First pack...

Chipz

FNG
Looking for my first pack for some backcountry hunts. Probably going to go used with Exo, Kifaru, or SG. I am wanting to use it dual purpose for a day pack, as well as have enough volume for 6-7 days. I am looking at some of the packs in the 3000-3500 cu in range. Are these too much for day packs or too little for longer hunts?

Buying an extra bag for one of the other is something I would entertain, but not ideal if I can kill two birds with one stone.

bsnedeker

WKR
Unless you are a minimalist and ultralight guy 3500 is good for 2 or 3 days for most people. All of those packs have load shelves so you can always put your food in a dry bag and load it up then drop the food when you get to camp.

If you want 7 days inside the bag you need to be over 5k in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
Most of those bags cinch down pretty well and allow you to remove the lid for shorter/day trips. I think the 5k range would suit you better.

MTElk1987

FNG
I used the SG 5900 for a day pack for two years and never felt that it was too much. I've also used the same bag on trips ranging from 2-8 days. I bought a SG 3300 last year and now use that as a day pack and throw the bigger bag on for anything overnight. I haven't used any of the other brands so I don't have any input regarding them.

Looking for my first pack for some backcountry hunts. Probably going to go used with Exo, Kifaru, or SG. I am wanting to use it dual purpose for a day pack, as well as have enough volume for 6-7 days. I am looking at some of the packs in the 3000-3500 cu in range. Are these too much for day packs or too little for longer hunts?

Buying an extra bag for one of the other is something I would entertain, but not ideal if I can kill two birds with one stone.
I've got the Exo 4800 and love it. Cinches down and can be used like a day pack like the guy above mentioned.

Had this same conversation with a friend yesterday... I would rather be overgunned for a day pack than undergunned for a multi-day pack.

I am not quite a minimalist but getting ever closer. My Exo 3500 for a weekend trip is just about full, however, I am not using the load shelf or extending the collar. I also just added two hipbelt pouches which will help some. I’m fairly certain I could add two more days of food. Anymore and I’d be going into the load shelf. Btw. This is for weather down to freezing. If I was expecting colder, I might need to store a parka in the load shelf.

If you’re new to this, chances are your gear is not going to be dialed down until you’ve made a few trips so ~5000 cu. in. is probably wise.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I went bigger, and am very happy I did. With my wife and kid coming on camping trip hikes with me now, I get to be the workhorse and having the Kifaru fulcrum makes it easy to be able to take a ton of gear in with me, drop camp and then we can take off in day mode. It’s also big enough to strap my 2 year old inside the pack in day mode. Let me clarify... she’s just loosely strapped in, not trapped inside! (y)

Bearsears

WKR
For your needs I agree most 3500's might be a little small. Look at the Seek Outside Brooks 7400 4.5lbs integrated frame and Saker 7400 4.75lbs. breakaway frame with loadshelf. These packs are really light as you can see and they have three different modes you can run them in. One mode make is 1200 ci the second mode is a 2400ci and lastly the whole 7400 ci. Its so versitile you would never need another pack even if you went on a 10 day sheep hunt in Alaska. If that seems too big, I run a Lanner 5400 and I can do 5 to 7 days out of it in cold weather relatively easy.

JMDavies

WKR
I went bigger, and am very happy I did. With my wife and kid coming on camping trip hikes with me now, I get to be the workhorse and having the Kifaru fulcrum makes it easy to be able to take a ton of gear in with me, drop camp and then we can take off in day mode. It’s also big enough to strap my 2 year old inside the pack in day mode. Let me clarify... she’s just loosely strapped in, not trapped inside! (y)
I also have the Kifaru Fulcrum and really like the versatility.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
For your needs I agree most 3500's might be a little small. Look at the Seek Outside Brooks 7400 4.5lbs integrated frame and Saker 7400 4.75lbs. breakaway frame with loadshelf. These packs are really light as you can see and they have three different modes you can run them in. One mode make is 1200 ci the second mode is a 2400ci and lastly the whole 7400 ci. Its so versitile you would never need another pack even if you went on a 10 day sheep hunt in Alaska. If that seems too big, I run a Lanner 5400 and I can do 5 to 7 days out of it in cold weather relatively easy.

+1 on this. If i were to do it again, I would have bought a Saker and that would have been it. Super versatile. As it is now i have 2 Seek Outside bags(Lanner & Broadwing) and am looking at gatting a Short Tail at some point.

The others are right though, a 5000ci pack would fit your needs better. Most will be fine in a day pack mode.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
My first back was an EXO 3500, and it was a great day pack and weekender pack. But that size can get cramped for a 4 day hunt let alone longer. I ended up upgrading to a Kifaru Fulcrum with all the bells and whistles. I can run it plane as a day pack all compressed down, or strap a native lid, 3 medium pockets and a spotter pocket if I needed more space than I'll ever need. Most of the high end packs will get you what you want.