First muzzleloader CVA accura vs Traditions Nitrofire

The Blackhorn powder doesn't foul the barrel as bad as some of the other black powder substitutes. But it can be a problem in some BP rifles due to breech plug design. Triple 7 is a really good alternative as well. Just start out on a lower load und work your weigh up until you find the load you are satisfied with. The bullet type is dependent on what your hunting. Almost all the bullets out now will effectively take game. Also all published load data is by volume not by grain weight. So you'll have to use a volume measurer.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
If you ONLY plan to shoot sabots and never use it in a western state like Colorado, the T/C would be a good rifle.

if you EVER think you might shoot conicals out of it or hunt Colorado, where you have to shoot conicals, get the CVA

CVAs will reliably shoot both. T/C will only reliably shoot sabots.

Oh man this comment made my lunch break :LOL:

So yes... T/C shoots conicals just fine.

Between my dad and I, we shoot a couple does a piece a year with our muzzleloaders which are set up for elk hunting in CO. Just to avoid getting rusty with open sights.

Trust me... I check them for holes... We ain't just scaring them to death.

I have had great luck with my CVA optima. Can be found for reasonable price and mine has seen use in CO and NM. I changed the breech plug for BH209 initially and never looked back.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
The acurra v2 is a great gun and i think it looks good too! its so easy to clean, and with the nitride barrel you don't have to worry about rust nearly as much as others. I wouldn't trade it for an encore if I had chance.

Oh man this comment made my lunch break :LOL:

So yes... T/C shoots conicals just fine.

Between my dad and I, we shoot a couple does a piece a year with our muzzleloaders which are set up for elk hunting in CO. Just to avoid getting rusty with open sights.

Trust me... I check them for holes... We ain't just scaring them to death.

Glad you got some T/C rifles that shoot conicals well. But if you shoot guns with their QLA, you can’t count on that. AND T/C will not guarantee the guns will shoot conicals. If you don’t believe me call them and ask them. My brother has one that shoots conicals OK. But I had to have my QLA removed.

if I was to guess, I would bet you shoot bullets that have a rear bell on them, like powerbelts? Those bullets, while they are considered conicals, have the rear piece that expands like a sabot and prevents the gases from be a problem. When I tried to shoot some real conicals, like No excuses bullets, they went thru the target sideways. Sent the gun to T/C. They said it was a sabot gun and would not replace the barrel.

google it. It is a real problem. The problem is because the QLA is always in the very center of the gun, but the bore isn’t.

I’m a big fan on the CVAs, I have the Optima V2 and when in CO for elk use the BH209 breech plug, otherwise use 777 pellets and the stock plug when hunting whitetail elsewhere. If the model that you want has the option for the nitride barrel, do it, well worth the extra $100 to have that barrel coating and corrosion protection on a muzzleloader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ffcpfef

FNG
I upgraded from an entry level TC Omega to the CVA Optima V2 LR stainless and I can definitely say I like the CVA loaders a lot better after checking out the different models and price points of each company.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 optima v2s and they are very accurate. It's worth the extra cost for blackhorn not having to swab every shot.

Also sold my TC Omega Z7 to get the CVA Accura V2 with thumbhole and nitride barrel. Bought mine off Muzzleloaders.com last fall on sale. I haven't switched over to Blackhorn just using Triple 7 pellets now. I did buy Hornady, TC, and Barnes saboted ammo. Amazing difference between them all and the sabot fit in the barrel. It's worth it to play around with different loads to find what your gun shoots best IMO.

OP
TonySkyline
Re-igniting this thread. I never purchased a muzzleloader previously and stocked up on way way to many other rifles instead and still have multiple builds started but all are almost buttoned up. Time to think muzzleloader again. I went and picked up to get a feel for the optima and the accura mrx at a store last week. It’s not even a question now, I’d for sure go with the accura as I fell in love with the grippy textured soft touch stock on it compared to the cheap plastic feeling Tupperware stock on the optima. It also had a bad ass thick but fluted bergara barrel that the optima did not have. I’ve ruled out T/C as they don’t seem to exist anymore. It’s now down to 3
CVA Accura MR-X in stainless/ or gray Nitride
Traditions Nitrofire
CVA Wolf (only because it’s dirt cheap during any holiday promo like the 4th of July coming up)
Has anyone here actually used and shot the Nitrofire??? I’ve never used a muzzleloader and it makes me nervous due to a local blowing his fingers off the last time I was posting on this thread… the Nitrofire is super simple to use and looks to be way safer as it eliminates a breach plug and the powder charge is encapsulated. The only downfall is legality in some states (legal in most the states I’ll hunt) and if they discontinue the fire sticks in the future.
The accura looks the nicest of the bunch but it’s hard to look past how safe and simple that Nitrofire is to use for a noob like me.
I am also looking at the Athlon muzzleloader scope, has anyone used this? I’m either going with that or using a spare Nikon prostaff 3-9x that’s collecting dust. It has a nice bdc on it and thought I might be able to utilize that but not sure how to match it all up?
Thoughts?

