First real pack

Gone4Days

WKR
Have there been others that have had the same issues with the kifaru that he had?
Does EXO now ship that updated lumbar pad or do they still use the one his came with? Have others had slippage if not?
How come Stone Glacier doesn’t seem to be mentioned as much?
You can now buy the more dense lumbar pad on Exo website. SG is a top tier brand but was recently bought by a large corporation

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Is that guys issues with the Kifaru and Exo very rare? If not the SG seems like the one. If so I’ll keep looking at all 3. EXO looks nice and simple. SG looks good. Kifaru looks bomb proof.

I've used EXO for years and they're great. Just got a Kifaru and really like it but haven't really put it to use yet. I haven't had one but SG has a great reputation and I doubt you could go wrong with any of them.

Just pick the size and features that you'll need and it'll be gtg for years. If you buy the wrong size and features you'll be frustrated regardless of brand.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
I was on the Kifaru train for the past month but now I’m digging the simplicity of the exo and SG.

They're all pretty simple, but you can make them as complex as you need. Everyone's needs are a little different and that's where the available accessories come into play. Buy what you need and don't buy what you don't need.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Think I’ll get the stone glacier. Jut the frame and pack for now.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Watched a multi pack review where the reviewer chose the Kuiu pack as his favorite. Raves about it.

Gone4Days

WKR
Watched a multi pack review where the reviewer chose the Kuiu pack as his favorite. Raves about it.
Some people like the new Kuiu packs.. The older ones weren’t great. The knock on Kuiu is they are made in China.

fatlander

WKR
Is that guys issues with the Kifaru and Exo very rare? If not the SG seems like the one. If so I’ll keep looking at all 3. EXO looks nice and simple. SG looks good. Kifaru looks bomb proof.

Kifaru is undoubtedly the most robust. That comes with a weight penalty.

SG is the lightest and simplest bag design of the 3 and it’s apparent when they’re all side by side. I’m not saying the SG is cheaply built, it’s just made from lighter materials.

Exo is a good middle of the road.

SG won the comfort contest for me. That’s what I’ve currently got. SG was just sold to larger company, however they have indicated that their production will remain in Bozeman. I wouldn’t be concerned in the least bit about the change.

Everyone is different. They’re all fantastic packs and I’d be happy with any of them. The SG just fits me best. The only way you’re going to know is to try all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
No way to try any of them by me. I’ll just have to buy one.

Sherman

WKR
What state do you live in? If you live in Colorado you can go to Scheels and try on the SG, MR, and Sitka packs then head over to Kifaru and check out their entire line and get fitted.

I always plan for the worst case scenario. I was in a situation similar to yours a while back. I went with Kifaru because they are made in the USA and reviews for bigger guys’ fit. I got the Ma Deuce. The main compartment cinches down nicely and I use the side pockets and lid for day pack. I even use it to haul duck decoys at the river along with my multi day pack-in hunts.

fatlander

WKR
Can’t afford that lol.

It’s going to be a crap shoot then.

You can make a post on here and try to find guys that live near you that would let you try them on.

fatlander

WKR
The other option would be to just buy a frame from all three. It would be significantly cheaper than buying the bags as well.

Put 50 pounds on each and see what’s the most comfortable. Return the two that aren’t and buy a bag for the frame you keep.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
I love the idea of Kifaru being bomb proof but if it’s at a huge weight penalty I’d pass. If it’s a pound then that’s fine.

One thing I should mention and one I should reiterate is occasionally if I work hard my lower back gives me trouble so the better weight carriage would be helpful.
The other is that I’m not a big guy. 5’10” 160lbs. If that matters.