First Saddle Hunt - Field Notes and Tethrd Product(s) Review

Super informative post. Thank you! I am leaning more and more towards switching to a saddle and the more real life reviews I read, the more I am thinking this is the route for me.
My advice is to just do it. Pull the trigger, and if you don't like it, you can always resell your saddle stuff on this forum or mainly saddlehunter.com for nearly the price you paid for it. Trust me, stuff on there goes fast. That's where I bought my saddle for a killer deal. I was just like you in regards to leaning towards it but not knowing what I was going to do for sure. I saw that saddle, pulled the trigger, and now I'm not looking back. It has been a game changer in my mind. Like I said, far superior than a classic ladder stand or ground blind.

I bought the saddle alone so I could test it out before spending other $$ on the rest of the gear. There are tons of DIY routes out there also, and with that being said, what works for me may not work for you. Like the OP said, he doesn't like the fit of the Mantis, but it fits me near perfect and I love it. The key is to just try different systems out.

Shoot

FNG
Great information, I tried a saddle years ago and didn't give it enough time. I debate yearly to try again. I like to move stands often so it seems like the way to gl.

Betta1208

FNG
Newer saddhunter myself. I went with an aerohunter kestrel flex. Had an order with tethrd and kinda ticked me off with their customer service. Delayed my order a few times while everyone that is an Instagram "expert" was showing up with a free saddle. This was year and a half ago. Can't talk to a real human everything thru emails to get order cancelled. Total opposite at aerohunter. Their is a real number and super nice informative folks on the other end that actually talk to you very nicely. Crazy huh? I think it's an awesome way to hunt mobile and safely. Been using a lot more this year and getting dialed in. Personally I think aerohunter equipment is over built and very durable. I'm using a ropeman on my lineman's rope which I feel helps with constant adjustment while climbing and stick with non mechanical prusik on my tether. Hawk helium's with a single moveable aider which is very simple and ridge runner platform I'm trying. Also have a ring of steps. Both are great but I'm thinking I like platform better. Would really like to try the new merlin from aerohunter as I think it addresses some of the things with the flex. It was a little intimidating at first and honestly once you put your trust in the equipment it's a great way to hunt. Just my observations so far.

TravisIN

WKR
First year in a saddle also. Loved it and probably won’t go back to stands.

On the ropemans, you said it in one of your first sentences. Give your self time to practice. I think you’ll get more comfortable with them and stick with them.

On the mantis, the molle webbing is tight but stuff won’t come off once you attatch it. I’m thinking it was designed to attach there gear pouches and be really secure and not to slip stuff on or off while wearing the saddle.
Another suggestions on the mantis, get a longer bridge. I bought a triad bridge from H2 saddles and it was a major game changer with the mantis. Made it way more comfortable and eliminated the hip pinch I had before.
I’m using a ridge runner platform from out on a limb mfg. It bites really good and handles side pressure awesome. It’s like anything though you have to set it properly or it won’t bite well at all. Practice and a few YouTube videos made a big difference. In early October I had to make several attempts at getting it set right when hunting. By November it was one and some each time.

I kind of compare saddles to hand held releases. People try them for two shots and give up bc it was a little different than what they are used too and don’t want to put in the work to learn something new that can greatly improve there success or overall experience. Saddles take some adjusting, but I really believe they are a big game changer one you learn them. Good luck with yours and keep us posted on what you end up doing and learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk