First & Second Focal Plane

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
In my experience, people tend to have pretty strong opinions on first vs second focal plane riflescopes. Since this is the Long Range Hunting thread, I'm interested to hear your opinions on the matter. Some of the big manufacturers offer SFP reticles almost exclusively, where others offer more FFP reticles and I'm curious what effect this has, if any, on choosing a new scope for long range hunters.

tdhanses

WKR
I’m no expert by any means but I was always a SFP person till I really gave the FFP a chance, now I’m not a fan of SFP. I find FFP more user friendly and easier to hold steady on target.

IMO:

Second focal plane if you dial both elevation and windage, and like darker more visible reticle at low power.

First focal plane if you generally use your scope at higher power, as reticle is very fine and light at low power. And you like to hold your windage in the reticle.

I like SFP on scopes that top out around 10x because I'm probably going to have it maxed out on any shots that I need to hold corrections. At 12x I start to prefer FFP, above that I want FFP. With hunting weight rifles I want all the help I can get to spot my own shots and make quick follow ups. That often means not cranking the magnification up to 15x. 18x, or higher to use the reticle accurately.