First Rifle Build

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It is interesting on how many of these posts turn into a caliber debate.

It generally does because most people don’t have experience shooting 600 yards, and have no rifle to practice with enough to become proficient at 600 yards, but already know what they want for shooting and killing elk at 600 yards. However, my response was not a caliber debate. It was a response to your desires of shooting an elk at 600 yards with a build list and questions that pointed to a possible redirect to accomplish the stated goal much more positively.

Regardless, have fun with the project.

HGL

FNG
That is slick. Who’s stock?
[/QUOTE]

Stocky Stocks "Euro Stock". Pretty decent "field grade" wood stock. It has an aluminum bedding block, seems to be plenty accurate so far. Had to open it up a tad for the barrel, it came inletted for a Rem sporter.

IMG_2174.jpgIMG_2341.JPG

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
It generally does because most people don’t have experience shooting 600 yards, and have no rifle to practice with enough to become proficient at 600 yards, but already know what they want for shooting and killing elk at 600 yards. However, my response was not a caliber debate. It was a response to your desires of shooting an elk at 600 yards with a build list and questions that pointed to a possible redirect to accomplish the stated goal much more positively.

Regardless, have fun with the project.

Have you used the axial precision stock? Im looking into those and it definitely has my attention. That and AG composites.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have you used the axial precision stock? Im looking into those and it definitely has my attention. That and AG composites.

Yes sir. It and the Gunwerks Clymr are better designed for this type of use than most others.

LaHunter

WKR
I like the 7 rem mag. That has been my hunting rifle cartridge for over 2 decades. I would think twice about going with a buggy whip contour barrel. The recoil of a 7 mag is legit and it can be not fun to shoot at the range with a light rifle. You may find yourself wishing you went with a little heavier barrel. You stated you didn't want a 10 lb rifle, but there isn't anything wrong with a 10 lb magnum rifle. Being proficient at 600 yards under field conditions in mountain terrain, with a light wt magnum rifle takes a pretty good skill set that comes from lots of practice.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
Ok so there were a few changes but I think for a hunting setup the is going to be pretty awesome. So here ya go.

Caliber: 7mm WSM (cause its different + a 6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC build on the same action in the future would be fun)
Action: Bighorn Origin SA
Barrel: McGowen 22" sporter with their brake
Stock: Axial Precision
Trigger: TBD, probably a TriggerTech
Optics: Vortex 3-15x42 Razor LHT w/ Vortex Rings

Bullets I intended on trying: 162gr ELDX and 168 ABLR

My current 300 WSM Ridgeline weighs 8.3 lbs so we will see what this one comes in at.