First Rifle for Western Hunting- what would you do?

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
I know this topic has been covered but I'm gonna add another one for my specific situation. I've hunted whitetail most of my life but starting to do more hunting out west. For whitetail I've been using an old .280 single shot, which I know will get the job done for elk but I'm looking for something that is more efficient with follow up shots and a little lighter (the 280 package is about 10lbs).

I've been thinking about building out a 30-06 tikka for a do-all hunting rifle.

If you had $2k (with most of that budget going towards a new scope) what would you do? Build something new or look for a good used deal since I'm in no rush?

xsn10s

WKR
Tikka's magbox is 3.4" correct? If you reload that limits your ability to seat out longer bullets. I have the same issue with my commercial 98 Mauser. But it might be fine for a 7mm Rem Mag. Or a 284 Win. I own a 30-06 in a pushfeed Model 70 FWT that I love. But some areas out here in the west might call for a 600-700 yard shot. A 7mm Rem Mag or 284 Win with a 180 gr would be nice for those shots.

Same as others said. Tikka T3x in 30-06 or something a little flatter shooting. Talley rings and a scope in the 4-16 x 40mm range with zero stop. I like 7mm Rem ballistics but it’s a no go as I’ll not buy a belted cartridge.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I think you already have the right answer, never owned a Tikka but have heard good things about them, 30-06 and good glass will be all you’ll need. Good luck 🍀

xsn10s

WKR
If stuck on a 30 cal I think a 300 WSM would probably be a better choice than a 30-06 in a Tikka. The shorter magbox would work better with a 300 WSM. However since you already have a 280 Rem you could get a Tikka in 280 Rem. It'll be great for 160gr class bullets. depending on your altitude it might shoot 175 gr. I believe the twist is 1-9.5 on the Tikka 7mm's. A 30-06 is fine, it just won't shoot as flat as a 7mm.

xsn10s

WKR
I missed the part on willing to get a used rig. It depends if you already have a good set of binos and and rangefinder. I'd say a good used rifle, maybe a good higher end Bushnell used or Nightforce SHV, and a decent set of binos could be had for around 2K. Rifles can be improved by after market triggers, stocks, and such over time. But glass is pretty much what you have. I'd set better glass as a priority.

kickemall

WKR
Yes, this ^^^ is the way. Specifically I would go Tikka in 30-06 or 7RM, Hawkins Precision rings, Zeiss v4 4-16x44. Upgrade the stock later, when budget allows.
This gun and scope but in 6.5 creedmoor or if you have to have larger then .300WSM.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I wish Tikka chambered rifles in 280 AI, but they don’t yet. I went with the 280AI in a Savage Ultralight, and I’m really happy with it. If you don’t handload, I’d go with the Tikka in either 7mm RM or 30.06. Not real fancy, but will just be dependable as heck and kill anything in North America.

jimh406

WKR
What does hunting out West mean to you? Do you want an Antelope, Mule Deer, and Elk rifle? A lightweight rifle for the mountains or what?

OP
T

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
What does hunting out West mean to you? Do you want an Antelope, Mule Deer, and Elk rifle? A lightweight rifle for the mountains or what?
Yep, all of the above. Maybe sheep as well. Really just looking for a great do it all gun rather than buying multiple rifles for different situations.