First solo elk hunt. What went wrong?

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ll try to keep this fairly short but TLDR at bottom.

Went out for my first solo second elk hunt ever on Tuesday after getting out of work early. Drove two hours, parked my truck at about 5pm where I’ve been scouting all summer. Hiked up a sage brush slope for quarter of a mile and decided to cow call just to build some confidence since I’ve never called on a hunt.

After my first call I instantly hear a cow respond in a gulley to my bottom left.
Hike down the gulley while cow calling and get to the bottom right as I feel the thermals switch and beat the cow there by less than 5 minutes.
As the cow starts calling looking for me I hear a bull bugle up the ridge behind her about 500 yards. First bugle I’ve ever heard and it sounds amazing!
I let the cow pass and head up the other side of the gulley with the wind in my face.
Hit the top and see a small group of cows 300 yards away, feeding away with the bull bugling in the timber right behind them.
Here’s my first decision, do I try to get level with them or stay below them with the wind in my face? I choose to stay below and walk around to stay underneath them.
Second decision do I stalk in silent or call as I walk in? I decided to cow call and I think this was a mistake as I called another one of the cows decided to come see me. I couldn’t see her until I stepped around a tree and she was 50 yards away and looking right at me. She didn’t bark but decided to head back up to the group and pushed them another hundred yards away. I follow.
Bull is still above and bugling about 180 yards away at this point. I bugle back but he never responds. I cow call and the cows respond and the bull bugles to them.
I move along below them again but about 80 yards away another cow picks me out when I’m between cover, she takes the group and the bull another 100 yards and the cycle repeats one more time before they go up and over the top of the mountain.
Still pretty pumped for this being my experience for my first solo hunt and first two hours in the woods this year.

So based off of this info where did I go wrong and what would you have done differently? Also why wasn’t that bull interested in my bugles?

TLDR: first two hours in the woods had my first elk encounter, learned my calling doesn’t suck as much as I thought, I stalk way too fast, and im now addicted to chasing bugles.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t like to call if I’m going to be moving or stalking. It draws attention to your location. This is especially true if there isn’t much for cover. If I am calling I want the elk to come to me. Go slow and use your cover. I either call or stalk. I don’t try to do both at the same time

sneaky

"DADDY"
No cows in estrus so the bull doesn't have a real reason to respond to your bugle. Which brings up this question. What kind of bugle did you hit him with? Spike bugle? Locator? Advertising? Challenge? Lip bawl? If elk are visible and don't know you're there, do NOT bring attention to yourself. Walking and cow calling is a sure way to get busted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I’ve never been able to move in going uphill. Bulls sit at the edge of small benches looking down through timber.
I‘ll leave the calling advice to others with more calling experience. I use a call call to find elk, but once found I just sneak in. Maybe an occasional cow call to cover any noise I may be making.

jolemons

WKR
No cows in estrus so the bull doesn't have a real reason to respond to your bugle. Which brings up this question. What kind of bugle did you hit him with? Spike bugle? Locator? Advertising? Challenge? Lip bawl? If elk are visible and don't know you're there, do NOT bring attention to yourself. Walking and cow calling is a sure way to get busted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This. A bugle isn't just a bugle. I would have stayed silent and tried to put the sneak on the bull, or followed them to their bedding area.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I'll just reiterate, if you can see the elk but they haven't seen you then it is time to be a quiet as possible. Elk have amazing ears, once you start calling they know EXACTLY where you are and they are going to be looking for you. Calling is for locating and luring them into you, not for stalking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Call as much as you need to but not more than you have to. You checked number 1 when you made contact and saw elk.

You assessed the wind well....but when you add in vocalizations the elk WILL expect to see you.

Slipping in can be tough and at 5pm in my area they are still slipping into feeding areas. Elk walk much faster than humans....so you may never catch them until they stop.

When faced with this again, after making visual contact.....just chill out and watch and learn. You're never going to be on less pressured elk than the beginning days. Bulls do not have hot cows for a couple weeks yet so don't expect a fight.

You're in make contact, slip in, get ahead and play the wind mode for at least another week or two.....assuming you are north of Nevada.

KHNC

WKR
My first time in New Mexico, my hunting buddy ditched me to go with a guy he hired that was a guide in another state. We were in the Gila , so i knew big bulls were around and plenty of them. Problem was, i didnt know how to call at all , other than a cow call. Didnt even own a bugle, nor had any idea how to use one. But, I was in shape, and knew how to cover ground , listen, and sneak. Every day of that hunt i was able to move in on bulls quietly and get into bow range. An amazing amount of shit went wrong at the last minute during that hunt. I drew my bow 7 times in 8 days. Missed two bulls, one of which the guide called in after my buddy killed his bull. Now my main strategy is sneaking in on bulls.

Great topic!!!

Damn i have made this mistake so many times. its so easy to get caught up in calling. there's plenty of times i have internal arguments about wither i should call or not. the fellas above are right about elk being able to pinpoint you. i have had elk walk up to me look around and then turn and wander off after i had stopped calling for 10 minutes

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with most everything else already mentioned (don't call when stalking, etc). Another method I've used is when I spot a herd, I try to anticipate where they are headed and get in front and set-up. Unless they are bedded, they move fairly quickly even when feeding. This is easier if they are feeding towards you. Sometimes you can head over a ridge or down to a valley and work around them real quick. Sometimes you'll get it right, sometimes you'll never see them again. The hope is that they feed right into you.