First Lite vs Kings Camo XKG

Medic727

FNG
I am looking to finally outfit myself with quality technical hunting clothing and I can't decide between First Lite and King Camo XKG line. I know there are probably better clothing companies out there but these are in my price range. What are your thoughts on these? Which one should I go with? I appreciate this website and all of your advice.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a few pieces of first lite for myself and my lady. We both really enjoy them. They make great baselayers, and the Klamath hoody has been my favorite hoody I have ever had. My girlfriend has the kiln and she wears it all the time. The best advice I’ve got about hunting clothing is don’t stick to one brand, find pieces from multiple that fill your needs because they all have pieces that will have features that will be better than others.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Kings Camo by a large margin. I have wore the Ridge pant and preacher pant for 3 years during both upland season and big game season. Over 100 days each year in those pants and they are still going strong. My buddy wore a hole in the crotch of his FL pants in a month... I have hunted early high country hunts to late season elk hunts and never had an issue. Best value performance in my mind.

Thanks ya'll. I was leaning towards first lite.

A lot of modern synthetics should not be overlooked. First Lite is a brand. Have had construction quality issues with three pairs of their trousers.

I am beginning to focus in on the Kings XKG series as well.

twall13

WKR
Between the two I'd mostly go with First Lite, but why limit yourself? I think you are better off researching individual pieces and buying what works best for your needs from whatever brand has the best piece to fit that need. I have stuff from First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, Orvis, Voormi, Swazi, Cabelas, etc. I think First Lite and Voormi have the best merino blend base layers, but other companies have better rain gear, for example.

Figure out a piece you want and look for it on a sale. And don't overlook used clothes. You can find some great deals in the Rokslide classifieds if you know what you want and are patient.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I’m kinda a semi first lite fan boy. I love it. Of course I have some Sitka a kuiu and Under armor. Just watch the classifieds. You can find some great deals

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not much experience with firstlite. Recently picked up the King’s Preacher pants from a member on here. Very well thought out, hip vents and knee pads, no zippers on the pockets which makes more sense to me for hunting. Construction looks on par with the more popular names.

I have Kryptek, Sitka, First Lite, Kui and some Kings clothing. Had a lot more Kings in the past. From a performance vs cost perspective, I don't think you can go wrong with Kings. Order some try it on, inspect it and decide for yourself, if you don't like it you can return it.

Reactions: THA

LostArra

WKR
I gave up on First Lite early on due to bizarre sizing issues while having an average-Joe body, 5'10" and 180. I never thought the quality of construction of First Lite was on par with Sitka or Kuiu so I never tried it again.

I was not familiar with Kings Camo since they don't spend the advertising bucks but my Wyoming friends (older guys, elk hunters and guides) swear by it even after being gifted First Lite, Sitka and Kuiu items. They do wear some Sitka hoodies and Kuiu pants along with assorted Kings gear. Never First Lite.
Could be a Boomer thing.

I have a little bit of everything with hunting clothing. I wouldn’t hesitate to use Kings XKG line, The pieces I have from the XKG line up I really like. I found first light to be the least durable of the hunting clothing brands.