them again before I buy one.

Their sizing kind of ticks me off, granted I am a short slightly out of shape guy but still idk how I am all over the place with their stuff.

5'6" 175 lbs 34/30

I wear:
Small Boxers
Small Chama Hoody & QZ
Medium Glenbrook/Allegheny
Medium Llano
Medium Corrugates
Large Kanabs
XL Cirrus Puffy