First rifle: Tikka T3x CTR vs Lite (6.5CM)

dec0y

FNG
I've been a bowhunter in the PNW for the last decade or so, which a focus on wilderness/backpacking style hunting.

I've recently got the bug to start shooting a rifle with the intent of eventually hunting with it.

I am a good shooter with my bow (both trad and compound) and I have a training mindset (put quality shots downrange as often as possible). I also do not have any desire to shoot heavy loads over long distances on game. So I am happy to limit my shots to short distances on animals, for now. So I've pretty much settled on a 6.5CM cartridge, unless someone else can convince me otherwise.

My dilemma is this--because it is my first rifle, I understand the importance of shooting it as often as possible. Since I have no points established in my home state for rifle hunts, it's unlikely that I'll have an opportunity to hunt in the next year (unless I got rifle OTC tag, which I hear is madness in terms of hunting pressure). I'd likely take my archery tag for deer/elk as I have done in the past, in 2021.

I have the opportunity to pick up a new 24" T3x CTR SS (apparently they made a limited run of 24" barrels), or I could get a T3x Lite SS.

The lite seems like the better mountain rifle (I would eventually replace the stock, but probably not immediately), but the CTR seems like the better range rifle for establishing good fundamentals.

I don't necessarily desire to have separate range and hunting rifles, as I believe you should practice which what you intend to use in the field, but the cooldown on the lite barrels is giving me a little pause. If I have to wait 5 minutes between each 3 shot group then this is going to take me a longer time to get proficient with the rifle.

But the CTR is 2# heavier, providing more consistency on target, but far more weight when carried over long distances.

I've already a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 (price too good, couldn't pass), so I don't need to save the money for optics.

What would you recommend for a new shooter? Does it make sense to try to dual purpose this rifle as a range/hunting rifle? Would it make more sense to spend more money on a single rifle that is lighter, but performs better at the range? Am I splitting hairs?

EDIT: I am not beholden to either of these models. I'm open to any reasonable suggestions for a first rifle. Also, I am in my 30's--I did not grow up shooting rifles, but I have been shooting bows since I could walk.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
I think it comes down to how much you will be hunting and packing it. More range time with the occasional hunt CTR, really packing with weight concerns a regular Tikka.

I have one of the 6.5CM 24” CTRs and it is the best shooting rifle I have ever had. I am content with the factory CTR stock where with the regular lite I would have upgraded stocks by now. I have a brake on my CTR and my kids enjoy shooting it. I would be lying though if I said I wouldn’t like a Superlite to go along with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d personally get a lite. Iv got both, none any longer in their stock form though. I don’t feel recoil is much of an issue with either. They have the exact same stock and I have zero need for a 10 round mag on a hunting rifle.

You will not need to wait 5 minutes between 3 shot groups with a T3 lite. That's another benefit of a moderately sized cartridge like the creedmoor. Get a barrel cooler if you're really worried about it. Getting your barrel a little warm wont kill it.

The CTR would definitely be more enjoyable to shoot but a lite with a limbsaver pad wont be too bad..

Maybe you could get lucky and find a t3 lite factory take off barrel from someone who built a custom and you could just swap to a lighter barrel for hunting season.. Hell, I bet you could find a lite takeoff stock and bottom metal and a barrel for around $200 if you try hard enough. I have a 300 wm superlite takeoff barrel that has been collecting dust..

JiminAZ

FNG
Been lurking here for a year or so, finally decided to join because I can contribute on this one.

First you will find a lot of your archery skills will be directly transferrable to rifles. Steady setup and hold, breathing, not disturbing things on the release..... With a little coaching you will make the transition easily.

In 6.5 CM, I own both the CTR with 24" stainless heavy barrel, and the T3X (blued barrel, not a lightweight). They both shoot close to 1/2 MOA with factory Hornady 143 ELDX and frankly I've seen no reason to go further with reloading or load development. Honestly, recoil is nil on both guns.

With the 6.5 T3X we have shot 2 Mule deer and one cow elk using the 143 ELDX.

I have dope on both rifles out to 850 yd. Both have 24" barrels. The CTR has a noticeably slower barrel than the T3X. I have run the T3X pretty hot with no noted heat drift on the barrel (by pretty hot I mean maybe 6 shots in 2 minutes, look through spotting scope and discuss for a few minutes, then get back to shooting.

I run a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15 x 44 CDS with the MOA windplex reticle. Have a bubble level. Dial for elevation, hold for wind. I'm very happy with this particular scope for both hunting and bench work. It's lightweight and the HD optics are noticeably great and if you shop around you can find it for under a grand. I have not committed to the CDS dial yet - just use a ballistic table taped to my stock to dial distance. Zero'd at 200 I'm good to 275 or so without much thought.

The stock is ugly but honestly, it works fine in the field.

So I'd say get the T3x and don't look back. The CTR is a fun gun but I'm not sure I'll ever use it in the field.