Rich M

WKR
If you are gonna buy a wolf, get an optima. I've had both and optima is better.

209s are preferred. Caps are only if you have to. Not sure about this ignition you are talking about.
It really isn't too tough - take the ignition source out before you reload, or it yer hunting and in a big hurry, keep your fingers/face/etc out of the barrel line. Seems like an odd accident you mention - I've not had any incidents and do pretend its gonna go off when I reload, just to be safe - same for any firearm.

How far you gonna shoot? 150 yards is doable without hash marks on your scope.

OP
TonySkyline
I’m wanting to get up to 300 yards if possible. That’s about the average long distance in this great spot that I have that’s mostly open field although I’ve taken a nice buck at 430 yards there. I don’t expect that distance from any of these muzzleloaders without raising the bar on my options to a 700 or cva paramount. The Nitrofire is less expensive than the accura MR-X but a little more than the optima. Just seems like a simple easy to use system and maybe more consistent since the fire sticks are all done at the factory and should all be exactly the same weights of powder in each one.

OP
TonySkyline
The only noticeable difference I can see between the wolf and optima is the barrel length. Both seems to have the cheaper stock and barrel but the optima is a few inches longer and heavier which I’d assume adds some distance for shots. The wolf looks like a 200 yard and in type of muzzleloader with how short that barrel is but correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve never shot one

Rich M

WKR
The only noticeable difference I can see between the wolf and optima is the barrel length. Both seems to have the cheaper stock and barrel but the optima is a few inches longer and heavier which I’d assume adds some distance for shots. The wolf looks like a 200 yard and in type of muzzleloader with how short that barrel is but correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve never shot one

I just couldnt get mine to group well at 100 and the optima shoots holes touching at that range. I want to get dialed out to 250, will use a bdc scope.

Have heard a few guys going 250-300 w optima and 200 w wolf. I mighta just had a bad one.

If you are liking the nitrofire, run with it. Make sure you figure a way to load your own firesticks in 20 or so years when the rest of us are shooting lasers at the deer.

Last edited:

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Re-igniting this thread. I never purchased a muzzleloader previously and stocked up on way way to many other rifles instead and still have multiple builds started but all are almost buttoned up. Time to think muzzleloader again. I went and picked up to get a feel for the optima and the accura mrx at a store last week. It’s not even a question now, I’d for sure go with the accura as I fell in love with the grippy textured soft touch stock on it compared to the cheap plastic feeling Tupperware stock on the optima. It also had a bad ass thick but fluted bergara barrel that the optima did not have. I’ve ruled out T/C as they don’t seem to exist anymore. It’s now down to 3
CVA Accura MR-X in stainless/ or gray Nitride
Traditions Nitrofire
CVA Wolf (only because it’s dirt cheap during any holiday promo like the 4th of July coming up)
Has anyone here actually used and shot the Nitrofire??? I’ve never used a muzzleloader and it makes me nervous due to a local blowing his fingers off the last time I was posting on this thread… the Nitrofire is super simple to use and looks to be way safer as it eliminates a breach plug and the powder charge is encapsulated. The only downfall is legality in some states (legal in most the states I’ll hunt) and if they discontinue the fire sticks in the future.
The accura looks the nicest of the bunch but it’s hard to look past how safe and simple that Nitrofire is to use for a noob like me.
I am also looking at the Athlon muzzleloader scope, has anyone used this? I’m either going with that or using a spare Nikon prostaff 3-9x that’s collecting dust. It has a nice bdc on it and thought I might be able to utilize that but not sure how to match it all up?
Thoughts?

Problem is not the states that have banned the Nitrofire, but the ones that will do so in the near future. Our state is a dumpster fire and it wouldn't surprise me if they ban it in the future. While it is definitely easier to use than a regular muzzleloader, using pelletized powder is super simple, go with the Accura and don't look back.

OP
TonySkyline
Exactly one of my biggest concerns about the nitrofire... the future legality of it and availability of parts and firesticks

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk