First Montana Elk/ mule deer hunt

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone. My dad and I just put in for our first out of state Elk hunt. We are hoping to get drawn for this year’s big game combo in Montana. This would be kind of a big deal for us as my dad has Hunted his whole life and never hunted out of state or shot a bull! I have been lucky enough to shoot two elk but that’s about it. We will be hunting rifles. I am interested primarily in areas that hold mule deer and elk to better our chances of seeing some legal animals. I have put probably a dozen hours into scouting online and have narrowed my search down to south of Bozeman north of Yellowstone. I would love any advice Montana hunters may have. We are pretty competent backpackers. But it’s hard to back pack into an area with limited experience as it can burn a lot of time. I plan to spend a long weekend over there this summer doing some scouting but that’s about all I can get in before the hunt. The plan is to hunt for about 10 days.Finding a bull elk is our first priority and getting an opportunity at a mule deer would be a great bonus.I have heard there’s grizzlies in the area but I’m not overly concerned with it.

As the rifle season is late October early November I suspect spot in stock is the best technique?

Did I pick a good region for Mule and elk deer over the counter?

Would you advise throw an point on the map and packing in 5-10 miles or doing Day hunts from the truck for increased flexibility?

If you had a 10 day window which part of the season would you choose to hunt and why?

Should I expect lots of back country hunters or mostly “road hunters” in this region? It’s very common to see 10+ trucks parked at the trail head here in Washington.

Is it unreasonable to expect to you have an opportunity at deer and elk in the same region? I see it then together quite frequently here in Washington.

I have been looking on on-x maps, google earth , Way too many YouTube videos, and go hunt is there any other resources you would recommend?

Thanks so much! ( Not expecting anyone to give away there secret spots:) or best kept secrets)

Just so you know those are both grizzly bear areas. South of Bozeman was terrible last year.

Wapiti1

WKR
As the rifle season is late October early November I suspect spot in stock is the best technique?

Yep, that's pretty much the only technique unless you get snow and can track them. Glass will be your friend.

That region has both. Is it good? Probably as good as anywhere else. Indian Summer makes a good point on the bears. That is all grizzly country, so pay attention to being careful and clean camping. I don't hunt that area in Montana, so that's all I can tell you. I've hiked down there, and it can be very rugged country.

Would you advise throw an point on the map and packing in 5-10 miles or doing Day hunts from the truck for increased flexibility?

Day hunts if you don't know the country and the habits of the elk. Have the ability to spike camp if you need to, but I'd only do that after you get some intel on the elk. Most units don't have more than 5-6 miles between roads. It's hard to find areas that are 10 miles from a road and not close to another road. They exist, but MT tends to have decent access.

If you had a 10 day window which part of the season would you choose to hunt and why?

Second and third week. I hate the opening week idiot fest.

Should I expect lots of back country hunters or mostly “road hunters” in this region? It’s very common to see 10+ trucks parked at the trail head here in Washington.

You'll see more road hunters, and horse trailers at the trail heads. I'll just tell you to avoid trailheads. They are of little value IMO.

Is it unreasonable to expect to you have an opportunity at deer and elk in the same region? I see it then together quite frequently here in Washington.

No. Muleys are scattered top to bottom. The elk will usually be at a level depending on snow and hunting pressure. You'll see deer scattered. The bigger bucks will be mid to high on the mountain unless there is snow, then they'll be snowline as a good place to start. Does will be low along with the fork horns. Elk will be as high as they can get to avoid hunters and still be able to eat. Bigger bulls will be higher than the cows. Smaller bulls may be with the cows or with the bigger bulls.

I have been looking on on-x maps, google earth , Way too many YouTube videos, and go hunt is there any other resources you would recommend?

Biologist for the area.

Jeremy

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
I was kind of thinking the 2nd week just for the reason of avoiding the biggest crowd. I will reach out to the local Biologist if I get a drawn. I have noticed that there is some pretty sizable wildness areas, does anyone know how hard they get hunted?
my guess is that the trails are busy but that it get much less busy as you get a mile off a marked trail.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Best time to elk hunt rifle... After you get some snow. It helps you get on tracks, can spot easier, and, once you get enough they start moving. Most people will hunt the last parts of rifle for this reason.

If you're willing to backpack, find the roadless and trailers areas and use that info, road hunters will be pushing herds anywhere they can drive.

The areas you are talking about are the grizzly areas... I've never hunted there, but thats where you'll have a good chance of finding them. I've been spotting some areas around there though.

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
Would you recommend a different region of Montana for hunting deer and elk during the same season?
I picked this area solely off the information I could find on go hunt so I have no boots on the ground experience.

