First nice pack questions

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at buying my first nice pack (last year I hunted one of the unlimited units for bighorn with a cheap pack and I will not make that mistake again!) I need a pack that I can store enough gear to last 7 days on sheep or mule deer hunts. Right know I am looking at going with the Kifaru bikini frame with the T1 bag. The only other option I have even considered is the Kuiu icon 7000 but it just doesn't seem to get the best reviews. I know that the T1 bag is big but I figure if I can always compress it down if I need. Does this seem like a good set up?

Also, what stays do you all recommend. My current pack was fitted for a 19 inch torso (what I was measured at).
I am 5' 11'' 175 pounds. Thanks for any help!

Love Kuiu clothing but would not own their pack. Kifaru is proven great over and over. Buy a T1 or High Camp with Bikini and be set for anything you can throw at it. Simply the best out there.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
The Kifaru your looking at should fit the bill and Kuiu Icon 7000 should perform just fine, but don't forget about the Stone Glacier packs, Mystery Ranch NICE 6500/7500, and Mystery Ranch Grizzly/Kodiak. A more affordable option might be the Eberlestock V90 Battleship. Since your looking at 7000 cubic inch packs, you should have no issue getting more than a 15 degree load lift. Every pack I listed should give 30 to 45 degree load lifts. However, I have no experience with Kuiu, Stone Glacier, or Kifaru, but Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock are both solid packs. Mystery Ranch will give you the unmatched durability, but come at a heavier price than the Eberlestock.

Whichever you decide on, try to get your hands on it before making the purchase. I know Mystery Ranch has a 60-Day Return Policy that allows you adequate time to get a feel for the pack. Just don't mess it up beyond resale value for them, otherwise you will be stuck with it.

Good Luck and Others will chime in and offer more advise worth listening too. Get the best pack that fits your body and your budget.

Personally, if I were buying my first I would get the Bikini with the big High Camp bag. It will offer you a bit more modularity while you figure your style out, and of course you save the weight as well....unless your style has a ton of pockets involved :)
Either way, the DT1 and Bikini bag will work great I'm sure. Definitely get the 26" stays.

tstowater

WKR
Wait till Bitterroot Bulls is done with his review. He seems to be a little more objective than this rabid bunch of Kifaru lovers. :)

KUIU will have the 2013 frame and harness on the new icons. Some poor review starting out but I think phase 3 will be right for sure. Personally I have been giving them time to work it out and I plan on getting one this summer.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
KUIU will have the 2013 frame and harness on the new icons. Some poor review starting out but I think phase 3 will be right for sure. Personally I have been giving them time to work it out and I plan on getting one this summer.

But they had over a year of r&d in the first gen ;)

OP
L

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I know that Kuiu is supposed to modify things a little this year, but I haven't heard anything in a while. I planned on going with the t1 bag because it seemed like you weren't really saving that much weight after you added a few pockets to the high camp bag. One of the things I really like about Kifaru is that they make everything so modular. That way if I decide I would like a different bag in the future I know it will still fit my bikini frame. Thanks for all the reply's

dotman

WKR
Wait till Bitterroot Bulls is done with his review. He seems to be a little more objective than this rabid bunch of Kifaru lovers. :)

What, who be this Kifaru company :). Kifaru might get a tad bit of love on the site but only cause it is the bomb :)

dotman

WKR
Although he can compare them, because he runs a Kuiu pack for his main pack.

Why would he compare his 2011 Kuiu to 2 new 2013 packs, wouldn't make sense. If he was going to do that it would be best to get the 2013 Kuiu.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure how this thread got here, but...

I do have an original 2011 Kuiu Icon 6000.

I DO like that pack, and it has performed pretty well.

The suspension is pretty comfortable for me, and similar in feel to the Stone Glacier. I know Kuiu has changed it since then, and don't have any experience with the newer frames.

The Icon 6000 is a much more featured bag than either the BT1 or Terminus (without the need for accessories), with a lot more organization, pockets, etc. The fabric is thinner, and doesn't seem like it would be as durable as the 500D used on the terminus and BT1. I have some concerns about the CF frame's long term durability. However, I have had quite a bit of field time with it, and it has held up fine for me. I know some people have had the CF frames break.

I don't currently have the Icon with me, as my hunting partner has taken a liking to it, and is considering taking it off my hands.

I still feel pretty much the same about it now as I did then:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?2793-Backpacking-Fishing-Gear-Testing-w-the-Kiddo

I actually think folks looking for a high end pack should still look at Kuiu as an option.

However, There is no doubt that I like both the SG Terminus and Kifaru BT1 BETTER than the Icon 6000. Others may have a different opinion.

OP
L

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I might have created some confusion about the bag based on one of the post above. I am looking at the Bikini frame with the Duplex timberline 1 bag attached to it. Sorry about the confusion by writting T1 instead of DT1.

Thanks for all the help. I will see what others write about the bikini frame and assuming all goes well that is what I will be ordering.

Jager

WKR
I recently bought a Kuiu Icon 5000 after a lot of research, which included picking the brains of a couple of Rokslide members who had experience with the first gen Icon. I went with the Icon as it suited my needs and expectations as an ultralightweight pack in all fields. I havn't had a chance yet to give it a good workout, although what I have found thus far, is the suspension and frame are very cimfortable. My main concern is the bag material, though to keep it ultralight they needed to go this way. The second gen models have double thickness on the bootom and front of pack that attaches to the frame. The fact it already has pockets built in means no added weight because extra pockets are needed. Pretty happy with it overall and I will be sure to post up some action shots when I have spent a bit of time with it in the hills.