First Pack Thoughts: Kiowa 3200 or MR Sawtooth 45

Tribe

FNG
Just stumbled on this forum within the past few weeks as I've been looking into a new hunting pack. It has been a great resource for so many outdoor topics!

I'm looking at my first real pack, and am thinking either the SG Kiowa 3200 or the MR Sawtooth would both meet my needs well. I primarily hunt whitetail, and have never had to pack meat out as my style is typical for eastern hunting-field dress and drag to a pickup point for the truck. I do like the idea of having the option though. We also do a fair amount of hiking and camping-1-2 day trips with young boys. So I'm looking for a pack that will serve those needs. Both packs are great packs and have great organization. I'm sure either will work well, and are both great US companies. It seems as though the Sawtooth has a little more structure to it, and would be less sloppy and baggy when not stuffed with soft gear as compared to the Kiowa. Is that accurate? Or do the SG packs compress down nicely to remain quiet and sleek when hiking? I'm also wondering at what weight I'd want to add one of the SG frames to the Kiowa vs just starting with the Sawtooth, which already has the frame built in. Does anyone have any insight?

Welcome. Don’t know much about the SG Kiowa but SG has a lot of fans here.

I have a sawtooth and use it in an eastern area where dragging is not practical. I haul in stands and warm clothes and haul out quartered deer when I get lucky. So, It will certainly serve that purpose and more. As a camping bag, it is fine but a 45 liters can fill up fast unless you are an ultralight guy. 1-2 days would be very doable solo but longer trips or hauling gear for kids could overfill it. You can always strap gear to the outside our the load shelf.

MR is going to be a bit more $$$ and the frame and pack separate. You also have a load shelf and At some point you will be able to buy more packs for the MR frame and swap out the bags. The Kiowa is internal frame so it is not going to offer the bag swap option and no load shelf.

OP
T

Tribe

FNG
Thanks for the reply! Do you feel like the Sawtooth is cumbersome at all having the frame on full-time? I was thinking that a benefit of the Kiowa would be that I could run without the frame if I wasn't planning on hauling much weight, and then add one of the SG frames if I needed, which would also be compatible with some of their larger bags-in the event that, as you mentioned-I need more capacity. Then again, looking at pictures, which is all I have access to in SC, I appears as though the Sawtooth has been put together very nicely as a daypack with the capability of hauling built right in. I wish we had some places to handle these bags!

Also, if you don't mind, what stand are you hiking in with that you can strap onto the MR? and are you able to pack the whole deer out in 1 trip?

Last edited:

tommynealy

Lil-Rokslider
Sawtooth looks like an excellent pack for eastern whitetail. I like the load shelf for the option to strap on a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
Desk Jockey did a really good job explaining the Sawtooth.
I went with the Sawtooth and I am really happy with the purchase. It is not cumbersome for me archery hunting elk and no problem drawing my bow wearing the pack. It hauls very well with the new frame and 5 section belt. It's a quality pack and fits a good niche for the day or weekend hunter.
Based on what you wrote, the Sawtooth appears to check many of your boxes.
If you decide to get the Sawtooth, Black Orvis offers 10% off for Rokslide members.
If you want close up or specific pictures of the Sawtooth, I'd be happy to send some or post them here.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Three of us in our hunting group bought the Sawtooth 45 this year. We live in Florida but hunt Wyoming every year. I have never packed out as many animals before this year, 13 tags filled, antelope and mule deer. The bags performed better than I had expected and were comfortable when loaded down. We were just day hunting but I have enough gear if I have to spend the night out. I wouldn't hesitate to do a few nights with it. You also have the option to put extra gear in a dry bag and then put that in the meat shelf. I also use mine hiking and don't think it's too big or bulky. I haven't hauled a tree stand with it yet but plan on doing so soon. Most of my deer hunting down here is a short drag out, however I will probably quarter and carry just for ease. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

I used a Kuiu 1850 for 5 years prior to this and won't be switching back.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tribe

FNG
Thanks for the info everybody. I think I'll be getting the Sawtooth! It's nice to hear it does well packing out, and the possibility of increasing your capacity by using a dry bag on the load shelf is great. One of the other things I was hoping for was that with the frame, it would be more ergonomic/comfortable to wear for extended periods of time to prevent lower back discomfort I've noticed with my older pack. Or maybe I'm just getting old and this is life now. Haha!