First Moose Hunt

Bcheney6

FNG
Booking our trip to Ninilchik AK for our first moose hunt, this is a DIY hunt we have friends that lent us their cabin in the caribou hills. Looking for gear suggestions, ( rain gear or camo or both) hunting methods, and general advice on hunting the caribou hills area.
Thanks!

Lots of moose in the caribou hills area. Also a lot of cabins and hunters-you won’t be alone. Trails everywhere. Google caribou hills cabin hoppers for trails and maps. Good news is there are non-motorized dates built into the moose hunting season. Good luck to you!

OP
B

Bcheney6

FNG
Lots of moose in the caribou hills area. Also a lot of cabins and hunters-you won’t be alone. Trails everywhere. Google caribou hills cabin hoppers for trails and maps. Good news is there are non-motorized dates built into the moose hunting season. Good luck to you!
Good to hear, I've been looking for a map like that thanks! The regs say all of 15C is non-motorized for the season so maybe that will help.

Catchfish

WKR
Pretty sure your incorrect on the non motorized in 15C I have hunted the area for over 20 years. There are 2 parts of the moose season in 15c where it is non motorized for hunting and that includes, transportation of hunters, equipment and a moose. You will not have a wilderness experience but it can be a fun moose hunt. Make sure to take your required test and be good at judging moose there are a lot of 2x2 brokering moose in the area you will more than likely not see one with more than 3 browtines.
Feel free to PM me with questions.

Attachments

• 01BBFF9F-4603-43C7-B03C-0C850A40C5C8.png
    01BBFF9F-4603-43C7-B03C-0C850A40C5C8.png
    696.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
B

Bcheney6

FNG
Pretty sure your incorrect on the non motorized in 15C I have hunted the area for over 20 years. There are 2 parts of the moose season in 15c where it is non motorized for hunting and that includes, transportation of hunters, equipment and a moose. You will not have a wilderness experience but it can be a fun moose hunt. Make sure to take your required test and be good at judging moose there are a lot of 2x2 brokering moose in the area you will more than likely not see one with more than 3 browtines.
Feel free to PM me with questions.
Right its not closed the whole season I read that wrong, we are planning our trip for the 11th-18th so we will be able to use motorized for our hunt. Im a little nervous about judging a 50" moose I was hoping for 3 brow tines lol but I only missed one on the test. Thanks for the correction

RELIANT

FNG
Good Luck on your hunt! Never hunted in AK, but in Canada good raingear was a must, hunting on the edge of lakes and beaver ponds worked well, and cow calling up into drainages did the trick for bringing bulls in. We had a saying from the time a moose is born it never drys off. 😜

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
That’s the clip from last years regs so don’t follow that as gospel the new one will come out this summer for the next fall season.
Excellent point…new reg’s are available towards the end of June and are effective July1st every year. Sometimes there are essentially few if any changes, sometimes more than a few, and sometimes significant changes. Most/all changes are specific to identified/specified GMU’s, so review them carefully every year. I hope you have a safe and memorable hunting adventure up here.

OP
B

Bcheney6

FNG
Good Luck on your hunt! Never hunted in AK, but in Canada good raingear was a must, hunting on the edge of lakes and beaver ponds worked well, and cow calling up into drainages did the trick for bringing bulls in. We had a saying from the time a moose is born it never drys off. 😜
Thanks! I was hesitant on full rain gear because I was worried about noise and being easily seen but I think that's better than being soaked, from what I've gathered moose are not quite as skittish as elk.

bmrfish

WKR
We hunted across Cook Inlet one year. It rained everyday. One night it stopped and we both work up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk