First out of state hunt

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a CO 3rd season deer hunt (35). I'm not going in with any expectations other than enjoying the time hunting.

This will be my first time hunting out of my home state. For those who have hunted across state lines, what are some things/lessons you've learned in your experience that you might pass on for ones preparations?

Any recommendations for places to stay/eat in Eagle, CO?

Thanks

hobbes

WKR
If you are dieting or a health food nut, you may not need to read the following.

I've not eaten at everything in Eagle and haven't lived close by for nearly 9 years, but I'd recommend Grand Avenue Grill and Moe's BBQ. It's real smoked BBQ (unless someone else took over) and not some of this other stuff that some folks try to pass off for BBQ. Id go for the pulled pork, although where I'm from BBQ basically meant pork so I didn't have to specify that.

If you like real Mexican food, I'd recommend some of the tiny places and not the Tex Mex restaurants. I liked Taqueria in Avon and ate there about once a week. Asada tacos or the Asada burrito were my preference. If you aren't accustomed to it, don't add the hot stuff until you have tasted it without. :)

Last edited:
OP
gledeasy

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
No idea where you are from. If yer from Idaho it won't be much diff.

Coming from UT. I know hunting is same about everywhere. For some reason crossing state lines just feels different.

If you are dieting or a health food nut, you may not need to read the following.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them. Unfortunately, if you saw me you would know I'm not any health nut ha.

OP
gledeasy

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to CO (5-6 hours one way) for a quick trip to get an idea of the area. The last time I was planning to go I ended up not because I-70 was closed.

Hunt is still a month away. Guessing there could/will be a lot of deer movement between now and then?

Hope driving around for one day is enough to help solidify my plans.

Any special covid restrictions in the state I need to be aware of?

Pazzo's in Eagle has great calzones, sandwiches, and pizza. Nice folks too. Go check out the "Everything Store" aka the eagle pharmacy on the main street there. Used to be some great mounts (especially deer) there but it may have changed hands as the sporting goods section is a little less stuff than it used to have. Brush Creek saloon is ok. Moe's BBQ is great, as stated above. good luck on your hunt. Don't shoot the first medium sized buck you see!

OP
gledeasy

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
It may have been a quick trip, but I'm glad I went and did it. I'll have to save Moe's BBQ for another time as they close on Sundays. Did eat at Grand Avenue Grill and Casa something. Both pretty good. Saw one good buck but he was in city limits.

The storm kept us from venturing too far into the unit (was in a Chevy traverse). Just about every road I felt comfortable enough to drive in the vehicle we were stopped by no hunting, trespassing, etc. I was also surprised by the stated no blm access. OnX showed these roads going to public places that I wanted to check out. All government entities were closed so I couldn't enquire further while we were there this morning. I had assumed that drive through access would be permitted, but maybe not.

All in all I left feeling encouraged for next month. Would love to talk to someone who has hunted this unit. I know people, including myself, like to keep their places private on easier draw areas. Would like to bounce a few questions to see if I'm heading in a good direction. I hunt Fishlake a lot in Utah, deer and elk, and would be willing to trade info.