First Lite Wick shirts

Superdoo

WKR
So I've been contemplating getting a couple of these. I'd like to replace my synthetic long sleeve fishing shirts (the UPF rated ones) with these.
If I don't wear a cotton T-shirt under the synthetics my body produces a most excellent amount of funk in a matter of minutes even without sweat!
Wearing a T-shirt under them also negates the cooling benefit on hot days.

Have any of you used the wick stuff in the heat of summer and been pleased with it's ability to keep you cool and smelling decent?
Is it about the same experience as the synthetic long sleeves?

Rodéo

WKR
I'm not sure if FL still makes it but I really like their aerowool for the applications your talking about. Breeze goes right through, way more durable than the wick in my experience, and minimize the funk factor. Wick is good but I like aerowool a lot better and I'm pretty sure it was cheaper as well

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
1600877002584.png

Looks like the Wick is what they are calling aerowool now...

From the website description:
From the archery opener in Carolina to desert aoudad in Texas, the Men's Wick Crew is First Lite's next-to-skin base layer for high output hunts in hot weather. This long sleeve crew neck's airy 150 gram Aerowool construction features 37.5 active particle technology and will dry rapidly without compromising durability or odor resistance. This layer also features 125 gram Aerowool mesh panels to maximize ventilation during active hunts. The Men's Wick Crew is the new standard for quick drying, odor-resistant, ultralight baselayers and is always warn as your first, next-to-skin layer.

Ultralight 150 Aerowool construction combines the finest, 17.5 micron merino wool available with 37.5-activated nylon fibers to create a super-charged fabric with incredible performance benefits. Our Wick styles also integrate 125 gram Aerowool mesh to targeted hot-zones. that also utilizes 17.5 micron merino and 37.5-activated nylon fibers. What you get is enhanced odor resistance, exponentially improved dry times, increased durability and moisture wicking, and a fabric that can cool you down when you're heating up and warm you up when it's cooling down.

@rodkazempour do you have a wick and an aerowool? If so are they different?

Rodéo

WKR
View attachment 218008

Looks like the Wick is what they are calling aerowool now...

From the website description:
From the archery opener in Carolina to desert aoudad in Texas, the Men's Wick Crew is First Lite's next-to-skin base layer for high output hunts in hot weather. This long sleeve crew neck's airy 150 gram Aerowool construction features 37.5 active particle technology and will dry rapidly without compromising durability or odor resistance. This layer also features 125 gram Aerowool mesh panels to maximize ventilation during active hunts. The Men's Wick Crew is the new standard for quick drying, odor-resistant, ultralight baselayers and is always warn as your first, next-to-skin layer.

Ultralight 150 Aerowool construction combines the finest, 17.5 micron merino wool available with 37.5-activated nylon fibers to create a super-charged fabric with incredible performance benefits. Our Wick styles also integrate 125 gram Aerowool mesh to targeted hot-zones. that also utilizes 17.5 micron merino and 37.5-activated nylon fibers. What you get is enhanced odor resistance, exponentially improved dry times, increased durability and moisture wicking, and a fabric that can cool you down when you're heating up and warm you up when it's cooling down.

@rodkazempour do you have a wick and an aerowool? If so are they different?
Interesting... I do have both. A long sleeve and short sleeve aerowool from 2-3 years ago and a wick hoody from last year. It feels like the older stuff is more durable/breathable but that doesn't really add up according to FL's description... Maybe they changed the manufacturing process in that time?

The wick is still a really good piece and I use it for late summer/early fall activities (fishing included). Just doesn't feel like it's holding up as well as my older aerowool pieces.

Rodéo

WKR
Just looked at some of my stuff...

The older aerowool I have is 65% merino/35% poly.

New wick is 65% merino/33% nylon/ 2% spandex.

Just looked at some of my stuff...

The older aerowool I have is 65% merino/35% poly.

New wick is 65% merino/33% nylon/ 2% spandex.

In theory, nylon blends should be more durable.

I have the older poly blend and have been really happy with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norm555

WKR
I have a couple wick shirts and I've been pretty happy with them in the summer heat. I don't think they'll keep you quite as cool as some of the synthetic options on the market but definitely will keep the funk off.

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
I have a couple wick shirts and I've been pretty happy with them in the summer heat. I don't think they'll keep you quite as cool as some of the synthetic options on the market but definitely will keep the funk off.
That's the real question! I guess I'll have to try one and see.

Tartan

WKR
I have the same issues. Anytime i wear a poly shirt, I start to reek. Doesn't matter if I'm active or just sitting on the couch.

I have two wick shirts and they don't cause that problem. Plenty cool for being outdoors in the summers in Texas, and I still wear them as my baselayer under a grid fleece when the temps start to drop.

Bearsears

WKR
I ran around early archery season last year in a newer wick 150 t shirt for two weeks. Rinsed in water twice I think. No funk at all and kept me really comfortable in the heat. Id recommend it for sure.

I bought a Sitka core lightweight t recently that Ive been doing training hikes in. I haven't been washing it to see if polygene really works. So far it hasn't been bad but there is still a bit of smell compared to my wick t. The benefit of the core lightweight is its a crazy thin synthetic that dries really fast and is pretty cool.

For me so far though they both seem to keep me comfortable with the sitka one drying faster but a bit more stink.

I just got back from my week long high country deer hunt. I wore the same wick t-shirt the entire time. I went to throw it in the wash when I got home yesterday and it did not smell at all. I have 3 wick t-shirts and wore them all summer. Another thing I really enjoy is that after wearing them for awhile they dont stretch out and start to sort of hang off of your body like some other tshirts will do after extended wear.

Lowg08

WKR
Can these double as a base under a synthetic layer later in the season. Not trying to hijack

Lowg08

WKR
I had bought the fuse and did not like it under a synthetic. Thank you. I’ll be grabbing some.

H80Hunter

WKR
My experience is that the wick aerowool doesn't "feel" as cool as something like a sitka core lightweight, but it does pull moisture very well and dries without any smell.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I figured I would bump this thread versus starting a new one.

I want to order some Wick Hoodies for early bow season but I am in a predicament. I ordered some of the Wick T's last year and they just stink to high heaven when I sweat. Granted they are comfortable in the heat, how long does it take for this wet sheep smell to cease? I do not want to sweat my ass off getting to my stand and smell like a goat when I get there, especially here in Blue Ridge where it's much more humid than our Western counterpart and you find yourself much closer to your target game.

Hondo

WKR
I have several Wick shirts including hoodies and they do a greater job of temperature regulation than any other merino shirt I have tried. That being said when it is 90+ and humid during Texas Archery season (or Dove) my go to is a Sitka Gear Core LW Hoody. The Sitka feels cooler, dries faster, has chest zipper for additional venting plus a built in mesh face mask. The Polygiene does a great job of odor control in my experience. I'll wear the FL hoodies when it is not as hot as a stand alone or as a base layer.

j33

WKR
I would bet good money wick hoody has a zipper this year...
After owning a Sitka Lightweight hoody I would never own a baselayer hoody without a zipper, love it for dumping heat.

LionHead

WKR
I have the wick boxers and my go to for hunting chonies, and sometime wear them to work they're very comfortable. I thought the T-shirts would be similar but they are much thicker.

I haven't worn the t shirt hunting yet but bought them in black to wear under my armor as UA and other synthetics smell like ass after a 12 hr shift. They were much too hot and itchy to wear in the summer months.

Again this is under body armor, not they're intended purpose. But I would have preferred the t-shirt to be woven just like the boxers

Just my 0.02

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk