First Rifle Bull Elk in Colorado GMU 66

I was able to draw my First Rifle | Bull Elk tag for unit 66 with 1 point. I'm starting to research the unit and am planning to head into Uncompaghre NF this weekend.

This is my first big game hunt and I will be backpacking in with a hunting partner. We're looking to get away from the ATVs and some of the Wilderness Areas in the unit look promising.

Has anyone had any experience in this unit that they'd be willing to share? I plan to head down there numerous times over summer/fall if anyone if around those parts.

Thanks everyone!

OP
Durangoadam
I plan to be in the unit a day early through the end of the season so that we can find something special. We're willing to work for it!

Jbehredt

WKR
Adam probably doesn’t remember many details from his 2015 season. He hasn’t been around since asking for this handout. This old thread is why we don’t openly talk specifics. People searching “Colorado gmu 66” 4 years after the fact get drawn to those threads.

GregB

WKR
Just here to get some info, not to participate or contribute. And then you don't understand why people don't like the "hey it's my first time elk hunting where should I go" posts.