First Long Range Endeavor

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only scope you can TOTALLY trust to dial in that price range is the SWFA. Get one, get some ammo(good luck) and get shooting. I would also try and find someone in your area to help you with shooting fundamentals. It Doesn't matter how good your setup is if you suck at the basics.
preach it

OP
R
I would tell you to start with a 5-20 with exposed turrets. It is second focal plane, but for a new guy getting started and for hunting, I think it is a great option. I put one on a buddies long range rifle.

Truthfully, 14x is plenty for long range and hunting. I shoot most of my PRS style matches between 12 and 15 for any targets inside 600 yards. And, my first rifle had a fixed 12x SWFA that I shot MOA at 1000 yards during my first long range course I attended. And, it was the factory ammo with inconsistent velocity that increased the vertical string to moa. The rifle I hunt with is 18x on the top end.

Get illumination if you go FFP with the F1 scope. At low light and low power magnification, the reticle is harder to see.

If you must have first focal plane and more magnification, the Horus is an option, but then you get a lot more options opening up as well.

Seriously, call Doug if you cant get a discount from NF. Buddies have gotten great deals by calling.
I will thank you for taking the time to help I won’t be ready to buy for another week or two I just put the money out for the action and chassis so I want to let my bank account recover but it’s good to have a clear direction and not just rely on YouTube for a 1000 dollar purchase

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
OP
R
The only scope you can TOTALLY trust to dial in that price range is the SWFA. Get one, get some ammo(good luck) and get shooting. I would also try and find someone in your area to help you with shooting fundamentals. It Doesn't matter how good your setup is if you suck at the basics.
Thank you for the advice I am new to long range but I’m definitely not a new shooter I’ve been shooting my whole life and spent 4 years in the military. Long range is just not something I have no experience in so with a limited budget I am just trying to get the biggest bang for my buck. After the set up is figured out finding a range that goes out past 200 yds is my next hurdle.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thank you for the advice I am new to long range but I’m definitely not a new shooter I’ve been shooting my whole life and spent 4 years in the military. Long range is just not something I have no experience in so with a limited budget I am just trying to get the biggest bang for my buck. After the set up is figured out finding a range that goes out past 200 yds is my next hurdle.
I can tell you firsthand that just because you shoot a lot doesn't mean you are shooting right. You can get away with lots of bad fundamentals at close range. Everything is magnified the further you go out. Take a LR class or find someone better than you to keep you in check. This will help with the learning curve.

bdg848

WKR
I have an Athlon Midas Tac and love it. Cranked on the dials a fair bit and has always returned to zero. Look up the reviews for it on youtube by a channel called "cyclops optics" or something like that. He mounts it to a bench top, zeros it on a small target, and then does the traditional box tests plus he cranks on it like crazy by spinning it between his hands like a fire starter. It always returned to zero perfectly. That's what sold me.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can tell you firsthand that just because you shoot a lot doesn't mean you are shooting right. You can get away with lots of bad fundamentals at close range. Everything is magnified the further you go out. Take a LR class or find someone better than you to keep you in check. This will help with the learning curve.
Agree. I just wrote about it here in the Weekly Tips.

OP
R
Well I’m not claiming to be to be some amazing shooter but I’m pretty sure they taught me the proper fundamentals in the infantry. That being said I agree that there is always room for improvement and l am definitely interested in the long range game so I am open to training at some point. But the purpose of this thread was to gain info on the things like high mag optics and bipods which I have little to no real world experience with. Once my build is complete and I get some rounds on paper I will look into things like training, best loads for my build and purpose etc.But either way thank you for the info I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond and offer their experience and opinions.

OP
R
@Ripnrun4139

If you were military I highly recommend signing up for expert voice. Saved me some serious coin on optics.
I will definitely look into it I am probably going to buy used for my first long range optic but I appreciate the info and if I can’t use it this purchase if this winds up being something I enjoy which I’m pretty sure it will be there is always the next build

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Well I’m not claiming to be to be some amazing shooter but I’m pretty sure they taught me the proper fundamentals in the infantry. That being said I agree that there is always room for improvement and l am definitely interested in the long range game so I am open to training at some point. But the purpose of this thread was to gain info on the things like high mag optics and bipods which I have little to no real world experience with. Once my build is complete and I get some rounds on paper I will look into things like training, best loads for my build and purpose etc.But either way thank you for the info I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond and offer their experience and opinions.
They don’t, I was in the infantry for seven years. :)

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Food for thought, and yes, off topic of your thread. Here comes unsolicited advice, so its worth everything you paid, lol. Just trying to give a guy a heads up to what might be coming.

