First real pack

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
So as I’ve said in another thread and as my name suggests, I’m a hunting/camping newbie. I have some friends and acquaintances and this site to educate me and come along on trips.

I’m looking to purchase a quality pack system for all things. Paddle trips, day hunts, multi day camps and hunts.

Locally I just need it for the stand or local field to the car but I’ve been jumping at every out of state lottery that pops up so I’d want the pack to handle a few days as well. Whether it’s a hunt out of state or a camp and paddle trip (doing that this July).

I’ve focused on Kifaru. Their suggestion was a lite frame, Stryker XL, and a camp bag. Stuff in the camp bag can be left at camp and essentials can be carried on me, plus there’s a meat shelf in it.

They said it’d be perfect for day hunts but the camp bag increases the overnight stuff. Plus I can add a large pouch on the back of the XL.

I’m wondering if that’s be enough or if ppl here think it’s smarter to go bigger right from the get go. Like a 44 mag or Reckoning etc.

Kifaru did mention if I know the trip is long I can just order a larger pack only and then I’d have more options but that’s $$$

Thoughts?

pk_

WKR
I am not mr super backpacker… but IME a large bag used as a day bag is pretty freaking annoying. If there will be very minimal times this would be necessary I wouldn’t worry much about it. But if it’s going to be a regular thing, I would want a dedicated day bag even if I waited a year or two to purchase after buying the larger pack… or if the day bag doesn’t need to haul meat perhaps you could get away with a ‘cheaper’ bag for day hunts…

Also, I find it easier to have different packs for different purposes that stay pretty much stocked for that use…

Just some random thoughts.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
I do like the more dedicated approach as you state. I think that’s what kifaru is saying too. Get the smaller pack for day maybe overnight.
If you know multi day events will happen, buy a 2nd bag, a larger one and use the same frame for both bags.
Plus the camp bag can be used for stuff that just gets dropped off in your tent. Lw inexpensive bag you can throw clothes etc in and take it off when camp is set up.
Maybe I’ll stick with the Stryker xl then.

Gone4Days

WKR
I can’t speak for Kifaru, but my Exo K3 4800 cinches down to make a great day pack but can also be used for a 3-5 day backpacking hunt. It’s the only pack I use for all types of hunts.

Last edited:
For your purpose the EXO K3 3200 might be even better. I’m waffling between the 4800 and 3200 myself. I’ll likely go with the 4800 for now specifically because I have a 10 day trip planned for this summer. Otherwise I’d prefer the 3200 for up to 7 days. Keep in mind I carry a minimal amount of stuff.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda cool with the exo you just order the bag and it comes with the frame. Instead ordering multiple pieces.

I’m pretty stupid when it comes to straps and such. I always get confused when there’s a lot of straps and adjustments to be made.

I’m a skinny wimp so good load bearing is a plus.

Gone4Days

WKR
Kinda cool with the exo you just order the bag and it comes with the frame. Instead ordering multiple pieces.

I’m pretty stupid when it comes to straps and such. I always get confused when there’s a lot of straps and adjustments to be made.

I’m a skinny wimp so good load bearing is a plus.
If you want to keep it simple, Kifaru may not fit your bill. One complaint some people have about Kifaru bags is that they can be complicated. Great gear, but not the simplest to use and configure. They have been described in many reviews as “strappy” with too much molle webbing. I’ve never owned one but have friends who own them.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Is it suggested to add any pockets etc to the 4800? Or gtg as is?

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Are either of them constructed better or better at carrying weight? Do either of them have a better layout for organized filling? To be fair I guess the k3 4800 vs 44 mag

Gone4Days

WKR
There are lots of threads on here comparing the two brands. Lots of Youtube videos as well. Can’t go wrong with either as far as quality. It just comes down to personal preference. Fellow Rokslider made this really good video.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Had to stop at 4:30 cuz I’m headed out the door. I’ll come back to it. He chose SG but says all three are so close. I’ll see why soon. M
I actually watched the first video a month ago.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
@Jordan Budd did a great review on pack sizing not necessarily brand specific it’s on rokcast. If you don’t have time to listen it boils down to you’ll never regret going bigger. My buddies use EXO, I had a stone glacier that my son uses now and Kifaru Fulcrum for myself. All of them Compress down nice and tight. It’s going to come down to which one fits you the best, and how heavy a load are you carrying.

TheTone

WKR
Is it suggested to add any pockets etc to the 4800? Or gtg as is?
I ordered one of the internal stash pockets and hip belt pocket with my 4800. I may add a crib load sling at some point as well. The exo just checked the most boxes for me when I was buyin. Didn’t pack any meat with it last fall but I really liked it for all the day hunts I did. Size wise I could have went smaller but it cinches down really well and I liked the horseshoe access

I’m getting all of the extra doodads with mine. If I wasn’t upgrading some other stuff I would probably order a 3200 bag along with the 4800 system. Maybe even add a 6400 just for good measure (I’ll see how the 4800 works on a long trip). Maybe next year.

2ski

WKR
I would suggest you get the bigger bag with a guide lid. Use the guide lid as the day pack component. You can keep the bag cinched up tight. I do that and it's not annoying to me. If I had the big bag as the compartment that held my day pack items, it would get annoying.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Have there been others that have had the same issues with the kifaru that he had?
Does EXO now ship that updated lumbar pad or do they still use the one his came with? Have others had slippage if not?
How come Stone Glacier doesn’t seem to be mentioned as much?

pk_

WKR
I do like the more dedicated approach as you state. I think that’s what kifaru is saying too. Get the smaller pack for day maybe overnight.
If you know multi day events will happen, buy a 2nd bag, a larger one and use the same frame for both bags.
Plus the camp bag can be used for stuff that just gets dropped off in your tent. Lw inexpensive bag you can throw clothes etc in and take it off when camp is set up.
Maybe I’ll stick with the Stryker xl then.
Shoot I just re-read your post and my first reply was pretty poor. When I said large bag, my large bag is 7800ci

I have another bag in the 3200 range and it is absolutely fine as a day pack. Or something bigger if it can be broken down as a system like others said…

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those 3 companies.