First Solo Shelter

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

Just wanted to get recommendations on my first solo and potentially floor less shelter. Ultimately will be used for September elk hunts (have a wall tent for late season hunts) and canoe trips to the BWCAW here in northern MN. I've narrowed it down to the SO Silvertip with a smaller nest, or either the Rainbow or Stratospire from Tarptent. I'd like to have a net option of some sort, but don't really have a preference to have it built into the system if I don't have to. Also, I'm a smaller guy (5'5") so I have a little more available room than the average dude. Definitely want to have room to bring the pack/bow inside during crap weather.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm also considering the Durston X-Mid 1 man. I think floor plan and feature wise it is my favorite of all the options.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
Cimmaron does not cost or weigh much more and better headroom/space. Something to consider.

Last edited:
Tents get a lot smaller in person than on paper. I love my SO Cimarron as a one person or two person. It’s a lot more fun if you have someone with you anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
This stone glacier model is a great option. Can be configured for any kind of scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a couple 1 man tents and found that for many hunting scenarios a 2 man is way better for 1 guy with gear. I still have a 1 man MLD Solomid but I only use it where footprint size matters and there is a very low chance if rain. Going to CO I will always take a 2 man. Bad weather is easier to deal with when you have plenty of room for you and gear.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Great information guys, that I really do appreciate. I can definitely see where the extra space would be really nice if you're socked in or a day. Good thing is that with most of the models I've listed, they all essentially make a 2 man version of their 1 man. I guess my next question would be with the free (or semi) free standing shelters like the Doible Rainbow, if you were to grt some surprise snow would there be a really big worry about the roof caving in vs any of the trekking pole shelters? The roof angle on the pole shelters seems like it would handle snow way better.

j33

WKR
Durston Xmid is underrated. 21oz if you run it floorless (package & stakes included), add 10oz to make it double wall/full containment.

I bought one recently but haven’t spend more than a night in it so need more time. It’s extremely well thought out and top quality. Cheaper than anything else around.