First Rifle for Western Hunting- what would you do?

xsn10s

WKR
You're right. It was 92. Good history here. I still think if memory serves me right, they were only released in limited runs for the first couple years prior to 94, but those were my college years and I drank a lot of beer!

I seem to recall limited runs also. And limited cartridges too. but I suffer from the same memory loss. Beer was plentifull back in those days lol.

I like claw extractor type rifles. I have Mausers so I'm a fan. I'm a fan of the pushfeeds too. Their beauty lies in the barrel not needing a extractor cut out. I have one and when the barrel needs replacing I'll order a short chambered barrel and finish ream it myself. When it comes to Winchesters it's pretty esoteric. I try to stick with New Haven when I can.

Claw extractors all the way. Mauser actions are by far the most dependable. I won't own anything but. Seen too much "unfortunate" stuff happen with push feeds, over the past several decades.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Here is my favorite rifle of all time when it comes to what people consider prototypical “western” hunting. Its an M700 mountain rifle in 280 (22 inch light contour barrel) that I restocked with a McMillan KS stock. It wears a Leupold 6x36. Yep, a fixed 6x. Its handy, light, and can hit vitals out to the farthest ranges that I have any business shooting at game (around 400 yards with a good rest).

View attachment 408391
I had a stainless KS .280 and like a fool I sold it. That’s one I’d like to have back!

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
You're right. It was 92. Good history here. I still think if memory serves me right, they were only released in limited runs for the first couple years prior to 94, but those were my college years and I drank a lot of beer!

I also bought my first big game rifle in 94 while in college. M70 Classic DBM 30-06. I HAD to have the CRF! Still got it too!

Jimss

WKR
I use and abuse my 300 WSM in Sako Finnlight. It's relatively light weight and hardly kicks for a 30 cal. I have great results with 1 shot kills on antelope, whitetails, muledeer, elk, sheep, mtn goat, and bear. I was seriously looking at Tikka or Sako and chose the Sako because I really liked how well it was made and felt in my hands.

I know this topic has been covered but I'm gonna add another one for my specific situation. I've hunted whitetail most of my life but starting to do more hunting out west. For whitetail I've been using an old .280 single shot, which I know will get the job done for elk but I'm looking for something that is more efficient with follow up shots and a little lighter (the 280 package is about 10lbs).

I've been thinking about building out a 30-06 tikka for a do-all hunting rifle.

If you had $2k (with most of that budget going towards a new scope) what would you do? Build something new or look for a good used deal since I'm in no rush?
After reading your post- I'd do exactly that. Tikka in 30-06 with a good optic and you can do a lot with that one gun. If I went back and could only own one rifle (I'm a bowhunter with a gun fetish... I buy rifles so I can shoot them at the range and then I just bowhunt...) it would be a Tikka t3 stainless in 30-06 with a turret capable Leupold in the 3-9 or 3-15 range. One gun to do everything from prairie dog, to deer to elk with. Good to distances most of us shouldn't really shoot, not terrible on recoil, not terrible on the pocket to shoot.

Grandpas cartridge is still a perfectly viable critter getter.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Kimber 84L stainless in 3006 the last couple of years. First with s VX3i 2.5-8x now a vx3 3.5-12 both by Leupold.
Only complaint was not getting it in 280ai.
Recoil with the 180 grain fodder it consumes can be stout.

7RM Tikka T3X stainless, awesome availability on ammo. I’d put a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 on there with some Talley rings. I’d take that gun on any hunt here in BC, sheep to moose and everything in between. I’d be extremely confident to take game close and far.

I wish someone sat me down and told me that. I’ve wasted too much money looking for something that was so simple.

7RM Tikka T3X stainless, awesome availability on ammo. I’d put a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 on there with some Talley rings. I’d take that gun on any hunt here in BC, sheep to moose and everything in between. I’d be extremely confident to take game close and far.

I wish someone sat me down and told me that. I’ve wasted too much money looking for something that was so simple.
That's a pretty dang solid setup.... and I think my next one too, only with a Leupy

Tough rifle to beat

505Wapiti

WKR
I can’t believe no one has steered the OP to something chambered in the ever popular vehemently loved and hated by the masses 6.5 manbunkillsmorethanyoudo.

yfarm

WKR
Use a Cooper M92 in 280AI, am a lefty so it narrows your choices.
Very happy with the rifle, son shoots a Weatherby Backcountry in 280AI, also shoots well just not quite the quality of the Cooper. Has a 270 Barrett Fieldcraft plans to rebarrel to 280AI as it fits him better than the Weatherby.
All but 2 of our Elk, Oryx,Ibex,Nilgai,Axis,Aoudad, Whitetail and Mulie kills have been single shot. Shoot the gun you are used to, 280 is a great round. We use Barnes factory ammo.