First solo hunt, any advice?

I almost always hunt alone. I prefer it. Can do anything I want, go down any trail, get up any hillside, follow any hunch, etc. But I often get crazy...climb steep stuff I shouldn't be climbing alone. Stepped on leaves hiding/covering slick rock once in a drainage and started to slide / free fall down toward a 75 foot drop off. No brakes existed. Got ahold of the last tree there right before I would have hurled over the edge to my end. Many times I have slid/ fallen and cut myself or torn clothes . (So now I bring bandages and a mini sewing kit.) And in the steep/thick stuff had my watch ripped off, canteens ripped off, sunglasses ripped off, my pocket ripped open and phone fell out (had to reclimb to retreive), had my. 44 magnum sidearm ripped off (had to retrace several hundred yards for that.) Point is injury is your biggest enemy alone and steep or thick invites injury. Just be smarter than me and safer.
Yea, this is something I don't do at all when I'm alone. My wife made me promise to be careful, and I hear her voice every time I get close to the edge of a ravine or consider crossing a slope with loose shale or ice, etc. That, combined with back surgery a few years ago has really made me more aware of the hazards I used to bring on to myself. It's just not worth it. Good words of warning there for sure.

Hard to enjoy the memories of a great hunt when you're dead.

its really dangerous...you shouldnt go....

can i have your tag? hahaha

naw man, the best time in the woods is being alone with just your thoughts and the sounds of nature. relish that time, not many people get to have it.

Rich M

WKR
I don't get all these mental things folks come up with - you are there to hunt, then do it.

Enjoy the solitude and the challenge of the chase. Folks at home will most likely still be there when you get home, rested and a better person for having gone.

Don't miss.

M22

FNG
Jot down a detailed hunt plan in an email to send to people - camp locations, hunt radius estimate, deadlines / timing, etc.

Don't let your mind convince yourself to leave early - and at the same time, exercise extra caution and skedaddle if necessity arises. I also find it harder to get up real early when I'm alone, as I can justify staying in the sleeping bag longer if I don't hear buddies getting up as well, and because of that I usually leave my watch (which I use for an alarm) just outside the tent under the entry fly, so I force myself to sit up, unzip, reach out and get the alarm switched off. Works for me, at least.

Enjoy it, and take lots of photos!

leave good instructions regarding your location. have some check in times. if you have onx give someone your onx login information and leave waypoints.. that way they can check in and see where you are or where you have been. have a good book or even upload some movies on your phone.

Download some good flicks on your phone for back at camp. It'll keep your head right enjoying a movie with dinner. Don't talk yourself out of not going a little further or a little harder.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

grefdog

FNG
I’m going to reiterate the communication with family. When I was younger one of the guys on a backpacking trip told his family the wrong date for our return. They expected us 3 days earlier than the plan. We arrived home a to search and rescue being called. Was not a good way to end a trip.

I do plenty of solo trips. They are very rewarding! I take my time and think my actions through before I act. I am quite sure footed and rarely fall down or trip. I hunt with some guys that injure themselves regularly! A great thing about solo hunts is that you do what you want when you want. You keep pretty busy while solo as you have to do EVERYTHING by yourself. Have fun and enjoy yourself!

I do plenty of solo trips. They are very rewarding! I take my time and think my actions through before I act. I am quite sure footed and rarely fall down or trip. I hunt with some guys that injure themselves regularly! A great thing about solo hunts is that you do what you want when you want. You keep pretty busy while solo as you have to do EVERYTHING by yourself. Have fun and enjoy yourself!

I think taking my time is the biggest difference when I hunt solo. I find I’m methodical and really take the time to analyze my moves. I also tend to still hunt much more and I might not kill more elk, but I do sometimes see more as a side effect of my lessened pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Thank you all for the encouraging words and advice! I’ve actually never been alone for more then 24 hours so this is definitely going to test my mind!

wait until you walk into strange woods on a mountainside in the dark at 4:00 in the morning :D

That said, don’t listen to your brain, and when you are telling yourself that it’s probably time to head back to camp just tell yourself 15 more minutes.. then go through the negotiation again until it’s past legal shooting time.

Elk97

WKR
Be realistic about how far you can pack out 200 lbs of meat by yourself and the time that will be needed to do it. If it's hot out you don't have the luxury of letting it hang for two days while you pace yourself to get it back to the truck. Personally, I'm limiting my pack outs to 1-1.5 miles depending on if it's up or down hill (but I'm 69 so your mileage may vary).

Finch

WKR
leave good instructions regarding your location. have some check in times. if you have onx give someone your onx login information and leave waypoints.. that way they can check in and see where you are or where you have been. have a good book or even upload some movies on your phone.

Brilliant about the OnX login. Can't believe I didn't think of it. Thanks!

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have mentioned spend the money and get an inreach if your able to just do you and your family have the peace of mind.

1. hunt the way you want to hunt, I’m
Sure if you’ve been hunting with others You prob make compromises at times hunt the way u want how u want to enjoy yourself

2. If your mind starts to wander and u think of leaving early, think of how Shit** you’re going to feel on the drive home and how disappointed youre
Going to be if you leave early bcuZ your alone (ya I made that mistake on a limited draw mule deer tag a few years back I use that as motivation not to give up early that was the worst car ride home after I got halfway home and it sunk in and realized I shoulda stuck it out)

3. enjoy the time away I actually enjoy hunting alone the more I’ve done it see reason 1 above.

4. This might not be true for you but is for me When you complete your hunt and do it alone it’s a different kind accomplishment you feel even if you don’t tag out just the fact of knowing you did it yourself and accoMplished by yourself is pretty rewarding.

kinda rambled there a bit but I’m a few beers in tonight haha but you get the point go enjoy yourself and you might find somethings out about yourself

OP
flatlander51
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! Looking forward to learning something about myself!!!

Solo is a great way in my opinion. It’s how I hunt 95% of the time. Headed out for a 7 day trip next week, can’t wait. A couple bits of advice

Know that it’s okay to be “scared” when you are by yourself. Use the fear to heighten your senses and make smart decisions.

If you are in bear/cat country - have bear spray or other forms of protection. On opening weekend this year I got the feeling that I was not alone a few times on day one, but never heard or saw anything. Day two I was resting on the edge of a clearing, heard a limb snap and turned around to see a cat about 20ft away watching me. I stood up, he ran off. It happens, we are in their territory and must respect them. Finished the hunt without ever seeing the cat again. But you can bet my head was on a swivel at all times after that, which actually helped remind me to slow down and take in my surroundings.

As many have said already, don’t take unnecessary risks crossing deadfall, etc. A sprained ankle or blown out knee will end a hunt quicker than anything. Take the “longer, safer” way around the obstacle. You don’t have to answer to anyone about why you took the extra hour to get up/down the hill

Reactions: RCB