I own 5 Tikkas - 243, the pair of 6.5's, a 308, and the 7 Rem Mag. All are 1/2 MOA guns with the right load. All are sub MOA guns with decent factory ammo. None have walked at all when the barrels heated up. All have "S" type Harris bipods (they allow cant adjustments via a friction mechanism).

I also have higher end guns - Coopers and customs and such. Yeah the higher end guns have certain features, but honestly, the Tikkas run right with the high end guns for like $600. Save your money for good glass.

Oh yeah my 6.5 and 7mm T3's have yo Dave springs in them. The 243 didn't need it, nor did the 308. I will likely put one in the CTR.

As a side note I'd add that I like that scope so much that I have bought two more. One is on the 7 mm RM T3X (which dropped a bull elk back in November), and the last one will likely go on the CTR. Having consistent optics just makes my shooting experience more enjoyable as I don't have to recall how this or that particular reticle works, etc.

Last edited:

JiminAZ

FNG
Forgot to add - I put a Bell and Carlson stock on the 308. It is an improvement but I don't feel the need to do it on any of my other Tikkas. I will likely do a rattle can camo or even pay someone to cerakote camo the others someday.

I own both. A lite in 6.5 creed stainless and a CTR in 308. Setting aside the caliber difference (I prefer the creed) if I had to pick one to keep, I would take the lite everyday and twice on Sunday.

2# is a lot to haul around the woods. Especially something that is going to spend time in your hands.

unless you put a lot of lead down the barrel, I doubt you will see any difference in shootability. It would take a few quick rounds to heat up the barrel enough to ruin your POI on a lite. If you are shooting that much creed at +$1 a round, you will be buying more guns and rebarreling anyway.

OP
D

dec0y

FNG
Thanks folks.

I ended up going with a Superlite stainless. I was not planning buying a rifle today but it was in stock and cheaper than the Lite (??), and I got the last two boxes of 6.5 CM ammo.

With medium Talley rings and a VX5HD 3-15 I’m at 7 lbs, 10 ounces, unloaded.

hodgeman

WKR
I think you made the right choice. While lighter rifles are harder to shoot than heavy ones, there's the matter of what is good enough. The 6.5CM is a mild mannered cartridge and is easy to shoot in light guns.

I've got a Christensen MPR and it's a fantastic shooting rifle...but I hate hunting with it and put it up for sale. Too heavy, awkward and angular compared to what I'm accustomed to.

OP
D

dec0y

FNG
Congrats. Merry Christmas to you! Where did you find the gun in stock?

Local Cabelas, Sportsman’s, and Fisherman’s marine all had several T3xs in stainless at good prices.

They don’t appear to be updating their online inventory so I just went to see and was pleasantly surprised.

If you are planning on doing any serious mountain hunting that extra 2 lbs will seriously suck by about 10 o’clock in the morning. By 3 pm you will hate your rifle.

I have the t3x ss super lite in 30-06 and I find the recoil not too bad with a limbsaver butt pad. It gets a little more. It gets a little heavier shooting 180 grains and up but I like 165 gr anyway. With a 50mm leupold Vx3i and a full magazine it weighs 7.5 lbs. I am very appreciative by the end of the day that it doesn’t weigh 9.5 lbs. the recoil on that little 6.5 shouldn’t bother you, and as a bow Hunter you have the skills to get in close, which is more fun anyway.

k80Titus

FNG
I own 5 Tikkas - 243, the pair of 6.5's, a 308, and the 7 Rem Mag. All are 1/2 MOA guns with the right load. All are sub MOA guns with decent factory ammo. None have walked at all when the barrels heated up. All have "S" type Harris bipods (they allow cant adjustments via a friction mechanism).
Hi, I am debating the same calibers, in the same rifle. What do you use each caliber for as primary purpose? Obviously there is overlap in each. Which one would you vote off, which one would you never sell and would you mod any of them? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

JiminAZ

FNG
.243 was bought as a youth deer gun. It is a super effective round and this rifle has killed more deer than anything in my safe. Just by virtue of having 6 kids it has been on a lot of hunts.

308 was the next one I bought and the one I use least. Would be the one I'd keep if I could have only one as it would range from deer to elk.

the 6.5 is used on deer and have also taken a cow elk. If I were buying a youth rifle today I'd just go with the 6.5.

The 7 rem mag is our primary Elk gun.

If I had to get rid of one it would be the CTR. Fun gun but no real field use.

But I don't have to get rid of anything, thankfully.

I feel no need to mod anything. The 308 I traded into, and it came with a Bell and Carlson stock which is nice but not necessary.

Other than that a couple of Yo Dave springs.

Will get a barrel or two threaded for a suppressor eventually.

Bump for this older thread. I have 3 Tikka T3Xs (6.5 Creedmoor, 308 and 30 06) and was considering a CTR in 6.5 for the range and maybe hunting. Based off feedback above I’m better off to keep shooting the T3x 6.5 Creedmoor. My T3x 6.5 is a phenomenal shooter.