I personally like the element of thunderstick surprise of opening week when Elk are still planning on Archery buffer zone...... Second week wouldn't be too bad.
The problem you run into with you being from Washington is you can't just wait for snow. Ideally the colder the better for Elk hunting. Opening week at zero degrees ...awesome. 3rd or 4th week with 50 -60..horrible.j That is why I like opening week all things equal. You would like to think if you go 3rd or 4th you can plan on snow but it hasn't worked that way lately. I personally like the Southwest corner with the zones outside of Dillon
in the 329-331 area. Decent combo of Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk. If you go the first 2 weeks of Elk you can whack an Antelope also if you draw it. More fun tickets...

Reactions: CMF
OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
That’s great info about the antelope. I did not realize that. I will definitely put in for that drawing yes I get the big game combo.Unfortunately I think I will have to commit to a 10 day window several weeks in advance.

Antelope season usually runs 2 weeks prior to Elk rifle and the first 2 weeks of rifle. They are a great mid day activity as the Elk go into the deep stuff around 9-9:30

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know an thing about antelope hunting other than what I have seen on some YouTube. But it seems that the antelope and deer/ Elk live in very different terrain. Is that true? Is there a sizable antelope population in the south west corner of Montana?

The antelope are all over the lower open valleys during the day. the Elk spend the day in the timber and come down at night for the grass and Hay returning to the timber at first light. You hunt the Elk until 9:30 ish and after 3 pm. Antelope in between. They are not in the exact same area but in the same 10 - 20 mile radius.
It is great mid day entertainment. As they are usually all over the place out in the open. Additionally a lot of ranchers who won't let you trespass for Elk/Deer don't mind you whacking Antelope on their property if you ask.

Reactions: CMF

Krm140

FNG
Hey everyone. My dad and I just put in for our first out of state Elk hunt. We are hoping to get drawn for this year’s big game combo in Montana. This would be kind of a big deal for us as my dad has Hunted his whole life and never hunted out of state or shot a bull! I have been lucky enough to shoot two elk but that’s about it. We will be hunting rifles. I am interested primarily in areas that hold mule deer and elk to better our chances of seeing some legal animals. I have put probably a dozen hours into scouting online and have narrowed my search down to south of Bozeman north of Yellowstone. I would love any advice Montana hunters may have. We are pretty competent backpackers. But it’s hard to back pack into an area with limited experience as it can burn a lot of time. I plan to spend a long weekend over there this summer doing some scouting but that’s about all I can get in before the hunt. The plan is to hunt for about 10 days.Finding a bull elk is our first priority and getting an opportunity at a mule deer would be a great bonus.I have heard there’s grizzlies in the area but I’m not overly concerned with it.

Thanks so much! ( Not expecting anyone to give away there secret spots:) or best kept secrets)
Did you draw? I too am hunting montana for 1st time this year. So I just joined this site to hopefully get some info and brush up on my tech skills cause I'm not very good with this kind of thing. Don't even know how to make my own post yet. I'm going to try to make it out twice. Once in archery and again in November. Nov. Will be a elk/deer/ whatever I'm feeling at the time. I'm also completely new to elk hunting but have been preparing for a couple years. Not new to backpacking however. My goal is to find a unit or 3 that has decent elk population, with the ability to get away from roads/trails, but what I want to know the most to help me begin my search is what units in good elk country have the lowest wolf and griz population. Wolves moreso than griz. My thinking is if I kind find this info it will provide my best chances of finding vocal bulls. I know harvesting my first hunt is a long shot but I want to hear bulls, be able to make plays and experience the rut. Anyway that's my tactic on how I plan on narrowing down my unit search. Good luck!

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
Did you draw? I too am hunting montana for 1st time this year. So I just joined this site to hopefully get some info and brush up on my tech skills cause I'm not very good with this kind of thing. Don't even know how to make my own post yet. I'm going to try to make it out twice. Once in archery and again in November. Nov. Will be a elk/deer/ whatever I'm feeling at the time. I'm also completely new to elk hunting but have been preparing for a couple years. Not new to backpacking however. My goal is to find a unit or 3 that has decent elk population, with the ability to get away from roads/trails, but what I want to know the most to help me begin my search is what units in good elk country have the lowest wolf and griz population. Wolves moreso than griz. My thinking is if I kind find this info it will provide my best chances of finding vocal bulls. I know harvesting my first hunt is a long shot but I want to hear bulls, be able to make plays and experience the rut. Anyway that's my tactic on how I plan on narrowing down my unit search. Good luck!
Sadly I did not get drawn as you likely know there was a lot more applicants this year than normal.

Krm140

FNG
Sadly I did not get drawn as you likely know there was a lot more applicants this year than normal.
Sorry to hear. Get em next year. Still some second draw and otc opportunities available in other states. I had 1 point going in and bought 2nd point during app process. Everyone I knew with same drew. Just to let you know where you stand for next year. Good luck

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
I was planning to do the alternate list but I got a left over Idaho elk tag so imma do that this year.