First Rifle Makeover

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
So I thought this might be a fun one! Currently a laid off pipeliner, that has run out of projects around the house. When boredom set in, I started rummaging through the gun safe organizing, cleaning, selling stuff that doesn’t get used anymore. I came across my neglected old Remington 700 .270 win my old man bought me as a first rifle when I started hunting. While this rifle has seen many memories and has put down many animals. I haven’t given it much thought or use in the last 10 or so years. So, I decided to give it a little makeover, new barrel, stock, scope. The works. Normally I’d just buy a new action and start from scratch, but given the sentimental factor and the neglect, I think I’ll get this action trued and go from there.

Lol I’m sure nobody but me cares, but I’m going to update y’all anyway. thinking maybe just sticking with .270, but any caliber suggestions are appreciated. I will post updates as I go, until my wife decides she wants more done around the house. 🤣

Attachments

• 911CAC9A-10ED-4C02-8D1B-BA6029A0C166.jpeg
    911CAC9A-10ED-4C02-8D1B-BA6029A0C166.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 61

ChrisAU

WKR
I like it. I too got out my first rifle, a Savage 270, and spruced it up a bit last year. Boyd's Maple stock, Meopta scope, nothing too special. Ol gal deserved a little love ha.

N2TRKYS

WKR
My Dad gave me a 270 Win as my first rifle, as well. Short of it being broken, there’s no way I would ever change it up from the way it was when he gave it to me.

Good luck with your new build. Keep us posted.

Good thread - and good luck with your project. And yes keep us posted. If you do rebarrel why not just stay with a .270? With how hard it is to find ammo these days might as well stick with one you might actual be able to find. My only other thought might be go .280??

I sort if did this a few year back with my first "real" rifle I paid for myself. In 1992 I bought a new KS Mtn rifle in .280, hunted with it for about 10 years and put it in the safe. A few years back I decided to do sort of what you are planning on. Only mine was mainly just to make it prettier:) Had it Cerakoted, bolt fluted and the stock repainted so it now looks good as new (y)

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
I like it. I too got out my first rifle, a Savage 270, and spruced it up a bit last year. Boyd's Maple stock, Meopta scope, nothing too special. Ol gal deserved a little love ha.
Pics please. Lol I was thinking the same thing. This rifle has been good to me, and only had a $280 ish price tag 18 years ago. When I pulled it out it has collected a lot of surface rust, so it’s time to put some love back into it.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
My Dad gave me a 270 Win as my first rifle, as well. Short of it being broken, there’s no way I would ever change it up from the way it was when he gave it to me.

Good luck with your new build. Keep us posted.
I think that’s what I’m going to do. I may not even rebarrel. After I give it a good cleaning and inspect the barrel to make sure it hasn’t started putting or rusting inside. Play that by year. Might just get it recoated.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread - and good luck with your project. And yes keep us posted. If you do rebarrel why not just stay with a .270? With how hard it is to find ammo these days might as well stick with one you might actual be able to find. My only other thought might be go .280??

I sort if did this a few year back with my first "real" rifle I paid for myself. In 1992 I bought a new KS Mtn rifle in .280, hunted with it for about 10 years and put it in the safe. A few years back I decided to do sort of what you are planning on. Only mine was mainly just to make it prettier:) Had it Cerakoted, bolt fluted and the stock repainted so it now looks good as new (y)
Thinking about keeping it as .270 even if I do have to rebarrel. Today I’m cleaning and will inspect the bore for putting. I think I’ll send the bolt off to get fluted. This will be to make it prettier, but mostly to get it back in fighting shape. Haven’t thought much on which barrel I’d even go with yet if it comes to it. Maybe CF maybe just a good bartlein.

If you do decide to flute the bolt you might consider sending it to Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Customs. Karl does the nicest work IMHO. Great guy and quick turnaround time on his work. He is located in N. Idaho.

B23

WKR
Since you have a long action and IF you're interested in a caliber swap when/if you rebarrel a VERY easy cartridge to load for, has Lapua brass, and tons of load info available is 6.5-284. My 6.5-284 is built on a Rem 700 long action Shilen 8tw 26in barrel. I had Defensive Edge do their +P throat design to it and I'm shooting 140 Bergers a little over 3200 w/RL26.
6.5-284 +P.jpg

ChrisAU

WKR
Pics please. Lol I was thinking the same thing. This rifle has been good to me, and only had a $280 ish price tag 18 years ago. When I pulled it out it has collected a lot of surface rust, so it’s time to put some love back into it.

She looks much classier than the $200 or so I paid for it in 2009. First rifle I ever bought, was a junior at Auburn and happened to see what had to be a misprint in the Academy weekly ad on a Sunday morning. Got there and the ones in the store had been corrected but the manager agreed to honor the one I had. Paid $159 for the rifle, $20 for a Simmons scope, and $15 for rings IIRC.

4321F1B8-DF32-4AA3-ABE0-D12E3085218B.jpeg

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Since you have a long action and IF you're interested in a caliber swap when/if you rebarrel a VERY easy cartridge to load for, has Lapua brass, and tons of load info available is 6.5-284. My 6.5-284 is built on a Rem 700 long action Shilen 8tw 26in barrel. I had Defensive Edge do their +P throat design to it and I'm shooting 140 Bergers a little over 3200 w/RL26.
View attachment 260172
That’s a good looking setup. I think I’m going to stick with .270 just incase I need to grab some factory off the shelf ammo.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
She looks much classier than the $200 or so I paid for it in 2009. First rifle I ever bought, was a junior at Auburn and happened to see what had to be a misprint in the Academy weekly ad on a Sunday morning. Got there and the ones in the store had been corrected but the manager agreed to honor the one I had. Paid $159 for the rifle, $20 for a Simmons scope, and $15 for rings IIRC.

View attachment 260179
Hell of a deal. That’s a good looking rifle.

Since your dad bought it as your first rifle I’d keep it as a 270. I bet it cleans up just fine. If not I’d have it coated . I’d drop it into a nice stock whatever your preference and go hunt with it. Also I’d tune the factory trigger. Definitely some new rings also.😃

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Since your dad bought it as your first rifle I’d keep it as a 270. I bet it cleans up just fine. If not I’d have it coated . I’d drop it into a nice stock whatever your preference and go hunt with it. Also I’d tune the factory trigger. Definitely some new rings also.😃
That’s the plan. I think I’m going to keep this one simple. I got it cleaned up pretty good. Cerakote, new agc privateer stock and some good glass. And few few little cosmetics for the hell of it.

View attachment 260179
Looks fantastic

Thanks for sharing ideas y'all.

I suspect that by the time my son is ready to hunt elk, his grandfather's Browning .270 will be available. Would love to give him a gun with some family history but spruce it up a bit.