No offense, but even instruction in the infantry and instruction in sniper school are two very different levels. There is a massive difference from standard firearms training to long range training and technique. The instructors in the private world I like the most seem to come from Marine sniper schools, and they hammer fundamentals like no other. Even then, they publicly have told stories about what it took for them to learn to become PIGs, then HOGs, and then get their butts kicked in long range rifle competitions by the local pediatrician and plumber. I am no sniper, but I am pulling the "I know a sniper card", lol. I talk long range shooting nearly every day with former sniper instructors, a currently deployed sniper, members/coach of the AMU, industry professionals, ELR experts, etc. Long range shooting is seriously next level stuff on technique. And, there are things in the civilian world that still haven't made it to the military world.

I don't know you or your training. But, it is possible that the infantry training you have, if you rely on it, will possibly have the effect of holding you back--unless you had an exceptional instructor.

I hate for you to get the idea that I am trying to hammer you. If you need a shooting bag, PM me and I will cut you a massive discount. Thanks for your service.

OP
R
Food for thought, and yes, off topic of your thread. Here comes unsolicited advice, so its worth everything you paid, lol. Just trying to give a guy a heads up to what might be coming.

No offense, but even instruction in the infantry and instruction in sniper school are two very different levels. There is a massive difference from standard firearms training to long range training and technique. The instructors in the private world I like the most seem to come from Marine sniper schools, and they hammer fundamentals like no other. Even then, they publicly have told stories about what it took for them to learn to become PIGs, then HOGs, and then get their butts kicked in long range rifle competitions by the local pediatrician and plumber. I am no sniper, but I am pulling the "I know a sniper card", lol. I talk long range shooting nearly every day with former sniper instructors, a currently deployed sniper, members/coach of the AMU, industry professionals, ELR experts, etc. Long range shooting is seriously next level stuff on technique. And, there are things in the civilian world that still haven't made it to the military world.

I don't know you or your training. But, it is possible that the infantry training you have, if you rely on it, will possibly have the effect of holding you back--unless you had an exceptional instructor.

I hate for you to get the idea that I am trying to hammer you. If you need a shooting bag, PM me and I will cut you a massive discount. Thanks for your service.
I don’t feel like you guys are trying to hammer me at all. I get it that I may need training to be successful at long range shooting.I certainly don’t feel I know everything about shooting and when it comes to long range I really don’t know anything. I have no problem admitting that. I am just not at that point yet this is my first time trying it so I don’t even know if I will like it at this point.So before I look into those options I would like to get my feet wet with some range time and before that getting a usable platform. I enjoy the building process of firearm platforms and if long range shooting is something I truly enjoy I will probably do another more role specific build.There is a method to my madness I am trying to fill multiple roles with this build that is why I went with 300 win mag over the super popular 6.5 creedmoor. I really don’t see myself shooting prs matches but hey ya never know. But anyway I digress I understand that everyone on here is just offering their opinion based on their experience and what they have seen and that it is all meant to help and I appreciate it.

OP
R
They don’t, I was in the infantry for seven years. :)
Ok this is silly I’m not gonna go back and forth about what you think I know honestly I could care less I’m here for info on optics not to get into a pissing contest about if my fundamentals are acceptable to you thanks anyways tho

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ok this is silly I’m not gonna go back and forth about what you think I know honestly I could care less I’m here for info on optics not to get into a pissing contest about if my fundamentals are acceptable to you thanks anyways tho
Forums get silly sometimes... Good luck!

JakeM51

FNG
Well that seems like a great option I didn’t think I could get into nightforce with my budget 14x is a little lower mag than I wanted but i will take better quality glass over mag any day thank you I’m glad I posted here the feedback has been great
14 power isn't going to hold you back. Shooting half moa size targets at 600yds I found myself at 7 to 8 power. I was using a NF NXS 5.5-22x56.

Wapiti1

WKR
One comment on optics. A top end of 14 or 16 won't limit you, but you need a quality optic for it to work at its top power. An example would be the first gen Vortex Viper PST 4-16 I had. It was crap at 16X and only OK at 14.

I would suggest this: Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44mm Flat Dark Earth - FFP - G3 - Camera Land NY

A lot of scope for the money and they are known for good reliability. Only downside is that the reticle will be thin for lower light hunting if that is something you will do with it.

Jeremy