First reaction…. 50” plus?

Curious what you all think? My initial response upon first good look was pass. But the more I looked the more I thought he makes 50 Mark. Would hate to talk myself into the wrong decision next fall.

Gotta be 50+. Not sure why having a hard time with this one.

OP
P
55" at least. (y)
Maybe it’s having the Hunter in the foreground that’s throwing my eye off. I went back and looked at it (just prior to my edit saying gotta be 50+) and that time it was a no brainer. I think the answer is count tines and if gut reaction is less than 50, don’t talk yourself into taking a shot… even if that is an over abundance of caution.

oenanthe

WKR
Typically the way these regulations are written it’s either 50 inches or three brow tines on one side.

Once you see the three brown tines on this bull, you know you’re good😉

I don't know about the Yukon, but in Alaska there are a lot of areas that require 4 brow tines (or 50"). And there are a lot of areas that only require 3. Always gotta' read that reg book carefully! :)

AKDoc

WKR
When in an antler restricted GMU, I've always been a brow-tine counter (which varies by unit)...and even that sometimes gets tricky. It's soooo much less stressful in an any bull GMU!

That said, I'd say he's over 50"...but when behind a rifle or bow and in doubt, just pass.

Generally speaking, all things being equal, fingers crossed...I count the distance between the eyes as 10", and if the length of the beam on each side prior to brow-tine palmation is equal to the distance between the eyes, then the probability of reaching the 50" goal is considerably higher....but, but, but...

Geez, I'm getting stressed just posting the above comment ABOUT judging 50"...and I've hunted moose in Alaska for over thirty-years!

("any bull GMU, any bull GMU....breathe....any bull GMU....")

OP
P
Typically the way these regulations are written it’s either 50 inches or three brow tines on one side.

Once you see the three brown tines on this bull, you know you’re good😉
Understood. Was just curious about width on this one. I’m certain he’s over 50. Just odd that I initially thought not.

Ill be in a 4 brow unit, btw.

mnydir

FNG
I can say after doing a hunt with two experienced guides this year it's a lot more difficult then I anticipated to figure out width. Especially on ones that are borderline. If it's not obviously huge, count brows.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
If I am wondering if its 49 or 50 I am passing or counting brow tines. The hard bulls to judge are the big crab claw brow tines, they can be impressive bulls even at 50ish inches, it's hard to pass on them but the first two trips to Alaska I had to pass and go home empty. Lol the 3rd time was an any bull unit which equates to a full freezer.

I'm questing the shot placement. 1 lung at best ???? I would never try that (again) on a deer, as I once hit the front shoulder, and never retrieved the deer.