First Sheep Hunt (Desert Bighorn)...I'm hooked...

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I thought the color on this one was a little different than most. Most of the one's I've seen have been a little "blah" in color. Definately not the color of a Stone really. To me, most of the ones I saw were more the color of a Rocky Mountain Bighorn. This one was definately a little different.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah.

This is good stuff, Kotaman! Congrats.

I also love the color on that ram. Looks like he materialized out of campfire smoke.

Tilzbow

WKR
Cool looking ram. I also love the color of his horns, never seen anything like that on a DBHS. Congrats!

Not sure how I missed this the first time around! Great ram Cory and it was a pleasure sharing a Coues camp back in Jan. Best of luck on the rest of your hunts this year!

SDHNTR

WKR
That is awesome! Love it. Nice ram. Were you on the Baja side of the Sea of Cortez or the Sonora side? I wasn't aware of mountains coming down to the beach on the Sonora side? Sheep hunting sure gets in your blood doesn't it? They are like nothing else.

My first (and only, so far) was a desert too.

Attachments

• ram field shot 1.jpg
    ram field shot 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 69

kickemall

WKR
That is awesome! Love it. Nice ram. Were you on the Baja side of the Sea of Cortez or the Sonora side? I wasn't aware of mountains coming down to the beach on the Sonora side? Sheep hunting sure gets in your blood doesn't it? They are like nothing else.

I was wondering the same thing, looks like Isle Carmen out of Loreto, Baja Sur but can't be sure.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider

That is a NICE ram. Congrats! What did he score? I'm gonna guess 172", but hard to tell with just one view. I'm trying to bone up on judging before my desert hunt in July.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I was on the Sonora side just North of the little town of Puerto Libertad.

JJ - 3 months!!!!

Thanks Nick...hope to share a camp with you again sometime.

SDhunter...Great Ram...Who were you hunting with and where?

SDHNTR

WKR
My ram scored just over 169" and was aged at 7 yrs. He had great base mass at 15.5" And great length, he just lost mass quickly after the second measurement. No complaints though.

I hunted in CA. I drew the tag. I hired Terry Anderson but had somewhat of a unique deal going. I had already hunted the unit (which is huge!) for two weeks and scouted a lot DIY prior to hiring Terry so I knew where the sheep were in the part of the unit where I had been hunting. After a while though, my glassing help from friends started drying up and my wife was on my case (pregnant and at home with my 2.5 yr old wild man!) to get it done and hurry home, so I was glad I had Terry on my team. I also wanted to maximize my chances for multiple stalks as I really wanted to kill one with my bow. But actually, this particular ram is one that my brother found while scouting a month before the season started. Then we lost him for several weeks as we hunted other sheep. I missed a couple long shots with my bow and had lots of blown stalks on other rams. After hiking back from yet another blown bow stalk, my brother glassed up this ram again almost in the exact spot where we had seen him a couple months before. It was game on, and time to get back home, so out came the .270. Terry was, at my request, 50 miles away in another part of the unit, looking over fresh country when we killed this ram. It was an incredible experience watching this ram tip over. I would have loved to have bow killed him, but given my family constraints, I have no regrets whatsoever.

Here is a frontal view.

Attachments

• Ram field shot2.jpg
    Ram field shot2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 39

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Cool story. 169 is awesome. He looked even heavier from the side. I'd be thrilled to get one like him this summer.