First muzzleloader recommendations needed

Grassy

FNG
I’ve been doing research online for a muzzleloader and see a lot of knowledge on this site so wanted to get some opinions. My situation:

Hunt only in Michigan for whitetail
Terrain is mostly wooded, shots over 100 yards likely very rare
Not too much hiking, reasonable walk to blind/stand
No set budget, I’m fine paying for quality

So far the consensus seems to be a CVA model or the Knight Mountaineer. Thoughts?

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
What rules govern the muzzleloader in Michigan? 209, percussion caps, sabots, pellets, loose powder, open sights, magnified sights??? If we know more of that info can give better advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Grassy

FNG
Sorry I’m not finding any specific regulations related to muzzleloaders. I’ll keep checking.

ENCORE

WKR
Michigan does not have a lot of muzzleloader requirements except...….. Must be loaded from the muzzle with black powder or BP substitute. Smokeless propellant IS NOT allowed.
Everybody has a budget but if you don't, have one of the many custom builders build you a rifle.

With the limited requirements you post, just about any production rifle made today is very capable of what you're asking. Anything from a CVA Wolf to a Knight, Remington Ultimate or CVA Paramount.
I'm not really a CVA fan, but the Accura V2 would give you everything you needed.

OP
G

Grassy

FNG
Thank you for your help. Currently I’m looking at the Mountaineer or the Accura MR.

Michigan does not have a lot of muzzleloader requirements except...….. Must be loaded from the muzzle with black powder or BP substitute. Smokeless propellant IS NOT allowed.
Everybody has a budget but if you don't, have one of the many custom builders build you a rifle.

With the limited requirements you post, just about any production rifle made today is very capable of what you're asking. Anything from a CVA Wolf to a Knight, Remington Ultimate or CVA Paramount.
I'm not really a CVA fan, but the Accura V2 would give you everything you needed.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
If they aren’t any technical requirements then you can get away with even a traditions buckstalker for less than $200. Red dot or normal scope can get you out past the 100 yards you said was normal shots for Michigan. If going with a zoom scope I’d do a ffp so at minimum zoom your poi is same as max zoom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve smoked a couple deer with the CVA wolf NW Compliant. $200 and gets it done with no frills. I’ve whacked several dozen whitetail growing up on east coast and think you’d be happy with it.

Jimss

WKR
I would highly recommend a 50 cal TC Pro Hunter. Mine shoots relatively tight groups at 200 yards with sabots and a dot scope. You also have the option of switching out other barrels!

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
CVA optima V2 has been great for me. Got it on sale less than $250 a few years back.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I have TC Encore and a knight disc extreme. Both are well made and accurate, I'd recommend either of them without reservation.

The encore is easier to clean and prime and due to it being a break action it is slightly shorter overall even though both have the same barrel length.

The knight is a very well built gun, balances well and while it is slightly more difficult to clean than the encore, it isn't hard to clean by any means. From what I read, it seems in general knights are more accurate. But I wouldn't say either one of mine is any less accurate than the other.

I have multiple friends who shoot CVA rifles and while they don't do anything for me personally, none of them have complaints, and all of their guns are good shooters.

OXN939

WKR
I’ve been doing research online for a muzzleloader and see a lot of knowledge on this site so wanted to get some opinions. My situation:

So far the consensus seems to be a CVA model or the Knight Mountaineer. Thoughts?

CVAs are great guns to learn on. Any of them will get the job done- I'd spend more money on the optic than the rifle. Of those mentioned above, I'd probably go with an Optima. Ergonomics are a little better than a Wolf, and the trigger on mine is actually very good. Throw a decent 3-9 or 2-7 scope on there and you could be into a very nice blackpowder setup for $500, which is probably the close to the best venison-to-dollars-spent ratio going.

elkguide

WKR
I have a "few" muzzleloaders and have had a lot more that have come and gone. There are so many options in factory rifles and lots of different price ranges. After years of shooting different muzzleloaders the only ones that I have left in my safe are either Thompson Centers or Knights. I find them to be more consistently accurate, easy to point and tip things over and they just feel better in my hands.

Nfactor

FNG
I have a t/c impact. Very happy for a 250 dollar gun. Would have no problem shooting a whitetail at 100 yards with it.

My CVA Wolf (sub-$200 Bass Pro special scoped combo that my dad bought for me 15 years ago) has served me well. Granted, it doesn't get much work since I usually have a full freezer by the time the state where I do my deer hunting (Missouri) holds muzzleloader season. But I did take a whitetail doe at 120 yds and a coyote at 100 yds a couple years back, both with 250 gr Hornady sabots. If I were going on an elk hunt out west where longer shots are likely, I'd consider a higher end gun and/or scope, but for hunting Ozark timber where close shots are the norm, the CVA Wolf is plenty good enough.

I've shot and hunted with the TC Omega, Encore, CVA Optima V2, Acura V2 and a few others. For value and accuracy I like the Acura the most. Put a good scope on and and time at the range to work up a good load.

OP
G

Grassy

FNG
Thanks for feedback, I’m down to the Accura V2 or the MR.

Going to start with the BH209 with Barnes 250 and 290 T-ez bullets.