First lite vs Sitka gear

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
WhoA! I don’t know what knee pad would protect you from that, what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AZ has a lot of rocks, some are pretty sharp . I wasn’t there but his admission was that knee pads would have helped. A chipped kneecap was the worst of the damage, he was up and walking in a few days.

I found First Lite merino to be the most comfortable, but not very durable. I haven't tried the Sitka merino. After studying up on it, I decided to get away from 100% merino and go with merino/nylon blends. This was before the Aerowool stuff came out from FL, so I had no choice but Kuiu.

The Kuiu stuff has held up really well and seems to dry out much faster than 100% merino. However, it is a little itchy.

thegoat56

FNG
Anyone use Sitka Gear for Midwest tree stand hunting? I'm leaning towards it with customer service being a major factor in decision making

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone use Sitka Gear for Midwest tree stand hunting? I'm leaning towards it with customer service being a major factor in decision making
Yes. Their Elevated pattern works well, and their whitetail system is legit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
For no stink and comfortable moving around in cold weather go First Lite (base layers too), for durability I go Sitka.
Basically I run FL base layers under Sitka for the most part.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily use Sitka and I bow hunt a lot from tree stands. For Midwest I’d try the Elevated pattern

thegoat56

FNG
I primarily use Sitka and I bow hunt a lot from tree stands. For Midwest I’d try the Elevated pattern

How’s the fit in Sitka Gear. I’m a fireplug kinda guy. Does it run true to size?

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the fit in Sitka Gear. I’m a fireplug kinda guy. Does it run true to size?

Yes sir, true to size. Some say it’s athletic fit, I would say it’s true to size, but if someone has a large spare tire or abnormally large biceps I’d say go up one size. Being funny of course.
Honestly though, if you’re big into layering you might play it safe and go up one size or up from a 32-34 etc. as to not feel cramped

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
We're lucky because all of the top brands bring quality pieces to the table. No one needs to be Team (insert brand) though we see it all the time. My everyday field setup uses FL, Kuiu and Sitka. The Kuiu zip off long johns are a game changer, so I rock the Pelotons and zip them off when I get warm on the pre-dawn hike to the glassing point. FL's Obsidians are the most comfortable (not durable) field pants around so I've got those. I sweat a lot so I can't use much merino, so I run the Sitka core lightweight hoody for my base layer top. Etc Etc. Grab whatever pieces work for you, quality wise they're all good.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
We're lucky because all of the top brands bring quality pieces to the table. No one needs to be Team (insert brand) though we see it all the time. My everyday field setup uses FL, Kuiu and Sitka. The Kuiu zip off long johns are a game changer, so I rock the Pelotons and zip them off when I get warm on the pre-dawn hike to the glassing point. FL's Obsidians are the most comfortable (not durable) field pants around so I've got those. I sweat a lot so I can't use much merino, so I run the Sitka core lightweight hoody for my base layer top. Etc Etc. Grab whatever pieces work for you, quality wise they're all good.
Agreed, I have two KUIU zip offs too. Sad no one else thought of this fantastic idea.

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider

I ended up mixing what’s going in my pack this year. Sitka gear tends to run a little on the small size. I’m 6’4” 200#, 18” arms, and pretty broad shoulders. I normally wear an XL and almost need a XXL. Especially when it comes to outer layers. First lite, on the other hand, runs a little on the big side in their merino items. I got a Chama, Labrador, and a few lightweight pieces and they’re all larges

ChrisAU

WKR
As I develop my system to fit my needs I increasingly splinter out brands, but I would say I like First Lite the best for most things. Kuiu for Gaiters and lower base layers for sure. My rain gear is Sitka and Kuiu. Puffy layer is Stone Glacier and Kuiu. FL and Injinji for socks, FL for gloves, pants, headwear, and upper base and mid layers.

Catahoula

WKR
First Lite for my early season archery hunts both bases and outer layers. Moves very well and a much more relaxed fit. I do not like Sitka’s fit profiles, just not for my build. But, Sitka does have a nice lineup for other individuals.

I think both are good.

Sitka gear is a bit more refined in design and execution IMO. Their gear is much more specialized by discipline, which is good and bad depending on how versatile you want your gear to be. For instance, a Fanatic jacket isn’t going to be a great choice for a mountain hunt but is arguably one of the better whitetail pieces on the market. Their engineering and execution is super impressive. Things like pocket placement and design details are just a level above most other brands. I have a bunch of their stuff and seem to buy more all the time. My only CS experience related to some gaiters that were just too small to work. Their communication was excellent and they really took care of me. I have gone way overboard on the subalpine stuff and stat picking up some whitetail pieces. Their gear is pricey but it just flat works.

Most of my FL gear is 3 or so years old and what I would call first generation. I have a north branch soft shell which they have replaced with the catalyst and a few other pieces that I still use. They have updated or revised a lot of the other gear too. I found it functional but more basic than Sitka. Some of the fits were wonky for me. Bibs fit weird. Kanbab fit was a bit odd. I had some isolated issues with durability but overall the stuff held up and performs well. My favorites are a Woodbury jacket and a merino hoody. I had moved away from them in favor of Sitka lately but it seems like they are making some newer interesting stuff. I gave their wick base layers a go but didn’t like the fit or feel.

