First rifle purchase - Left Handed

Hey all. Looking to purchase my first rifle. I’m left handed, left eye dominant. Having trouble finding a left handed 300 win mag. My question is, do I really need a left handed rifle or can I get one that’s right handed?

Thanks

Michael54

WKR
Did you call your local gunshop and ask them how long it would take to get one in?

I’ve got two trips to Alaska for moose
When?

The rifle linked above is a reasonable choice. A smaller cartridge can also work well and will be lower recoil, ie easier to put accurate rounds on target with.

There's endless debates here about the adequacy of certain rounds. I'm in the smaller, slower, frangible bullets are better camp.

On this forum, I know vof one person who took a moose With a 223. Another uses a 375 h&h. Anything in between will work. Bullet performance matters the most.

I also am a lefty left eye dominate been shooting right handed rifles most of my life, I do have 2 left handed rifles also. (as the finacial situation improved I was able to splurge a bit) One thing to remeber is your going to pay more for the same rifle in left hand. And for a first rifle I would go with a 30-06 even for, bullwinkle practice shooting and good shot placement.

do I really need a left handed rifle or can I get one that’s right handed?
It will be a little easier/faster to work the action (and possibly the safety depending on the design) if the gun is matched to your "handedness," but it's realIy not much more difficult to operate a right-handed gun in a left-handed manner. I'm also a lefty but have mostly shot right-handed guns throughout my life. I do have one left-handed gun (Browning A-Bolt) but can operate right-handed guns just fine.

Unckebob

WKR
I am left eye dominant and right handed, I found it not problem to shoot accurately left handed. But,

1) I would not like to shoot it left handed in a right handed bolt action.
2) I would not buy a 300WM for my first rifle. Recoil Bad.
3) The 270 and '06 have killed who knows how many Moose over the last 100 years. Get one of those.

See Recoil Chart: https://backfire.tv/recoil/

Last edited:

Deywalker

FNG
I would get a left handed rifle, but not a 300 win mag. Starting out with a big magnum is only going to hinder your growth as a shooter. I'd personally look at something like a Tikka in 6.5 creed, 7mm-08 or 308 win