First solo hunt, any advice?

Looks like I’ll be at it alone this year, since my hunting partner can’t get off work. I’ll be hunting Colorado’s high country for mule deer. Any advice for a first time solo hunter???

Marble

WKR
I have enjoyed my solo hunts more than any other. So enjoy!

Try to bring something to occupy your mind during boring times.

Eat and drink more than you think you need to. Even having 3 to 4 meals daily in the back country i loose weight. Bring a food that is always delicious and treat yourself.

Take anti-inflammatory before bed.

Get rest.

Have stuff handled at home before you go.

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Take a book that you just can't find the time to read.

My wife appreciates a texted from the inreach just to let her know I'm good....or when I need help packing out some meat she can rally the troops!

Think through your pack out. Shooting animal by yourself is easy, packing out an animal by yourself not so much. If you don’t have a backpack that is made to carry heavy loads then I would suggest getting one.

OP
flatlander51
Thank you all for the encouraging words and advice! I’ve actually never been alone for more then 24 hours so this is definitely going to test my mind!

Don't let your mind win
For me at least, that means convincing myself to actually come home and return to work. LOL

I've done the solo thing 2x now in the past 3 years. I definitely prefer it. I've spent up to 10 days straight by myself, only talking to my wife occasionally (every 2nd day) when I had cell coverage. We have a great relationship, and she is incredibly capable on her own, so that sure helps.

I love the freedom and flexibility I have when I'm solo. I can change my mind in a split second, and it won't affect anyone. I don't have to contact anyone or ask what they think about the idea. I just go. That is so incredibly refreshing, and relaxing.

As for fighting boredom, I have yet to get bored on a solo hunt. I always have a scouting/hunting plan that usually takes up 3-4 hours at the beginning and end of each day, and I use the 3-4 hours in the middle of the day to take naps, move camp if I need to, bathe, wash clothes, go get supplies/cell signal, etc. Not once have I ever felt bored, but I realize we're all wired differently.

I had some concerns before my first solo hunt, but by day 2 I realized that after being with my wife for over 30 years and raising 3 kids, it was the first time since 1988 that I had spent more than a day or two by myself. I had no idea how much I missed that.

Good luck and enjoy yourself. That's what it's all about.

I almost always hunt alone. I prefer it. Can do anything I want, go down any trail, get up any hillside, follow any hunch, etc. But I often get crazy...climb steep stuff I shouldn't be climbing alone. Stepped on leaves hiding/covering slick rock once in a drainage and started to slide / free fall down toward a 75 foot drop off. No brakes existed. Got ahold of the last tree there right before I would have hurled over the edge to my end. Many times I have slid/ fallen and cut myself or torn clothes . (So now I bring bandages and a mini sewing kit.) And in the steep/thick stuff had my watch ripped off, canteens ripped off, sunglasses ripped off, my pocket ripped open and phone fell out (had to reclimb to retreive), had my. 44 magnum sidearm ripped off (had to retrace several hundred yards for that.) Point is injury is your biggest enemy alone and steep or thick invites injury. Just be smarter than me and safer.