First Multipurpose Rifle

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to buy my first bolt action. I would like it to be multi function. Please help with direction. Here's what I would like to achieve

Hunting (200yrd or less) and Long range target (probably 600yrd max)
Weight not an issue within reason
Thinking .308win
Considering Tikka T3x Lite and Bergara B-14 Ridge
Price around $700 or less

Thank you all in advance.

howl

WKR
What does a TIKKA CTR go for? I don't keep up because the bolt handles are backwards on those.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There are cheaper options than the two rigs you mentioned, but those are two great rifles. There are also much more expensive choices too. In staying at that $700 range, I’d go with the Tikka personally but that’s just me. Go handle some rifles and see what you like and don’t like about them.

.308 is an awesome caliber for just about all big game here in the US. Ammo is cheap and plentiful! At 600 yards you have a lot of dialing to do with the .308 but just shooting targets it’s all good. I’ve shot plenty of whitetails my my old Ruger .308 out at 500 yards. Just gotta know your ballistics and practice!

Where and what do you plan on hunting? When choosing a scope be sure to take this into account.

clockworkgator

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Winchester XPR. Great bolt and barrel, durable finish, shoots well, cheaper than Tikka.

Very happy tikka owner here. Feels to me like some other makers are waking up to the desire for a value-oriented shooter that doesn’t have to look pretty or feel expensive. There may be some other options in that price range that are on par but tikka has many, many, many happy customers.

As far as caliber, lots of options and opinions. I am a meat and potatoes guy. If I can’t find ammo for it at Walmart, I don’t really want to own it. 308 is a fine round. 6.5 cm is a bit softer shooting. 30-06 has a bit more crack but costs more and has more recoil. Magnums aren’t exactly multi use guns to most shooters. Cost, recoil and the propensity to blow big, messy holes in small game make them less than ideal for a lot of hunting.

MNhunter

FNG
Winchester model 70 .270 has been my go to multi purpose rifle since I've been 16. Not super heavy but not super lightweight either. Lots of good things said about both of those rifles you have on your list .

OP
K

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
What does a TIKKA CTR go for? I don't keep up because the bolt handles are backwards on those.

The CTR is around $900-1000. I am considering this option as well. Ive been told the barrel will not heat up like a T3x lite. In that case I can shoot more at the range without waiting for it to cool. Thoughts?

OP
K

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
There are cheaper options than the two rigs you mentioned, but those are two great rifles. There are also much more expensive choices too. In staying at that $700 range, I’d go with the Tikka personally but that’s just me. Go handle some rifles and see what you like and don’t like about them.

.308 is an awesome caliber for just about all big game here in the US. Ammo is cheap and plentiful! At 600 yards you have a lot of dialing to do with the .308 but just shooting targets it’s all good. I’ve shot plenty of whitetails my my old Ruger .308 out at 500 yards. Just gotta know your ballistics and practice!

Where and what do you plan on hunting? When choosing a scope be sure to take this into account.

Thanks for the comments. I live in Southern California. My plan for 2020 Rifle is California Blacktail, Cow elk (depending on where i can pick up a tag, not picky). A couple pigs Central California. And then plenty of target shooting at the range and blm land.

For scope, I plan to match (at minimum) the price of the rifle.

OP
K

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. Do I need to be ware of the barrel heating up with multiple shots at the range? I read a lot about range shooting you want a heavier barrel. If this is a legitimate concern, I am will to lug a heavier (within reason) rifle while I hunt. I am not a 14 mile, 6k vertical feet backpacker though I do like to get out there a few miles on foot.

Thanks everyone. Do I need to be ware of the barrel heating up with multiple shots at the range? I read a lot about range shooting you want a heavier barrel. If this is a legitimate concern, I am will to lug a heavier (within reason) rifle while I hunt. I am not a 14 mile, 6k vertical feet backpacker though I do like to get out there a few miles on foot.
Tikka barrels are actually a heavier contour than most other sporters. They are also a little longer. I think that's why they tend to shoot better than most. Surprisingly, even with the heavier contour barrel and added length, they are still lighter than just about every other rifle. It's amazing you can have both in the same rifle.

I was on the fence about buying a T3x or a Remington mountain rifle a few years ago. Had both of them in my hands at the same time, and they were the same price that particular day. The heavier barrel contour and added length of the Tikka, combined with it weighing 1/2 lb. less, made my mind up for me.

OP
K

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka barrels are actually a heavier contour than most other sporters. They are also a little longer. I think that's why they tend to shoot better than most. Surprisingly, even with the heavier contour barrel and added length, they are still lighter than just about every other rifle. It's amazing you can have both in the same rifle.

I was on the fence about buying a T3x or a Remington mountain rifle a few years ago. Had both of them in my hands at the same time, and they were the same price that particular day. The heavier barrel contour and added length of the Tikka, combined with it weighing 1/2 lb. less, made my mind up for me.

Thanks. It is tough to think Tikka could have a heavier barrel but overall lighter weight. I guess all the savings are in the stock.

OP
K

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka it is. Thanks for all the insight. Looking forward to shooting something louder than an untuned bow.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My friend got a tikka t3x in 308, slapped on an SWFA 6x scope and used it this past year to get a sheep, moose and a few caribou, I believe the entire setup was under 1000.00. It's the only gun he owns, it seems like a good "all around" rifle to me.

howl

WKR
Heavier barrel will take more shots before it starts to walk and will walk less. Then it takes longer to cool down. I haven't tested this on paper so it would be easy to say more than I know. When I want to get a barrel hot shooting at distance I use a big steel target.

The other advantage is off hand shooting on static targets. More weight out front hangs better. It is more "shootable".

OutdoorAg

WKR
Tikka CTR in 6.5 or 308

Chop to 18

Or 17

Thread on a suppressor

Rock on

Could change CTR to name to MTP - Multi Purpose. Great all around gun.

OP
K

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka CTR in 6.5 or 308

Chop to 18

Or 17

Thread on a suppressor

Rock on

Could change CTR to name to MTP - Multi Purpose. Great all around gun.

I wish we could use suppressors in CA. I do shoot a lot in AZ. I think they are legal there, maybe Ill grab on to keep out in the desert.

OP
K

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
Update: I went with the Tikka t3x lite in stainless. Eurooptics.com had a good deal on a lightly used demo. Shot it yesterday from a bench at 100 yrd. First three shots before effing up my scope hit sup MOA as advertised. I would even say they were maybe a half inch spread. Very happy with the gun.

I do wish it was a little heavier like the CTR barrel. Tends to heat up fast but like a good lite barrel, cools down pretty fast as well.

Went with 6.5 creedmoor and even though that is a "light" round shoulder was a little sore aft about round 30 (shot 40 rounds total). Used Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELDX and will stick with that for a while.

I mounted a Leupold 3xi 4.5-14x40. The glass is clear in all magnifications. to be blunt I am a shitty gunsmith and will be sending my rifle in to get it remounted by a pro. I am also very awkward with adjusting the scope and will rezero probably with some help.

Can't wait to keep playing with the rifle and really appreciate all the comments in this thread even though I kinda went on my own program in the end (budgeting is king). PS if my wife asks, I paid....