First Mule Deer Hunt

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a Wyoming Region C Mule deer tag. I kind of applied on a whim not expecting to draw but to hopefully put one in my pocket to go along with an antelope tag. Didn’t expect to draw but and VERY excited to get out there! I have 2 questions to start with for you experts.

1) The season is oct 1-14, full moon is on the 14th. Most people recommend staying away opening week due to hunting pressure, but I’m leaning towards opening day due to the moon. Anyone else prefer to hunt with darker nights? I’d like a mule deer hunters perspective. (I’m sure the books below will give insight into this as well).

2) which book of the 3 in the picture should I start with given the terrain I will be hunting (low rolling hills, grasslands, sage, river bottoms). This isn’t a high country hunt, so I wonder if one book is better suited for this hunt. I’m sure Robby’s book will be on my shelf in a month or so regardless, but wanted to see if there was one that maybe best suited my planned hunt.

aefa7d3e9dbc078233cc4856cce5e093.jpg

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Long Answer...I'm not a mule deer hunter but have hunted whitetails for over 25 years. It is more than anecdote, with some decent research now available, that mature whitetail bucks have a peak in daytime movement on the waxing moon the few days in front of full. I've always noticed that on our camp's trail cams and it has always served us well to sit late around the full moon. That being said I don't let moon phase ever keep me out of the woods especially if I'm compelled to be there for other positive reasons (weather, pressure, etc.)

Short answer...Don't worry about the moon, just hunt hard and hunt all day.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
No book is going to tell you how to hunt your area. Get online and start looking at Google Earth and find a bunch of spots that look good. Buy a good map so you can see the big picture when your in the field. Glass with the sun at your back in the AM, look into the shadows the rest of the day. Glass from a tripod. If you aint seeing deer move.

Westx

FNG
Ive read Long's book and he's killed and filmed some great deer. I agree no book is going to help you kill a big deer but just hunt hard. If you scout your ass off then you may only need a couple days to get it done. i killed my biggest deer on a full moon.

I drew a Wyoming Region C Mule deer tag. I kind of applied on a whim not expecting to draw but to hopefully put one in my pocket to go along with an antelope tag. Didn’t expect to draw but and VERY excited to get out there! I have 2 questions to start with for you experts.

1) The season is oct 1-14, full moon is on the 14th. Most people recommend staying away opening week due to hunting pressure, but I’m leaning towards opening day due to the moon. Anyone else prefer to hunt with darker nights? I’d like a mule deer hunters perspective. (I’m sure the books below will give insight into this as well).

2) which book of the 3 in the picture should I start with given the terrain I will be hunting (low rolling hills, grasslands, sage, river bottoms). This isn’t a high country hunt, so I wonder if one book is better suited for this hunt. I’m sure Robby’s book will be on my shelf in a month or so regardless, but wanted to see if there was one that maybe best suited my planned hunt.

aefa7d3e9dbc078233cc4856cce5e093.jpg
I drew my first mule deer tag this year as well. I've read the top and bottom books and would lean toward Robby's book. Both are great, though. Robby's is more focused on big deer but still offers great info for a guy who doesn't need to shoot a 200" deer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Books don't take game... boots on the ground .one on one.
Don't try to hunt in books,go and enjoy and see for yourself.
Thats what hunting and the outdoors are all about... :cool:

OP
B

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it. While it isn’t my first out west rodeo, it is my first mule deer hunt. So I figured I needed a little extra help through the waiting game. I’m going to start with Robby’s book and go from there. Best of luck everyone this year!

street

WKR
I think you get more out of podcasts tbh. You get perspectives from many different successful hunters and then you find the common themes between all of them. And yeah, experience is the only true way.