First lite?

Slim Jim

WKR
This was my first year trying out first lite Kanab pants and shirt. I do love the boxers and how when the clothing gets wet you still stay warm. The only thing that I don't care for is how when they get wet you smell like a wet dog. All the reviews say that they keep scent way down compared to other fabrics but I beg to differ. Maybe they mean human scent

JG358

WKR
I'm not a big fan of the wet wool smell either but my first lite is far less stank after 3-4 days than any of the Sitka gear and under armor Ive used in the past.

McFly83

FNG
I started using merino for the first time this year. I am using stoic and core4element and I have found the same smell when I sweat or get wet. I think I'll go back to synthetics. I started using merino because all the reviews stated that it is better for scent suppression. I also used a synthetic that has silver technology and those stayed "funk free".

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That smell is pretty much gone after the first washing or two. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would go back to synthetics.

JG358

WKR
That smell is pretty much gone after the first washing or two. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would go back to synthetics.

Mine still get a little of the wet dog kinda smell but I'm with you on not ever going back to synthetics. Maybe I need to try a different detergent.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I plan on using them for a while because of temp control and comfort, Im just not to sure about all the hype on scent control.

Ryan, what are the wraps that you use on your lower legs? I use ace knee supports that slide on but I don't think they work to well. They are always sliding up and I have to adjust often.

swat8888

WKR
Not sure what kinda stank you had with the core4 or stoic stuff. I've used the core4, first lite, and smartwool merino stuff and they smell 85% better than my synthetics (sitka, under armor, etc.) after a few days...hell even after one day there is a huge difference and I sweat like no other. The only synthetics I've found that don't smell absolutely revolting after a few days are the exofficio underwear and patagonia's capilene...I think its capilene 2 that I usually wear.

The only advantage I give to synthetics over merino is durability. Worn my first lite about 14 days in the field thus far and already have two holes in it.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I've got 10 days and already two tears in pants (one from barbed wire which will tear anything) and one in shirt. They need to come out with some iron on wool patches

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
When you guys are talking about smell does that go for pants also? I have first lite boxers but have sitka pants. Wondering about the pants.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I would go with the Kanab pants for early season and the sitkas with the wool layered under for colder weather. JMO

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a hard time with the wool pants. They rip to easy for me. I would vote to stay with the synthetic pants, Kuiu or Sitka.

That smell goes away after you wear and wash it a few times.. I didn't like it either, but it is non-existent now.

GUYS...WOOL is a NATURAL FIBER of course it will smell a little after it gets wet. I know growing up on a farm I have been privileged to some interesting things!!! But have you EVER been around a flock of sheep in the rain...THEY ALL SMELL like WET DOG!!! And when they dry GONE!!!! Eventually the volume of odor will dissipate over time with use.

If you truly want to go back to synthetics please by all means!!! More animals for the rest of us because your synthetics hold in human odor and bacteria better than anything on the planet!!!

I must have gotten a lucky pair of Kanabs this year. Caught them on barb wire and nothing!!! I was pissed when I heard the twang and rip and when I looked down and had a little rough spot I couldn't have been more pleased ... but that was my experience.

chas

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Columbia wool/blend pants that I have beat up pretty good and love the performance. Same with a Cabelas Wooltimate coat. Warm, lite weight, not smell issues that I have noticed. My base layers are Smartwool and First Lite. They do not retain the smell anywear near as bad as my underarmor base layers. I would not use syntetics for extended trips without a washer.

Just got my Kanab pants and Chama hoodie in the mail... I have the last two pairs of pants they put out and they were horrible fitting on me... These new ones are the cat's meow and I can't wait to put them through the paces. The hoodie looks like it will be a great addition to my arsenal as well.

The smell goes away! Just wear it alot before the season to break it in.. after about a week of solid wear with my Llano and Chama tops, the smell was gone...