+1 for those kuiu zip off bottoms. I own 2 pair. I also think their attack and tiburon pants are worth looking into.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend on a local forum who informed me veterans get 30% off FirstLite and 40% off Vortex. So I submitted my DD214 and now get the discounts.
With that said I am a KUIU man. I am already a part of their vet program and am a platinum inner circle member. When I found out about the FL discount I thought sweet, I can save some money. So I googled firstlite vs kuiu vs sitka and came upon this thread. I created an account here for the sole purpose of this reply.
I am in no way sponsored by KUIU nor do I have any other garments to compare. This is also my first year hunting. Now that is out of the way, I'll schpeel upon my thoughts.
KUIU is the best I could afford and when I found out JASON Hairston started SITKA I thought KUIU couldnt be much different. I now own all layers besides rain gear and insulation type pieces. I seriously love their ULTRA light pieces and how warm they are vs weight. I am 6'4 215#s, broad shoulders and athletic build. I find layering with XL works for me. If you ask my wife she thinks my tops are too short. I think they are perfect. I have Attack pants and the Guide jacket and both work flawlessly for me. The hood is very well fitted and works very well with their merino beanie and ultra light 1/2 zip merino hoodie hood. I also have their bomber hat for the upcoming winter. I know when I have it on I start sweating very quick. Like everything else, it fits perfectly.
I went bowhunting (I live in the west) and as I made my way to my first glassing position waiting for day light, i had on a peloton base, ultra light 1/2 zip merino hoodie, merino beanie, zip off bottoms, knee high merino socks, guide jacket and attack pants. As it began to snow I wasnt at all cold besides my hands. I put on the axis gloves and they immediately cut the wind off my skin. I'm not going to say my hands were toasty and to be honest neither were my toes but I wasnt stuffed and definitely wasnt bogged down so much it threw off my draw on the bow.
I'm nervous to venture into other brands. But now with this thread and a big discount I'll try out some FirstLite. But I gotta tell you, for the price of KUIU vs Sitka and Firstlite, it's going to be tough to beat.
I also have had some experience with KUIU customer service. The sitching on the Axis gloves popped on first try pulling them on. I took a photo, emailed them, and they immediately (same hour) emailed me a postage paid return slip.
One thing I definitely dont like about KUIU is this. If you buy something, ANYTHING, be SURE you want ExaCTLy what you order before submitting the order. I have ordered and saw what I ordered was wrong, called them right away to have the size changed and they couldnt do it. Seriously? Once the order is placed it MUST be shipped then returned for REFUND then reordered. I guess the orders go to their warehouse which is separate from customer service or something? What a hassle.

Lastly, I put in some 100$s of dollars order right before a sale. I was on instagram and noticed they began the sale right after my order. I mentioned it on instagram to a random person on the KUIU sale posting. KUIU figured out who I was, found my phone number to call me and refunded the difference of the sale on my order! That my friends is customer service and a huge part of why I want to stick to KUIU. I havent even heard of such a thing with ANY company.
Again, I am in no way affiliated with KUIU besides my inner circle membership. I just wanted to share my experience with them.

Sitka however is calling my name. Firstlite ONLY with the discount is looking decent. It's just hard to float that much cash past KUIU when I have been taken care of so well.

I’ve used First Lite as my sole brand of outdoor clothing over the past few years hunting in SW Colorado. I haven’t had too many issues with their stuff, sizing is pretty much spot on for me. Their glove liners and boxers were the only pieces I’ve worn out. My chama hoody has holes all over it, but I’m gonna wear it until it falls apart. I get a veteran discount and use it quite a bit for gear. I don’t have any camo, I don’t see the point. I like the solids, but wish they had more options. I have had nothing but positive results with the customer service as well.

The bottom line is that FL is cheaper for me than Kuiu or Sitka, even with my discounts through both.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
The great thing about Sitka is that it is available in stores, so I can try them on. Nothing fits me! So I didn't waste any money on clothes that don't fit. My body type is Neanderthal. Sitka LG too tight in the shoulders & chest, XL too long in the sleeves & torso. Pants fit me like skinny jeans. FL stuff fits me better. Some Kuiu stuff fits me. I hear good things about Sitka from my tall skinny friends.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
If you are thinking about Sitka, it is Sitka saturday on camo fire . com today.

I had another KUIU gripe. The shipping. Ticks. Me off. As your order grows, so does the shipping cost. As I mentioned I am a platinum member but up until 1000$ shipping gets paid. After that I still pay shipping up to 100$.

Anyway, check out Sitka Saturday and good luck this weekend.

tonedover

FNG
i got frustrated with several first lite products in 2018 after spending over $1500 with them the couple years before that. (sawtooth smelled like mildew out of the box wouldnt wash out, cirrus puffy was way way undersized compared to their other puffy offerings, seak pants inseam fit was def not the same as any of their other pants, two different hats received were not sewn together correctly, bib fit was terrible as im an xl in their pants but a 3x in their bib)

i had enough and returned what i could and am selling the rest. their rain coats are good, i have a long sleeve merino im keeping, and im keeping the corrugate pants. everything else got replaced by sitka and i am much happier with sitkas durability

also, its not hard to get 20-25% off sitka msrp if you know where to look

Last edited: