First Long Range Endeavor

So I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am currently working on my first long range precision/ hunting build. Actually the way I discovered Rokslide is from researching long range kits and everything that’s involved in them. I wish I had the funds to go full custom with top of the line glass but like usual I am trying to stretch a dime to a dollar so please criticize me too harshly on my choices. Anyways so far I went with a howa 1500 barreled action in 300 win mag and the oryx chassis by mdt and a 20 moa Outerimpact rail. The place I really need the feedback is is the glass and the bipod. I have been looking at the tract 3-15 uhd, the bushnell 6-24 match pro, the athlon midas tac or maybe a used zeiss or leuopold. The one thing I know is extremely important and I really don’t know a whole lot about is the different reticles. I have basic understanding but not enough to know them by name. Also it looks like a Harris is gonna be my best bipod option I can afford. So any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Getting it done on a budget can be done. Your choices are limited, but it works. Howa are good rifles. I really like the triggers for factory. I have a couple and won't worry about upgrading that. The Oryx is a good choice.

Look at the SWFA 3-9 and 3-35 scopes. SWFA are typically bombproof quality and they have a full warranty like Vortex. I sent a used scope I bought back and they sent me a new one. I would buy one with the moa or mil quad. Call Doug at Cameraland, he can give you better prices on the phone than he can publish online.

I've heard the Bushnell Match Pro is a good value. They are selling it direct to cut out middle man costs.

I recommend that you buy used scopes. You can get pictures and deal with confidence if you research the buyer. I've bought and sold over 10k in scopes in the last couple years. You get a lot more for your money. The scopes you mentioned seem like as good as you can get for that budget. You just have to be more careful verifying and watching for failures than with more expensive scopes.

When it comes to reticle, the simple reticle with hash marks for elevation and windage will get you by just fine. If you want to get a more complex reticle later, go for it. You don't need one, but if the scope has it, that is fine.

You can choose between MOA or MIL. Make that choice based upon who you will be hunting or shooting with. If they use MOA, then you buy MOA. You can also choose between first focal plane or second focal plane. For hunting second focal plane is the most commmon. But, I run first focal plane. Ryan Cleckner has videos that explain differences on them.

Ultimately, you have to get started without knowing what you like. So, try to buy used off the classifieds and be prepared to sell it and try something new. But, just know that if you buy an SWFA, it will dial and return to zero.

rclouse79

WKR
I wanted a swfa, but I didn't think I would get it from backorder before hunting season so I went with a Midas tac. I am sure swfa is as good or better, but I am tickled pink with my Athlon so far. Dialing has been spot on and repeatable after getting the right inputs for the ballistics program.

rclouse79

WKR
I ended watching some reviews by a youtube guy that goes by cyclops. He seemed to be knowledgeable and highly recommended the midas tac. Even if he is full of crap he is good for a laugh.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I ended watching some reviews by a youtube guy that goes by cyclops. He seemed to be knowledgeable and highly recommended the midas tac. Even if he is full of crap he is good for a laugh.
He is mostly full of crap but he's funny!

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
So I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am currently working on my first long range precision/ hunting build. Actually the way I discovered Rokslide is from researching long range kits and everything that’s involved in them. I wish I had the funds to go full custom with top of the line glass but like usual I am trying to stretch a dime to a dollar so please criticize me too harshly on my choices. Anyways so far I went with a howa 1500 barreled action in 300 win mag and the oryx chassis by mdt and a 20 moa Outerimpact rail. The place I really need the feedback is is the glass and the bipod. I have been looking at the tract 3-15 uhd, the bushnell 6-24 match pro, the athlon midas tac or maybe a used zeiss or leuopold. The one thing I know is extremely important and I really don’t know a whole lot about is the different reticles. I have basic understanding but not enough to know them by name. Also it looks like a Harris is gonna be my best bipod option I can afford. So any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
What's your budget for the scope?

OP
R
I wanted a swfa, but I didn't think I would get it from backorder before hunting season so I went with a Midas tac. I am sure swfa is as good or better, but I am tickled pink with my Athlon so far. Dialing has been spot on and repeatable after getting the right inputs for the ballistics program.
I have heard nothing but great things about the Midas tac actually there is a long range school in my area that is well regarded and that is what they recommend I am leaning towards the tract I would love to find one used

OP
R
Getting it done on a budget can be done. Your choices are limited, but it works. Howa are good rifles. I really like the triggers for factory. I have a couple and won't worry about upgrading that. The Oryx is a good choice.

Look at the SWFA 3-9 and 3-35 scopes. SWFA are typically bombproof quality and they have a full warranty like Vortex. I sent a used scope I bought back and they sent me a new one. I would buy one with the moa or mil quad. Call Doug at Cameraland, he can give you better prices on the phone than he can publish online.

I've heard the Bushnell Match Pro is a good value. They are selling it direct to cut out middle man costs.

I recommend that you buy used scopes. You can get pictures and deal with confidence if you research the buyer. I've bought and sold over 10k in scopes in the last couple years. You get a lot more for your money. The scopes you mentioned seem like as good as you can get for that budget. You just have to be more careful verifying and watching for failures than with more expensive scopes.

When it comes to reticle, the simple reticle with hash marks for elevation and windage will get you by just fine. If you want to get a more complex reticle later, go for it. You don't need one, but if the scope has it, that is fine.

You can choose between MOA or MIL. Make that choice based upon who you will be hunting or shooting with. If they use MOA, then you buy MOA. You can also choose between first focal plane or second focal plane. For hunting second focal plane is the most commmon. But, I run first focal plane. Ryan Cleckner has videos that explain differences on them.

Ultimately, you have to get started without knowing what you like. So, try to buy used off the classifieds and be prepared to sell it and try something new. But, just know that if you buy an SWFA, it will dial and return to zero.
Thank you for the info I honestly have not looked into the SWFA’s that much but they certainly have some staunch supporters on some of the forums I frequent I will have to give em a look

Lawnboi

WKR
I have heard nothing but great things about the Midas tac actually there is a long range school in my area that is well regarded and that is what they recommend I am leaning towards the tract I would love to find one used
Took me 3 Midas tac scopes to get one that worked. Athlon did come through on it though. Still have the one that works. While I havnt played with them all, in that 1k range my favorite is the nightforce f1 shv, a little above budget. Had a few swfa and they work, they just lack features and drove me nuts shooting in the snow.

Are you mil, Leo or a first responder? Some good optic discounts out there if you are.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Took me 3 Midas tac scopes to get one that worked. Athlon did come through on it though. Still have the one that works. While I havnt played with them all, in that 1k range my favorite is the nightforce f1 shv, a little above budget. Had a few swfa and they work, they just lack features and drove me nuts shooting in the snow.

Are you mil, Leo or a first responder? Some good optic discounts out there if you are.
If you have $1000, absolutely 100% buy a used SHV or call Doug for a big discount and spend $1,100 if you can't get one from NF. There is no better scope available at that price point. The quality level of the SHV and reliability as a NF is amazing. If NF would have had a FFP in the 5-20 I may never have used anything else. I loved my 4-14 but I wanted more magnification. I would go back to it for a different rifle build. In fact, the Horus scope is just a NF rebranded SHV, and it is on my short list, I just never get below my first choice very often, lol.

It is all about reliability in those lower price points. You can live with the lesser quality of glass, but when it won't dial or loses zero, that don't fly. That is why NF is a no brainer, cause they have good glass too.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you for the info I honestly have not looked into the SWFA’s that much but they certainly have some staunch supporters on some of the forums I frequent I will have to give em a look
Lawnboi explained why I will not recommend other lesser brands.. I won't tell people NOT to buy them, but it's hard to say, spend your money on that, but be prepared to ship a few back or have it fail randomly. Its just reality of the situation.

Its not that they don't work. But, when it comes to shooters who actually run them through the necessary tests, the juice is not worth the squeeze. The SWFA have their drawbacks, but they are the most reliable. That is what counts at the end of the day shooting long range. Zero stop features mean nothing if they don't track. And, figuring out where zero is doesn't take a PhD.

And, I immediately want to know more about why a long range school is recommending the Midas Tac... That raises my spidey senses. There has to be a massive disclaimer if they are recommending them. I've literally never heard anyone who I would trust and has any significant experience recommend the Midas Tac. It pains most experienced guys to recommend anything below an SHV in my experience, unless it is the SWFA. No one wants to be tagged with recommending something they can get pinched with later.

OP
R
If you have $1000, absolutely 100% buy a used SHV or call Doug for a big discount and spend $1,100 if you can't get one from NF. There is no better scope available at that price point. The quality level of the SHV and reliability as a NF is amazing. If NF would have had a FFP in the 5-20 I may never have used anything else. I loved my 4-14 but I wanted more magnification. I would go back to it for a different rifle build. In fact, the Horus scope is just a NF rebranded SHV, and it is on my short list, I just never get below my first choice very often, lol.

It is all about reliability in those lower price points. You can live with the lesser quality of glass, but when it won't dial or loses zero, that don't fly. That is why NF is a no brainer, cause they have good glass too.
Well that seems like a great option I didn’t think I could get into nightforce with my budget 14x is a little lower mag than I wanted but i will take better quality glass over mag any day thank you I’m glad I posted here the feedback has been great

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well that seems like a great option I didn’t think I could get into nightforce with my budget 14x is a little lower mag than I wanted but i will take better quality glass over mag any day thank you I’m glad I posted here the feedback has been great
I would tell you to start with a 5-20 with exposed turrets. It is second focal plane, but for a new guy getting started and for hunting, I think it is a great option. I put one on a buddies long range rifle.

Truthfully, 14x is plenty for long range and hunting. I shoot most of my PRS style matches between 12 and 15 for any targets inside 600 yards. And, my first rifle had a fixed 12x SWFA that I shot MOA at 1000 yards during my first long range course I attended. And, it was the factory ammo with inconsistent velocity that increased the vertical string to moa. The rifle I hunt with is 18x on the top end.

Get illumination if you go FFP with the F1 scope. At low light and low power magnification, the reticle is harder to see.

If you must have first focal plane and more magnification, the Horus is an option, but then you get a lot more options opening up as well.

Seriously, call Doug if you cant get a discount from NF. Buddies have gotten great deals by calling.

OP
R
Lawnboi explained why I will not recommend other lesser brands.. I won't tell people NOT to buy them, but it's hard to say, spend your money on that, but be prepared to ship a few back or have it fail randomly. Its just reality of the situation.

Its not that they don't work. But, when it comes to shooters who actually run them through the necessary tests, the juice is not worth the squeeze. The SWFA have their drawbacks, but they are the most reliable. That is what counts at the end of the day shooting long range. Zero stop features mean nothing if they don't track. And, figuring out where zero is doesn't take a PhD.

And, I immediately want to know more about why a long range school is recommending the Midas Tac... That raises my spidey senses. There has to be a massive disclaimer if they are recommending them. I've literally never heard anyone who I would trust and has any significant experience recommend the Midas Tac. It pains most experienced guys to recommend anything below an SHV in my experience, unless it is the SWFA. No one wants to be tagged with recommending something they can get pinched with later.
I live in Maryland I believe the school is called steelbangers they recommended the company Athlon not the Midas tac in particular I should have been clearer but yeah I was reading their class itinerary and in the gear section they promote Athlon optics I would have to read it again I’m not sure if it was model specific

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Around 1000 I really would like to stay under at like 6-800
The only scope you can TOTALLY trust to dial in that price range is the SWFA. Get one, get some ammo(good luck) and get shooting. I would also try and find someone in your area to help you with shooting fundamentals. It Doesn't matter how good your setup is if you suck at the basics.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
These are probably the best scopes on the market right now at that $800 price point:

Never had any experience, but you might be right as Bushnell looks to be clearing out inventory. This is a good way to get into quality scopes as new generations are released.