First Mule deer hunt

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve went out west two times last year in MT on a big game combo tag. And was able to take a little Muley buck on the last day. This year me and a buddy are looking to do another hunt but we are wanting a early season archery Muley hunt. I have 3 points in CO, 2 points in WY but I’d rather not burn those CO points as my buddy doesn’t have any. So we were considering UT, leftover CO, maybe WY, MT, ID, NM. Would be nice to maybe have a elk tag as well in whichever states are possible. Is there a state you guys would suggest? I kinda like how early UT season is. Thanks for all your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
whitetail88arch

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
Also some suggestions for books to read on how to mule deer hunt would be great! thanks

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Montana is the only western state that I hunt. Rifle only.(can’t help you there)

Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh is a good read.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest Utah or Wyoming honestly. Colorado will have later dates this year and I believe utahs dates will be in august. In my experience bucks are "easy" to find and pattern in August. Good luck!

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest you read Robby dennings book How to hunt big mule deer and take the biggest buck of your life. Also David long and mike Duplans book The edge is good

OP
whitetail88arch

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
Any other mule deer hunting books or suggestions on states? Thanks

LJ Buck

WKR
just hunt as many areas and states as you can. You will find what your looking for over time.

cmp224

FNG
I'm planning my first one to arizona on one of their otc archery deer tags

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
You can draw 0 point units in CO that are better mule deer hunting than your other options and get elk OTC. Your 3 mule deer points are worth much more than 0 TBH. So you’re not throwing them away...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Colorado leftover if you don’t wanna burn those points as your buddy pulls you both to zero.

Or Wyoming but you can’t pull G or H (unless you get way lucky in the random) but there are other places.

Much of Utah will scare you unless you got some inside intel. And same for Idaho as our buck numbers are hurting in a lot of places.

I'm planning my first one to arizona on one of their otc archery deer tags

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I am heading to Tucson next week to visit my parents and was hoping to scope out the area for a potential future mule deer bowhunt. Anybody hunted the area south of Tucson? I have been doing some research but have not found a ton of information. Sounds like TMP used to be a decent place but has declined dramatically...