First spotting scope, packing questions.

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a Viper HD 20-60x85. When packing in the BC, do you guys usually carry it in the neoprene sleeve? Do you protect it with another method? Also do you disengage the eye piece or carry as a whole unit?

wa_archer

FNG
Personally I go whole unit and normally just wrap in clothing or something that acts as padding that im already packing, extra shirt or between sleeping back and tipi once actually packed in and moving from camp to glassing spots normally just keep on tripod strapped to side. probably be safer inside case but havent had any issues. for sure keep lense caps on.

boom

WKR
the neoprene sleeve is too grippy on the interior of my pack. I like yanking it out quick and smooth, so no sleeve.

I always carry my spotter assembled and inside its little soft case/sleeve. The more I've thought about it, I feel I could remove my soft case as I don't feel it's really providing much benefit when I'm using the spotter and I don't really need it when it's packed away in my pack.

pc3

WKR
I have mine in a neoprene sleeve.....for me it was an expensive luxury. I want to look after it.

JRMiller

WKR
Wrap it in a piece of foam and use that foam as a glassing pad.
Agree. Every piece gear of needs a least two uses.
I use my gossamer pad for glassing/sit pad, to wrap/protect scope in, knee pad when dressing an animal, and under sleeping pad to prevent slippage